The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How expensive is your VR4?

Jesh

Just curious how much money do you guys have invested into your galant so far? And how long have you had it? I personally have had mine 3 years and have about $16,000.00 into it. I've never had the car to a shop, so all that money is strictly in parts. Sad part is, it's only putting out maybe 250hp.

SmoothCustomer

I was looking at similar numbers if I had kept my old one because it was just problem after problem. The current one I have about $2000 into including the car I think but it doesn't run yet.

Jesh

Its just sad to know that I could have bought an evo by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

stealthtt24

Price of car plus most of the stuff I have purchased for the Galant- $3000. Car doesnt run, does not include the price of the motor/tranny since I had that stuff already. Not bad, but the car is still damn far from running it upsets me. Just want to drive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbowop

12 years and probably somewhere just under $30k including the $7k price of the car back in '98. Setups have come and gone, sold off and new parts purchased, but that seems to be what I have into it when I add up all the crap.

Then there is 503. Three years and probably a total of $4k.

Both cars run and drive well. I don't look at it like "I could have had an Evo by now". I enjoy owning the GVR4's instead.

Last edited:

Jesh

Don't get me wrong, I love my VR4! And I wouldn't trade it for an Evo. And the knowledge i've gained is invaluable. But just to look at the amount of money spent on a 19 year old car versus buying a clean reliable evo, that I would hopefully rarely have to work on just makes me think... should I have bought a different car? But all in all, I don't regret one decision I've made regarding this car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VR4coop

I just looked at my notes from 2006 (before the motor rebuild) and I was at $26k.....

Oh well.

P.S. The car is for sale for $10k. hahahahah

Thanks
Clint

Quoting Jesh:
Its just sad to know that I could have bought an evo by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

That's a dumb way to look at these cars.

Galantvr41062

I bought mine in 2001, so coming up on 10 years. I paid $5000 and it had 77,000miles. I replaced the clutch and drove it for a while. Then the go fast thing hit and its been all down hill from there. I did a motor rebuild, replaced the turbo with a Mutt level 1, made intercooler piping for a FMIC, up graded the clutch/flywheel/fuel pump/AFC2.

Then after that I built a wiseco/eagle motor, 60trim turbo and supporting mods, aem ems, etc. I sold most everything after swapping the setup into my red 90 Talon awd. I would say up to then I had around $16k including the price of the car.

The current build has been in the making from about 2004. But in reality it took about a year at 20 or so hours a week with 2 guys working on it. The parts total in my current setup is huge. I had over $8,000 into the engine alone, that lasted 300 miles before cracking the cylinder wall, with all the parts and the 4 machine shops it was at before it ran. I had the fire and need to buy another AEM EMS, but I figure total in parts for this setup $30,000. Then the labor, if you figure $60 an hour for 2000 hours. Based on that I am well into the 6 figure range.

But lucky for me we have done all the fabrication and custom 1 off parts for this build. So total out pocket in the $40,000 range.

And for my money spent I have come to 650awhp on a DynoDynamics dyno running E85 and 38psi. Ran a best of 10.06@148mph in the 1/4 mile on the second pass ever with this new setup. More to come for sure in 2011.

~John

Last edited:

4thStroke

Quoting Jesh:
a clean reliable evo, that I would hopefully rarely have to work on

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I figure about $15k into mine. I'm scared to add it all up and know for sure. I've had it for 2 years and 2 months or so.

Last edited:

dewman

Lol I had an evo also. When they break, sh*t adds up quick

Last edited:

citymunky

Holy crap. I can't believe some of the numbers I'm reading.

I had the car for a few months, and I have $$$ in gas.

About $40 for front brake rotors
About $80 for 3" Downpipe

About $180 for Wideband and 2 GM IAT sensors (Both not installed yet)

After I get a MAP sensor, and Ostrich 2.0, I don't plan on any part performance parts until something goes bad.

Jesh

Quoting Jesh:

After hearing some feedback about this, I'm going to retract this statement. Apparently evo's are not all they are hyped up to be.
Edit: But I still want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

524of1000

2 Years, 2 months, 6 days. Probably about $8k including the car and the head that I didn't pay for (thanks again, btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Jesh

Quoting turbowop:
12 years and probably somewhere just under $30k including the $7k price of the car back in '98. Setups have come and gone, sold off and new parts purchased, but that seems to be what I have into it when I add up all the crap.

Then there is 503. Three years and probably a total of $4k.

Both cars run and drive well. I don't look at it like "I could have had an Evo by now". I enjoy owning the GVR4's instead.

Wow... so that's what it cost to go fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

4thStroke

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That's how much it costs to look and drive nice. 1051, fast? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

2of9

I've poured about a little over $2,000 on mine. She's probably worth twice that price as of right now.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That's how much it costs to look and drive nice. 1051, fast? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Werd, I have the slowest GVR4 on the board, yanno? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Haters gonna hate. Spencer is just mad that he spent so much on a setup that puts out ridiculous power, only to have to detune it because it breaks so often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

I bet more than half the money I have in my car is for items like JDM bumpers, wheels/tires, paint, seats, brakes, etc. Not a whole lot spent on power actually. Still stock bottom end with 140k miles on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts