The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to find slightly smaller radiator?

thedsmguy

I'd like to run a 90% size radiator where the factory one goes keeping a/c but allowing me to run intercooler pipes on the side of the ac condenser and radiator. Factory size you would run into the radiator on the pass side so maybe someone knows of a different cars radiator or where to buy a aftermarket that is just a few inches less wide. I'd rather stay away from spending $300-400 if at all possible. I know a lot of people run the civic race style but I guess I'm really hoping someone will chime in with go find a "x" in the junkyard it will work with just a little fab work.

Thanks.

OMFGeofffff

I've heard of getting the core modified by removing a few of the columns so it's narrower.

cheekychimp

Quoting thedsmguy:
I'd like to run a 90% size radiator where the factory one goes keeping a/c but allowing me to run intercooler pipes on the side of the ac condenser and radiator. Factory size you would run into the radiator on the pass side so maybe someone knows of a different cars radiator or where to buy a aftermarket that is just a few inches less wide. I'd rather stay away from spending $300-400 if at all possible. I know a lot of people run the civic race style but I guess I'm really hoping someone will chime in with go find a "x" in the junkyard it will work with just a little fab work.

Thanks.

I don't know of a radiator that will work, but I am intending to do pretty much the same thing in a slightly different way. I'm using a Griffin core with inlet and outlet on your passenger side. I intend to fabricate new A/C condenser lines and because I will no longer need the driver side intercooler inlet I am going to move the radiator over far enough to make way for the intercooler piping. If you have a traditional core however this probably won't be an option. Just throwing that out there.

bustedsm

Scirroco radiator....check my build thread, you'll see why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheekychimp

It is a great mod and one I would like to do, but like myself the OP says he wants to keep the A/C which makes using the Scirocco Radiator more difficult because it sits where the A/C condenser usually goes.

89Mirageman

On my last Colt with a 4G63 swap I grabbed a radiator from a 90 Audi A100 at the junkyard. It fits down in the radiator support like the scirocco one but you should be able to mount it behind the AC condensor as well in the stock location. There is also one pic showing how I had the IC piping ran when I had the civic radiator but I was able to run it the same way with the Audi one however I don't have its exact measurements.

Edit: Autozone's site actually lists the measurements for both.

Audi A100- 24 1/8" x 12 1/8" x 1 1/4"
Galant VR-4- 26 1/4" x 14 3/4" x 1 1/4"

Last edited:

curtis

The audi's sciroccos and the passats from the early 90's all have the same layout. I'm using a scirocco radiator then a passat fan with the double fan with one motor. It took some work to make it fit and used VW fan mounting tabs to work but all went together and fabbed up sheetmetal shields over the endtanks. The passat radiator is just a few inches longer than the scirocco.

Now what i was thinking other day for my water to air setup is that I'll just use a passat radiator in front of my scirocco. 3 times the size of the normal water to air exchanger, more volume and I'll be able to easily seal the two together, which will help on cooling because the fans kick major tail. Now as for fans the passat from the early 90's had no grill so the fan pulls certious rpms and volume but the motor is two stage and long. the corrados from the same time had the same style fan but the fan motor is super low profile. I've just never found one in a junkyard yet and most ebay sellers know what they have and want sell just the motor off the setup.

Just looked and no corrado factory assembly on ebay but found this which is a smoking deal and the same one I have. Top to bottom fits perfect on a scirocco but the sides are just a little long and requires just some small tabs with nuts and bolts. I used nissan taillight gooey weatherstrip stuff to seal the tops and bottoms and has never gave any problems. Only thing with this the fan motor is long and the turbo inlet tube has to be angled back towards the trans then up but I had a s362 with a 4 inch intake pipe and it fit so just about any combination of turbo will work.

click me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts