The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who has a valve spring compressor I can borrow?

SmoothCustomer

I won't need it until mid december but I figured I should start looking now so I don't get in a bad situation, so who has one?

beaner

Shipping is probably the cost of just making one. Get a big enough clamp and notch out a socket.

JNR

You forgot to mention if the head will be on or off the engine? Make a big difference in the kind you can use.

Somebody used to lend one out on here (the style so you can install on engine), but that was many moons ago and they lost, or deleted, all the past stuff on this site. Also, somebody posted a site that had this style relatively cheap, but again, who knows if it's in the archives.

JNR

Oh good, that makes it easier then...Go to Sears and get one on sale (avoid chinese junk). I believe they carry Lisle, K-D and such still and if not in their stores, then on their online/printed catalog.

Sr71sss

I modded a sears valve spring compressor tool with a chopped down 18mm long socket with a window cut into it to pull the keepers as you compress it, cheapo but has worked for me for more than 10 years now, thanks to Tom Stengal from the good 'ol BADSMer days.

I'll see about posting a pic of my dinosaur compressor tool that you can make after a bit of welding of the socket

mitsuturbo

This is what i have. Been using it for many years now.
Excellent compressor. Locks down and allows you to remove valve locks easily.

PICT4281.JPG

I'd seriously consider buying this if i didnt have one already.

click

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

im surprised nobody mentioned the euroexport tool, the one that bolts to the head.

EuroExport Valve Spring Tool - click

if all else fails, you can borrow mine. im sure shipping wouldnt be bad between CT and NY. its really nice & easy to use!

JNR

^^^That may be the one I was thinking of, although thought they had a site, or perhaps it was a different brand...I have at least one seal that is bad on the exhaust side; not terrible, but need to fix and I have the parts, just dreading doing it (removing cam(s) and such)...may as well do them all!

alansupra94

Doesn't like Advanced Auto and those other chains have free tool lending service? I would call and see if they have the tool because I have called and apparently they don't have nor lend timing lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

524of1000

I've used a big harbor freight C clamp with windowed socket JB welded onto it a few times. Works like a charm and cost all of $5.

blackvr4

Just buy this

click

Snap on Blue point tool GA317 Works like a charm! easy to use and I think its relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned