The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

192/1000 blew my engine and build thread.

Boostdtalon

Well as things would go. Blew the engine on the way home from Winston Salem today. Pretty sure I threw something out of the bottom. Won't know until I look at it tomorrow since it was already dark when I got home. I also may have had my emergency brake line snap on me. After we got it towed back to the house. The car would not move off of the flat bed with it out of gear and the lever down. The driver had to nudge it so I could park it.

Good news is that the engine I took to the machine shop is ready to be picked up. So all I'll have to do once I get that is order a new water pump, oil pump, pistons rings, and water pipe. I'm sure there will be other small items I'll have to order but those are the major ones I can think of right now that I don't already have.

I have been working on getting a rebuilt engine ready for the last few months. This is nothing crazy as the car will be a street driven car mainly and occasionally hit up a road course or autox. I had a head built a couple months back with S.I. SS valves (standard size), Manley Ti retainers and springs.

I'll throw up a list of things I have at the moment.
built head
ported evo3 exhaust manifold
gates racing timing belt with new pulleys
ARP headstuds
cometic gasket kit with MLS headgasket
Hyundai VC

Thats all that comes to mind right now.

So i join the I blew my first engine club. Don't know if thats a good thing or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

14u2nV

Are you sure it's your engine? The fact you think it threw something out of the bottom and it won't move out of gear makes ne think trans or transfer case. A snapped brake cable won't lock the breaks, just the opposite. You have to put tension on the cable to pull the brake, snapped would have zero tension. I'd check those before you get to far into it

Boostdtalon

yeah it was leaking oil from the the drivers side. I'm not 100% on why the could failed to move after we got it moved. That will have to be something I'll find out in due time.

alansupra94

The question you should look into is WHY your motor blew. What are you running for tuning?

Boostdtalon

that engine is stock and i'm on a dsmchip with a evo maf and boost is set at 8 lbs. This engine has been abused and hung up wet by the PO. PO had a holset, safc, boost turned up, and a few other things. He took it all off after he blew his holset. It had several issues that in order for me to address I would have had to pull the engine. It had a few leaks and was burning oil from the piston rings more than likely. I'm willing to bet it was oil starvation causing it to spin a bearing which probably caused a snowball effect.

Boostdtalon

WP_000010.jpg

Evo3 manifold and Megan Racing strut bars showed up today. Thanks Nate!

Boostdtalon

Went thru the engine best I could without tearing it apart. Definitely blew the headgasket from what I can tell. I got the car to move for just enough to check the trans. Once I get a place to work on it I'll pull the engine and go thru it to be sure. In the mean time I'm going to continue getting the other engine ready. Maybe I'll make this one a 2.3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

Thanks Terrance, right now the only thing I'm going to need is a garage to work on it in. I may be able to use my buddys auto body shop but I haven't been able to talk to him yet. I can do the engine assembly in my basement.

Boostdtalon

Well picked up the block this morning from the machine shop. Also ordered all the parts needed to assemble the engine. I will post picks when I get home from school today.

Terrance362

WORD! That is great, when are you looking to be done with the build? I wish you luck. I know how things come up and the car has to be put on the back-burner

Boostdtalon

Little update, I'll post pics tomorrow. Got the engine back together for the most part. All that's left is install balance shaft bearings, water pump, oil pump, and timing components. Than I'm finished until I can pull the other engine and pull the parts I plan on reusing off of it. I'm off this next week, so I'm gonna try and get it all done and installed. Hoping to be breaking in the new engine by this time next week. Wouldn't be such a big deal except I don't have a garage and don't even have the space to do the swap. Trying to find a place to do it now. I've got a friend with a body shop that might let me use a spot.

rmontalvo23

You don't have a local Storage company in your area? we used to rent a storage unit for 1 month for like $125 and a bunch of use would take turns bringing our cars there and doing our mods or engine swaps.

Boostdtalon

Nothing large enough for a car. Got to go by a buddies auto body shop on Monday and see if he can squeeze me in. Big bummer is not very many car friends around here and the few i have done have garages.

do it the old school way in the driveway lol. sounds like you are making good progress though keep posting pics and show your progress.

Boostdtalon

WP_000027.jpg

How the engine is sitting at the moment. Got to find a place to pull the old engine and swap some parts over.

WP_000024.jpg

Another broken bolt discovered..... great. This is one of the bolts for the fuel rail.

WP_000025.jpg

This was the oil cap that came with this engine. Figured I'd sand it down to get the tarnish off and cleaned up the CF with goof off. Decided to throw down some clear to help it stay pretty.

WP_000019.jpg

I got this VC and it's physically in great shape. I don't know what the deal with the paint was but after using two cans of stripper. I decided I don't care for this one to look all that flashy and put it on. I have a Hyundai VC that I may eventually put on. I had to take a knife, paint scraper, and paint thiner to get the gasket off and cleaned up. I've never dealt with a gasket that was that much of a pain to get off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif

Boostdtalon

Well after some time I finally was able to locate a place to do the engine swap on the car. We got it towed over there Friday before it started to rain.

2011-04-23151148.jpg

We dove into the car Saturday pulling the engine harness and other cables and such out of the way. As I was pulling the starter I realized that the something was wedged between it and the block. A quick tug and I was holding a good sized piece of cast iron in my hand. Well as that would suggest something had broke loose. Upon further inspection I found this and was able to easily pull it out of the gapping hole in the back of the block.

2011-04-23151130.jpg

We ran into alittle hassle getting the transfer case bolts out. So after my buddy cut his arm pretty good, we called it quits for the day. I came over this morning and within 20 minutes I had the last two bolts out and the transfer case on the ground. I found that both of the front axles had torn boots and would need to be replaced. I actually broke the drivers side axle pulling it from the transmission. But with alittle push and tug we were able to get the engine/trans out and on a tire to rest till I can tear it down and move what I can over to the new engine. So stay tuned, with hopes I'll have the new engine in the car and getting it all bolted down next weekend.

2011-04-23151113.jpg

2011-04-24155232.jpg

2011-04-24155240.jpg

I also got my harness bar installed with my new Schroth harness the other day.

2011-04-19124032-1.jpg

2011-04-19125351-1.jpg

2011-04-19161507-1.jpg

Boostdtalon

Heres a better picture of the block. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

2011-05-11164654.jpg

finally got the timing belt installed and setup. Gonna clean up the oil pan I got and install that today. I still have to exhaust bolts I need to get out. So that will be fun.

2011-05-12190922.jpg

coolclean577

wow. that looks like that was fun when that happen. You got the same vc as me that sittin in a box now bec went to my black one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned