The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick question, about stock ebay radiator

cupajoe

I need a cheap radiator just for now so I can ship my car because the radiator I have has a leak. I looked on ebay and I can find some that say direct replacement for around $50. Does anyone have an expereince with these? This wont be on for long, just to ship it. Only thing is that oem is 1" wide and most of these ones say 1 1/4. Would it still line up right you think? Thanks any help would be appreaciated.

click

Struc

I've got a aftermarket radiator in 56/1000 and it's been fine - no complaints. I paid about the same (when you factor in the $30 shipping on that item). I'd say go for it. It's an OEM replacement, so yes, the fit should be just fine.

cupajoe

Thanks for the input. Guess I might go ahead and get it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Vinny just wrote an excellent how to on what it took to get one to fit in his vr-4

14u2nV

^^I think you're talking about two different kinds of radiators.

You could just get a civic radiator and put it in. They cost under $100.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Good catch, Kenny!

Didn't even see the link in his post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The one in the link looks like a single row core with plastic tanks, and that sounds like trouble in more ways than one.

The one Vinny worked over to fit looks like an okay unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
But all he is looking for is a stock replacement too, and the one he linked to seems to fit that bill.

Basically, OP, I don't think anyone that has commented thus far has used that exact radiator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Looks like the one in the ebay pic even has a threaded bung to remove for the fan thermister.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Stock radiators were two core and had metal tanks.

Plastic tank radiators aren't necessarily junk, but a single core plastic tank unit just sounds like a step in the wrong dierction, even for a colder climate.

Joe, go and talk to your locar radiator shop.

Many times, they can repair what you have cheaper than you can get one shipped up there.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

Mine is stock, OE, the one the car came with, it has plastic tanks & a two core err...core.

When you say ship the car do you just mean you need to be able to drive it on and off a trailer?
if thats the case then you do not need a radiator at all.
i actually start new motors up without water in them and run them until the head is hot to the touch. as long as it only runs a few minutes at a time you will be ok.

cupajoe

Thanks for all the replys guys. I actually ended up getting this one. click

I'm shipping the car to florida to my next base. And they won't ship it unless everything is in good working order and even though the leak isnt all that bad it wont last a month. So thats all I need it for, just getting it down state. I'll either be going with a unit like possted my vinny or a 3 core 2.5" civic half radiator when I do my build. I'm just not sure how well that civic radaitor would hold up in DD in Florida. Ill let you guys know how it fits.

cupajoe

Hurlburt FL

Quoting anothernewb:
"
Been there, done this one already. Extremely weak tanks. I can show you pictures of what one looks like BLOWN apart."

Unfortunately yes we have on 1947. Should've posted the pics for the hell of it. I ordered the rad he posted the thread about about a couple months prier to that, and feel it was worth every penny. Now we didn't have to mod the bottom, just the top mounts a little.

cupajoe

Direct fit! And it looks good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned