The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bringing her back from the dead UPDATE New PIcs 11/15/10

jcgalntvr4-244

A few members are here for the weekend helping me bring the RHD back from the dead. here is our progress.

Will update with more pics tomorrow.
Thanks
JC

Last edited:

4Grim

thus why you needed a jdm harness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cool color and looks like it came with nice wheels.

vapid

Mmmmmmmm.....throwback Mountain Dew.

jcgalntvr4-244

24hours later and she is running.

BIG THANKS TO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Terry Posten
wowzer
Spyder
maroonmetallic
Hertz
blacksheep

And misterfixit for your late help from across the pond!

You guys all helped me a great deal with this restoration after the fire!
Thank you guys
If theres anything I can do for any of you just shoot me a PM!

Now off to paint the rest of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks!
JC

OHH .... Ryan do I get to join the members rides section now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Impressive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

If only everyone knew all the stress & headache that went into putting this thing back together so quickly. Nuff respect to you guys.

Terry Posten

Just got off the phone with JC. He fixed all the grounding issues and the car is idling better. And without doors, seats, carpet, hood, fenders, and trunk, the car is ripping up the road.

He still has an issue with the cooling (probably a stuck t-stat) and a fuel gauge issue (could be a broken wire in the trunk/tank).

The true test will be when the car paint is finished and the lights are all in. Hopefully the new chassis harness works all the up-front lights.

After 2 years of down-time, it is good to see "blue" up and running.

mountaineerjeff

youre my boy blue!!!!!!!!!!

2of9

damn! congrats! that's alotta work within a day or 2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:

OHH .... Ryan do I get to join the members rides section now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I've got four pages for you!

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting 4Grim:
thus why you needed a jdm harness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cool color and looks like it came with nice wheels.

REAL Racing Hart C4 in four lug. Baller Unicorn wheels.

misterfixit

Glad to see you can relax a bit now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif did you suss the gauge issues?

Rich

jcgalntvr4-244

nope no luck on the guage issues yet I unhooked the battery for over 12 hours and the fuel guage went back to its correct position but after about 10-15 min of the car running it went waaay past the full mark again... Could this be a sending unit issue? or do you guys think the actual cluster is messed up?

Im also having issues with the wipers they keep stopping in the up position. I didnt take the wipers off the car, My body shop did that, is there something that could be hooked up wrong like some of the moving parts ?

Thanks,
JC

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Yeah I have heard that separating the blades from the motors during removal can do that. You are supposed to remove them as a whole. I thought perhaps you can let them stop in the up position, then just remove the blades and put them back on in the correct position and see if that solved it, but my friend Toybreaker says no to that!!! So best not try that, he knows a thing or two and figures the wipers could swing down and fawk things right up. He says check the linkage isn't 180 out of sync.

Just out of interest, couldn't we simply remove the blades and see where the motors stopped on their own. Is the signal the unit gets to 'park' the blades dependent on motor or blade position?

Edit: Thinking about it more, I doubt the blades are in the wrong position on the motor. I have had this situation before and the wipers either interfered with each other (out of sync) or were just starting too high and swinging too far.

P.S. Shout if you need a gauge cluster!

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ I only know this because I've done it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

...it ain't pretty, especially on a freshly painted car ...

I'd start by checking the orientation of the linkage where the motor attaches to the linkage under the cowl.

Pull the wipers off, make a witness mark on the binding posts, actuate the motor, and watch how it works.

If it stops in the wrong position, pull the linkage, cycle the unit, and then reattatch the linkage in the parked position

Verify that the witness marks line up correctly, then install the wipers, say a prayer, and turn them on.

Hopefully, it all works as intended.

If it doesn't, blame Aa'roon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mitsuturbo

When i got my montero sport, the wipers stopped working. Turned out to be a ground. This is a VERY Common occurrence on some mitsus after paint/body work. Other issues can happen too as a result of poor grounding. Make sure all the surfaces that should be grounding behind paint, are doing so.

misterfixit

+1 The wiper motor grounds into the firewall through a mounting bolt.

Rich

toybreaker

iconoclast
It's been awhile since I worked on anything in that area, but I remember a short jumper wire that went from the motor/gearbox assembly to one of the mounting bolts.

Generally, if that ground is left off, the motor won't work at all and/or the wipers will stop in random positions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bmxr152

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
nope no luck on the guage issues yet I unhooked the battery for over 12 hours and the fuel guage went back to its correct position but after about 10-15 min of the car running it went waaay past the full mark again... Could this be a sending unit issue? or do you guys think the actual cluster is messed up?

Im also having issues with the wipers they keep stopping in the up position. I didnt take the wipers off the car, My body shop did that, is there something that could be hooked up wrong like some of the moving parts ?

Thanks,
JC

My car did the same thing with the gauges the other day, i took the cluster out and checked and cleaned connections, reset battery and it went back to normal. The coolant gauge as well jumped up just like the fuel gauge. Does anyone know what causes this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts