The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID kits?

Brunoboy

Ddmtuning.com 55$ shipped for our cars

SleepinGVR4

I would never buy a kit with out projectors with a cut off. Your just going to blind people at night. The only real way to have HID in our cars is to do a OEM retro-fit. And you won't be able to do it for $55. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Maybe he is tired of getting blinded cant beat them join them to each his own

turbowop

If you can't beat the douchebags you join them? I don't fuckin' think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

HID's in a non-projector headlight look retarded. And hurts light output to boot. I guarantee the stock lighting is better than some cheapo Chinese blue/purple/SUPERFUCKINGWHITE ghetto HID's.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
I would never buy a kit with out projectors with a cut off. Your just going to blind people at night. The only real way to have HID in our cars is to do a OEM retro-fit. And you won't be able to do it for $55. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

had a DDM tuning set of HID's in my galant since a week after i bought it. went with 35watt and 4000 range, no one has ever flashed me and friends driving in front of me have never complained about the brightness, i also have 93 housings.

Brunoboy

93 is different on light output

14u2nV

those of you worried about blinding people, if you used hid on the high beams only, what would be the issue?

Whoodoo

The difference is that an HID light source is an arc of light. In a regular bulb, there is a coil of tungsten emitting light. The difference between these is much more than you think. In order to get all of the light emitting from your light source, you need to do some trickery with mirrors. The geometry of reflecting surfaces you need to get an incandescent light source to illuminate the area in front of you without any hot spots or dark spots is VERY different from that of an HID light. Bottom line is if you just put an HID bulb in your 93 housings (even though it may be for your high beams), the light will not go in the best place possible. You'll have light spots and dark spots and the higher light output of the HID bulb may not do you any good in the end.

That's not even getting into whether the bulb you get with a cheapo HID kit is any good or not. A philips HID bulb will set you back *at least* 50 bucks if not more. The reason why they are more expensive is because they are very precisely made. The arc in a philips bulb will sit exactly where it needs to be in relation to it's base. The arc of a no name brand cheap bulb may be a little closer or a little farther away. This slight variation can make a big difference in how the illumination pattern you see in front of will look.

There was a great link to a website that does HID stuff right. It ain't cheap, but its done right. The retrofit source

for god's sake PLEASE /thread

14u2nV

Your argument is moot though, as everyone already knows that you won't have "true" hid without the accompanying design/research. Putting HID bulbs, that are in fact brighter than stock, will still be brighter than stock even WITH the lack of supporting housing just based on the output. Nobody is saying they want to light up the countryside with them. Your argument is akin to saying that putting 500+hp in a galant is idiotic because it was never made to be that powerful nor aerodynamic. Just because something isn't going to be "perfect" doesn't mean it won't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

What he said. Also read this click me

also I'll add the 93 lights use a series of rows of different angles to spit the light forward where the 91-92 are a smooth surface inside and use the defracient gradients of the ugly lens to split the light up. If you want he look and performance of bright Hid's you need projectors with the proper focal points.

Last edited:

i have hids in my 3000gt and seen them in co-worker cars on a normal/average light housings. sure, it can be done, how effective? very, the benefit,? just for the driver. however, the hot spot and dark spots are still a problem regardless. and im talking about the HID's with projectors, maybe its my bulbs, cheap china bulbs...

i have even been flashed with HID's with my projector 3000gt setup. with projectors and a cheap bulb, i still blind people. i have 93 head lights on the galant and i wont be putting hids on it just because of how HID's work.

can he do it? yes
should he? if he wants to...
do i like it on 91,92 or 93 lamps? no.

its your car, do what you want.

my 3k with hid and halogen fogs, painted housing by FET.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 w/ H.I.D. 6000k headlights & FET CeWe-Lite Super Projector M-33P @90w (FET's are using halogens, not HID, bitchen pattern and spread) those FET's ran me 250$ + shipping

when i show the shot of the lamps on the house wall, you can clearly see the HID hot spots. just a fyi/example. check out how nice the pattern of my halogens fogs are, design over comes brute force.

hope this helps, even a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Easy bro dont get your panties in a bunch not everyone can afford uber expensive retrofits or genuine hids. If thats what he can can afford as his lighting solution then thats up to him. If as you quote the "douchebags" then wake up man there are millions of them out there just because someone adds cheapo hids doesnt make them a douchebag. Are we douchebags for doing some the things we do to our cars? Someone who is a purist might look at us that way for modifying our cars the way we do does that mean they are right? I dont think so and btw I also run hids in my 93 headlight setup so am I a douchebag too? Come on bro ease up a bit thats just your opinion no DISRESPECT to you.

Quoting turbowop:
If you can't beat the douchebags you join them? I don't fuckin' think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
HID's in a non-projector headlight look retarded. And hurts light output to boot. I guarantee the stock lighting is better than some cheapo Chinese blue/purple/SUPERFUCKINGWHITE ghetto HID's.

turbowop

If you can't afford to do a proper retrofit, then don't f***ing spend money on HID's for a reflector housing headlight. It's a waste. The only reason anybody does it is because they for whatever reason don't like the way halogen headlights look. "OMG, they're too yellow!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

The stock headlights with halogen bulbs work amazingly well. Better than most other OEM halogen headlights I've ever seen. Why make them worse just so you can impress people with your blue/purple/white headlights? Who gives a f***, really?

And yeah, most of the people I see with cheapo HID kits in their reflector housing headlights are douchebags...and there are a LOT of them. I see them on everything from Honda Civics to Escalades.

Cheap HID kits are the new Autozone wing/fender vent/chrome door trim/NOS floor mat or steering wheel cover/rice.

Last edited:

Lol damn bro you are super ANTI CHEAP HID KITS huh? I see your point though no hard feelings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

turbowop

It's the mentality that people have who feel they need to modify their car in some way, but can't afford worthwhile mods. So they settle for the cheap sh*t that can be had at the local autoparts store to get their satisfaction. Unfortunately, most of those mods are worthless, or make whatever part of the car they're modifying either less attractive, or less functional. Cheap HID kits are one of those mods.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting turbowop:
If you can't afford to do a proper retrofit, then don't f***ing spend money on HID's for a reflector housing headlight. It's a waste. The only reason anybody does it is because they for whatever reason don't like the way halogen headlights look. "OMG, they're too yellow!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

The stock headlights with halogen bulbs work amazingly well. Better than most other OEM halogen headlights I've ever seen. Why make them worse just so you can impress people with your blue/purple/white headlights? Who gives a f***, really?

And yeah, most of the people I see with cheapo HID kits in their reflector housing headlights are douchebags...and there are a LOT of them. I see them on everything from Honda Civics to Escalades.

Cheap HID kits are the new Autozone wing/fender vent/chrome door trim/NOS floor mat or steering wheel cover/rice.

AMEN!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
For those not in the know (or don't care), there are very complex light pattern, glare and other standards that must be met by manufacturers to make the lighting correct, useful and legal. Will they shine light? Sure. Will they actually increase your vision and improve your vision? Not likely without proper design and testing. Will they be a problem for other drivers? Possibly, maybe even likely.

Is it then a useful mod? Unlikely. Are JDM lights a useful mod? Unlikely. There are things we do that are for appearance only, and that is subjective. But this one crosses over as possibly being appearance only, but with the possible side effect of decreasing performance. Not that that hasn't been done before...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts