The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

H&R springs

Terry Posten

I am. Click the link in my sig below.

Struc

Me too. I really like the look, but is a fairly dramatic change in what I'm used to with the car. I keep hitting the bump stops. I've only driven it a few days with the new springs, though, so I may get used to it. There are some pictures in a different thread. I'll edit my post with that link.

Edit: click

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Struc: I think your struts may not be able to handle your H&R's.
I have H&R's with Koni yellow struts and feels about how my STi felt with stock suspension (as far as stiffness and control of spring)

OP: Apparently the H&R springs have to be cut in the back

SouthCaliVR4

I know i cut at least one dead coil in the rear, maybe one and a half /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Can't recall

H&R sports w/17x7.5 5zigen wheels & 225/45's

Oh yea, using kyb agx's.

Last edited:

Struc

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:

I bought them used as a strut/spring combo already assembled. The struts are GR-2's.

The ride is fine - no complaints there - we just have crappy roads around here.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Mine are not cut.

Brunoboy

I blew my gr2's and my AGX's, both had HnR springs, Right now Evo suspension seems the best way to go.

Launch

You guys are cutting coils from the H&Rs on koni yellows? Doesn't that effect ride quality tremendously? I thought it was completely bolt on affair.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Launch:
You guys are cutting coils from the H&Rs on koni yellows? Doesn't that effect ride quality tremendously? I thought it was completely bolt on affair.

I can only speak of the h&r's with the agx's. on mine it left the car with a ton of rake. I didn't like it so i cut a couple out of the rear only & only the stacked "dead coils", there was no effect on ride quality what so ever.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting Struc:
Quoting KiNgMaRtY:

I bought them used as a strut/spring combo already assembled. The struts are GR-2's.

The ride is fine - no complaints there - we just have crappy roads around here.

GR-2 is designed as an OEM replacement with OEM springs. I had GR-2's with H&R springs when I bought 611/1000 and the ride was horrible.

KiNgMaRtY

Unless H&R changed the rear springs? Can those of you with the uncut and cut springs post a part number if possible? I know the H&R's that are on 802 are cut per prev owner and the ones on 611 who knows but I remember there being a bit of difference in how many coils. I will have to check next time I work on my buddies now 611

thats what im running and the rear definitely sits higher then the front. as for ride. i like em.

dmj

I had to cut one coil on my H&R's in the rear it was way to jacked up before . It sits like this now

dmj

I am running KYB GR2 struts front and rear. Ride is extremely smooth almost like a luxury car a little too soft for my taste though.

BluFalcon

Remember, most aftermarket struts for our cars are made for DSM's. The front spring perch on the DSM struts is actually lower than the stock GVR4 strut, so the H&R's are going to sit lower in the front than originally intended and give it that "raked" look. I ended up cutting about 3/4 of a coil out of my rear H&R's before I was happy with the way the car sat. I still think the front sits too low with the H&R's. Luckily I have a set of Ground Controls going on it when I get my car back, so I can "fix" that.

blackvr4

My galant H&Rs KYB AGXs no cut coils, have been thinking about cutting the coils, really not feelin the rake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
30085_1444768602649_1336155098_31187586_6017886_n.jpg

dsm10o0

My car has H&R's on KYB AGX's. The back really need to be cut.

photo-25.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts