The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon Fiber Hood

morganc

What is a good company to get a OEM carbon fiber hood for my vr4? I don't want to take the chance buying one from a company that doesn't make them properly. Thanks!

morganc

Sorry I didn't see a good company right off from reading the other thread. The one I found was at Carbontrix.com for $689. Just wondering if that was the best place.

Diego

^agree... o just buy the one TylerAdamson has... and buy the hood a greyhound ticket... safer transport.

Diego

Quoting TylerAdamson:
I'm with Diego on this one. You can see the hood I've got for sale here.

if i cant buy it someone has to..

morganc

Thanks for the input. My car got backed into the other night by a drunk driver so I need a new hood anyway and would def. prefer a carbon fiber one since the guys insurance gave me quite a bit of money to get a new hood, etc.

Diego

i would look into if the core support got bent first, then buy a hood. so as to not F yourself when you whop out good fresh dough and it doesnt properly line up... another problem with buying then fitting over fitting then buying...

morganc

Yea it's going to one of the best body shops in our area. It's going to be super nice when it gets finished.

raptorWagon

Quoting Diego:
oh noes :facepalm:

double-facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gtluke

Nobody makes a carbon fiber hood for our cars. They all make fiberglass hoods with a layer of CF on the top for riceness.

mitsuturbo

Quoting gtluke:
Nobody makes a carbon fiber hood for our cars. They all make fiberglass hoods with a layer of CF on the top for riceness.

I'd rather just buy a FG hood w/o the CF so it would (assumedly) be cheaper. If i were to obtain a CF hood, i'd just paint it anyhow. The whole reason for CF is "supposed" to be weight reduction. You sure as f*** don't see "unpainted" cf bodied ferraris running around. WHY? Because it's rice and it's pug fugly.

beaner

Nothing is worse than mismatched body panels. Leaving a CF hood unpainted is like leaving the main wall in your living unpainted to show everyone what kind of drywall you used. No one gives a sh*t or is impressed. To 9999/10000 people on the road it will look like 20 year old mitsu with unpainted panels. Come to Detroit with that, you will fit right in between that and your loud exhaust. I thought our cars were about looking mostly stock and being fast anyways. For the price of that hood you can just get a stock one from the junkyard and upgrade your turbo.

To each their own though, do what you want.

mitsuturbo

There -is- something to be said, however... about going all out and getting "CF" fenders, hood, decklid, spoiler, and grille. I do believe that at one time there were some fenders in the making. However, the cost offset the benefit by a seemingly wide margin. It's just not worth it to most of us.

edit: i'd still have to paint it all as i do not wish for my car to look like many miniature chessboards patchworked together

Last edited:

ApexHunter

Quoting gtluke:

Yup.

That said, i'm considering buying one right now, but simply for weight reduction. If i could buy a FG one for less, i would. As far as painting it goes, i'm not sure what looks worse- unpainted CF riceness or rattle can gloss black as these would be my two options for the time being. I'm not interested in spending much on cosmetics with the car however i don't want it to look like a complete POS. If and when i do paint the car it's gonna be a self prepped cheap respray either by myself or 1Day/Earl Scheib/Maaco.

mitsuturbo

You'd be better off skinning the hood so there's nothing but half a skeleton left underneath. Don't waste your money.

There's a JMF race manifold FS on the link forums right now for 350. It would help to propel you faster than any ricer hood weight reduction could. Go buy it. (i would have bought it already, if i wasn't up to my bicep in machine work)

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting gtluke:

I'd rather just buy a FG hood w/o the CF so it would (assumedly) be cheaper. If i were to obtain a CF hood, i'd just paint it anyhow. The whole reason for CF is "supposed" to be weight reduction. You sure as f*** don't see "unpainted" cf bodied ferraris running around. WHY? Because it's rice and it's pug fugly.

Yet we see carbon fiber Pagani Zondas, Konigseggs, Veyrons and a few other extreme exotics and many people love the way it looks. Its a matter of personal prefrence.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned