The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.4 Project Begins

Turboman_456

As I am a recent convert to the DSM world I am trying to amass as much information as I can about these cars . One thing that I've noticed is that the parts are cheaper than they were for my WRX I picked up a 2.4L block this weekend out of a Eagle Summit at the local salvage yard for 94 bucks,that I will have built to give me around 400 or so reliable wheel horsepower. I have an acquaintance with the EVO RS packing a 2.4L block making stupid horsepower over 500 to the wheels on E85 I think I will stick to pump gas though E85 is not widely available I only know of a couple of stations that have it. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have. I'm always looking for information.4G64 Here I go again!

89Mirageman

That is a 7 bolt 4G64, does it have the mounting holes for the front engine mount on it?

mountaineerjeff

i thought the CSM vans were one of the only places to find a 6 bolt 4g64?

mitsuturbo

Quoting 89Mirageman:
That is a 7 bolt 4G64, it does not have the mounting holes for the front engine mount on it!

Fixed. He's not going to be happy when he figures out he wasted his money.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Sr71sss

Look for the hyundai G4CS block its a 2.4 6 bolt, I better have that than the old mitsu galant '85-89 g63b 2.4, I had both torn down and the hyundai block is way stronger in the webbing area than the casting flaw mitsu 2.4L

GLWB

89Mirageman

I have owned 3 of these wagons, two were the rare AWD manual ones. Only the 92 models have a true mitsu 6 bolt 4G64 in them and you can tell because they have the square 8v valve cover on them. The one pictured is a 16v found on the 93-96 models.

As far as I know none of the 7 bolt engines have the mounting bosses for a front engine mount because by that time mitsu had switched over to putting the mounts on the tranny case. It may still have the bosses for a rear mount though.

If this engine is going in anything besides a 2g dsm you're going to have to do some custom work rigging up a front engine mount.

mountaineerjeff

Quoting Sr71sss:
Look for the hyundai G4CS block its a 2.4 6 bolt, I better have that than the old mitsu galant '85-89 g63b 2.4, I had both torn down and the hyundai block is way stronger in the webbing area than the casting flaw mitsu 2.4L

GLWB

so the hyundai block is actually better? If so that is really good info to know.

so all 92s got them, whether they are awd,fwd,auto, or stick? I mean it doesnt make sense that the drivetrain would cause a difference in engine, but just figured Id make sure.

89Mirageman

The 1.8L 4G93 was also an option on the wagons as well so keep that in mind. But to answer your question, if its a 92 model and it has the 2.4 its a 6 bolt. FWD/AWD does not matter.

mitsuturbo

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
Quoting Sr71sss:

GLWB

so the hyundai block is actually better? If so that is really good info to know.

so all 92s got them, whether they are awd,fwd,auto, or stick? I mean it doesnt make sense that the drivetrain would cause a difference in engine, but just figured Id make sure.

A block is a block. Hyundai... mitsu.. it's all the same. The early 90's elantra had the g4cs. Don't even try pulling a 4g64 out of a truck.. they may be the same casting (idk) but the transmission bolt holes on top are too far apart. I've been wondering if one could tap the block in the appropriate places to accommodate a w5m33 transmission, though.

89Mirageman

^^^You mean the early 90's Sonata, not the Elantra. The early 90's elantras only came with the DOHC 1.6L or 1.8L.

Turboman_456

Okay as for the front motor mount I asked one of the techs at the local DSM shop, to stop by and take a look at this block and talk about possible fabrication of a mount. In the interim I will be looking for a G4CS block no luck so far, but I did talk to one salvage yard and they said if they had a block it would be $45.00 not bad.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts