The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help me find out what type of turbo is this

curtis

Its a bullseye turbine housing old style with the internal wastegate flapper welded up so the last owner had a external gate on a stock manifold probably because they were using a stock or 2nd gen 02 housing.

As for the turbo its a garrett or garrett style with a non anti surge housing since its a .60 ar its probably a 57 trim size. Any better than that you'll have to pull off the housings and measure the blades across the small and large diameters. As for the color of the compressor housing it kind of looks like a master power which necessarily isn't a bad thing because I've seen some of them that lived forever and pulled like a bullet train.

It looks to be fresh out of rebuild with the paint on the blades and it rusted the way it is probably has been taking up space for a while in a shop

mitsuturbo

it looks, um... better than a 14b
if i had to "guess" i'd agree (without question) to the BEP hotside, and i'd venture a guess as to it being some ebay turbo

ma70t

i was told by a member on dsm forum that this looks like a pte sc61 which i looked up on the web and they are almost identical also check all over ebay and found nothing like it lol

curtis

have you done measurements of it yet? If its that important to know measure everything and sent that and pictures direct to precision to see. If your keeping it bolt it on and go at it. If its a 61mm unit and your still on a 14b best start looking for injectors of 1000cc or larger and the rest of the supporting mods. Even on low boost that thing will flow more than a 14b turned up on kill.

vtecds1

I might as well jump in on this...

Can anyone post pics of what to measure? I have a Turbonetics but don't exactly know what trim it is. Does anything have to be replaced when taking it apart just to take measurements?

mitsuturbo

Remove the compressor housing, and measure the distance across the blades at the top, then the distance across the bottom of the compressor wheel.
You should not need to replace anything.

vtecds1

^^^Thank you sir...

brisvr4

Looks like a 50 trim from those sizes.
About the same as my PTE 5031.

ma70t

what is the a.r on your cold side housing and is yours also water cool as well as oil cool the turbo i have is oil cool only no water cool any info would be great i cant use this turbo untill i figure out more.how much power dose the pte5031 support

brisvr4

Cold side AR is 60 with a 3inch inlet and 2 inch out.
It's oil cooled and has journal bearings not ball.
The only other real difference seems to be that mine had a PTE exhaust housing.

mitsuturbo

Quoting ma70t:
the measurement of the turbo 2 1/8 on top of the blade and 3 1/8 what is trim would it be

A precise measurement with a dial caliper would be of great worth here.

you can also try asking on theturboforums.com since lots of those guys use masterpower turbos and many have tried ebay turbos.

Galantvr41062

It looks like a 50trim, based on the measurements given. If its not a 50 trim, it could be a 54/57/60 trim turbo. The 60 trim would surge but they all make ok power on a dsm.

~John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts