The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM RS Hood Vents in a 1G & a ***240***

I normally don't post customers cars here but since it's got some E39A on it, I thought why not..

We finally installed some E39A vents on a customer's 1G. While I would've liked to put them a little further apart, we couldn't as they would be off centered due to the hump. I would've prefered to put them a little lower which we would be able to space them out a little but then we didn't think they would be that effective because that would put them right over the radiator. Hence the current location. Let me know what you guys think.

This car is 700 @ the front wheels. We still need to do a big brake upgrade to finish it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsuturbo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif
Customer wants... customer pays... customer gets.

That's about all i have to say about that.

I forgot to mention that this is a daily driver & the temps would rise while in traffic. The vents are to help get rid of the hot air & keep the temps down. It will eventually get painted & should blend in more. While there isn't anything out there specifically for this car, these seem to be the best solution. Low profile & very functional. Those hp #s is boost only. It will be retuned shortly with some NO2 spray ~150-200 shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I would have probably just gotten a better aftermarket fan BUT painted it will look better.

Jay,
It's already running 3 or 4 good quality aftermarket fans. The problem is the 4" fmic & full size radiator (alu) is blocking the airflow. If you notice there's barely any opening in the front. Believe me this was the last thing we did to help cool down the temps.

SouthCaliVR4

It's not too obtrusive & once painted I don't think they'll look bad at all. Of course I'm from the punch louvers in everything era /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Soo... Did it help the temp issue or do you not know yet?

BrandonEchols

Am I the only one who is curious how the f@ck one expects to reasonably put down 700 to the front wheels?
Seems like it would be great at roasting tires, and that's about it.

donniekak

How effective was this? If it works well i'm willing to run something like this as a "summer hood". I have had some problems out here running a/c with my 3 1/2" fmic. 120* ambient temps cause tons of heat issues.

Quoting brandonechols:
Am I the only one who is curious how the f@ck one expects to reasonably put down 700 to the front wheels?
Seems like it would be great at roasting tires, and that's about it.

that's what i was thinking, if i was putting that much into a car that had an AWD version, I would be putting it into an AWD one, not FWD, but to each their own i suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif vents look good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mountaineerjeff

ud be surprised how much fun a front wheel drive car is on the interstate, which is alot of what they do down in the miami area. alot of interstate pulls and runs with supras from 70-80mph. an AWD will NEVER stay with the same motor in a FWD. they have much less drive train loss and are much lighter, and have way less things to break. there is something about just hanging on to a FWD as it shoots you down the interstate climbing towards 200 mph.

Last edited:

fuel

Yeah.. gotta love how FWD has chronic torque steer that changes lanes for you when on coming on boost.

Ever seen HIN? It can be done, doesn't mean its the best option, but its thoroughly possible. Weight transfer is actually counter productive, and traction is still a challenge, but those guys manage. I suppose from a rolling start its less of an issue.
For me? AWD FTW.
Oh as for the vents, looks good to me they don't really improve the look, but it doesn't detract, and they are functional. Wish I had some for my gvr4! Looks better than some of the ricey cf vented hoods.

Last edited by a moderator:

call me retarded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ... but i think they would look good painted or not. all the colors go together well. maybe because his in more shiny than mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

cheekychimp

Looks fine in my opinion. There are far worse choices for vents and these were designed to work in that location to dissipate heat not to direct flow down to a filter, intercooler etc Black on Red looks cool in my opinion because I like the contrast and it matches the black/red thing that's already going on with the car (but by all means colour match them to the hood if you want it to be less obvious).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned