The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinion on painting a non stock color

OMFGeofffff

I'm kind of interested in hearing what you guys thought of painting a vr4 a non stock color. I know a few of you may think that it will lose its rarity in a way. I know painting a white, black or green one is slightly different than gray. I'm not sure what to do.

Ps: please no "this color is the fastest" haha

Polish

If you had anything but KG I'd say go for it, but KG is awesome. I'd just repaint it stock KG.

Barnes

Do not change the color if it is KG. We will hunt you down otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Its nice to keep it one of the OEM colors but its your car and you should paint it in whatever color you like and suits you best IMO. Just maybe not lime green or caca brown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd go for the best of both worlds and look into either vinyl wrap or the plastidip paint people are playing with.

Then you can have the car whatever color you want but if you decide to sell it then it can be reverted to its factory color.

boostedinaz

As for the color itself that is up to you, however, I say unless you are planning on doing it correctly (pulling out the interior, pulling all the trim, allt he body work etc...) I wouldn't paint a different color.

vtecds1

If losing value is what your worried about, I would pick a neutral color. Pearl white would be my first choice if I were to repaint mine.

shredder2010

KG is to nice to paint a different color id just have it repainted the same color IMO

Boostdtalon

I'm on the same fence as you, except mine is black. Firstly it's your car. If you want something other the KG than do it. If I had a KG than I would keep it.

Brunoboy

Quoting Darksyne:
I'd go for the best of both worlds and look into either vinyl wrap or the plastidip paint people are playing with.

Then you can have the car whatever color you want but if you decide to sell it then it can be reverted to its factory color.

Ive been playing with plastidip, imo its a nice texture and look, its like liquid rubber/vinyl. I did my rails and i am doing the whole bottom of my car in it.

donkeylips

I think all of the factory colors are nice, and I usually don't like the idea of color changes unless it's a really nice color that was either never offered for the car, or a crappier version of that color was offered. And it's got to look like it came that way from the factory. For some reason I'm less opposed to painting a car that is currently black or white, I don't know why, I guess I'm weird that way. At least with black, if you don't paint the bay, or the area inside the car and you pull the carpet up or something, at least it's nice neutral black. The problem is - I love black cars and would probably never change one.

Pick a Mitsubishi color, or better yet, a color that Galants actually came in, even if we can't get them on our usdm vr4s. If you want blue, nordic blue is nice, or if you want red, do a red that other Galants could come in.

As far as value - will anyone ever realistically restore it to factory condition? One time I heard on a radio show that changing the color of a car really doesn't affect its value all that much; I was pretty surprised.

OMFGeofffff

I almost feel bad for even thinking about wanting to change the kg. almost makes me want to find someone to trade shells but I know its going to be hard since mines in not the best condition.

OMFGeofffff

Hmmmm anybody see a two tone kg? Kg top w/ black bumpers/side panels?

Quoting brunoboy:
Quoting Darksyne:

Ive been playing with plastidip, imo its a nice texture and look, its like liquid rubber/vinyl. I did my rails and i am doing the whole bottom of my car in it.

Definitely post some pics when you have it done! I was very surprised at how well it turned out and the ability to peel it off is a huge bonus.

dustyduff

I say paint it whatever color you want. I know people talk about "preserving" the rarity of these cars, but just about everyone here has modified their car in some way (some more extreme than others). My car is at the paint shop right now as we speak and I did not go with a factory color, but can't recall the exact paint code for it. The car was Summit White, but I decided on a brighter white to match the paint I painted the engine bay with.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts