The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Curious: injector sizing & BSFC

DR1665

Brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) is a function of pounds of fuel used per hour relative to power output (lbsFuel/HP) and is used to calculate target injector size, but I wasn't able to find anything regarding BSFC figures for the Galant here with the search. General consensus seems to be turbocharged engines should be 0.60-0.65 BSFC, but where does that figure come from? I'm not looking to go overboard with the math, since there's a point where injector needs take a backseat to market forces. (ie; Why pay more for 700cc injectors than for commonly available 720s?)

Assumptions:
BHP = 300, BSFC = 0.60, numINJ = 4, DC (duty cycle) = .80 (80%)

(300*0.60)/(4*0.80) = 56lbs/min * 10.50 = 590cc for 80% duty cycle at 300bhp

As BSFC increases, so too does injector size for a specified target.

I'm just curious. Stock injectors are 450cc, right? Do the math with 100% duty cycle and 300bhp is theoretically possible on 472.5cc injectors. I know. I know. This isn't an ideal situation, and I'm not suggesting some rookie asstard runs out and tries this in his barely maintained 4-door DSM, but it seems to me 280bhp would be possible on stock injectors, assuming the pump could keep up.

Don't really have a question with this one. More open to discussion, I guess. Seems like you could get into plenty of trouble on a set of 750s and a stock engine; pretty close to 400bhp, anyway.

Just spitballing.

AnotherNewb

I don't have much to add, however here is a link to RC's website with many other useful formulas in deterimining proper injector sizing for HP goals.

Click

the bsfc comes from how efficient the engine is. Many factors will affect it including cam profiles, compression ratio, ignition timing, etc. the .60 to .65 for a turbocharged engine is going to be fairly accurate, however I would lean toward the larger end of your choice of injectors. a slightly small injector will limit you a lot more than a slightly large injector. another thing you can use to manipulate injectors is fuel pressure. assuming your pump and regulator are capable, you can add pressure to make a smaller injector flow more. i generally run 50-60 psi depending on application.

AnotherNewb

You have to be careful how much pressure you run on your injectors, you can hold them shut with too much. Adjusting fuel pressure is a coarse adjustment, fine changes happen in the fuel maps. Increased fuel pressure isn't a replacement for undersized injectors.

You run 50-60 lbs 'base' pressure?

any aftermarket injector, and probably all oems since thats what aftermarkets are based on, will handle 75psi base pressure as long as there isnt anything wrong in the rest of the system like low voltage.
yes i generally will run 50-60 psi base depending on what my fuel pump can handle. Im not suggesting anyone else do it, im just saying its being done with no ill effects.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts