The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2010 4G63 Motor Build

Chim55117

Hey guys, I just thought I'd post this thread keep it updated on my work. I found a bare block from a friend, and I have a hot tanked/machined head that never sold, so I decided to build a motor for the heck of it so I can learn something new. It's going to be a first, measuring everything, installing parts, and installing the engine. I have no shell for this motor to go into yet. All the parts I've gotten so far are free, and I plan to build a near stock, 2G piston, 1G rod motor for under $600. Of course I don't expect it to be done anything soon, but it sure is a cool thing to look at right now. VC and various parts were powdercoated at a shop I help out at, Primo Performance.

Yep, needless to say I'm pretty excited for being 17. So far everything looks nice. I need a crank, 1G rods, and 2G pistons ETC. If anyone on here has extra parts, and want to donate or offer me parts pretty cheap, I can buy them off you.

Learning to build a motor completely from scratch is a first for me, and I'm excited!

40916_10150252215470607_685700606_14172242_1343090_n.jpg

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

Chim55117

First technical question - The block has never been bored and is still stock bore. The bores have no real scratches or glazing. Should I simply rehone it with a brush, or should I overbore to 0.02 over and start from there?

cheekychimp

Steven,

Engine looks great so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Don't worry about not having a shell. Dan said you might be coming back to Hong Kong again next year. Just bring it with you and we can throw it in my other Galant whilst you are here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Dan D

Two things you need to measure to decide if you have to bore it: Out of round & Taper

You'll need a good dial bore gauge to check them properly.

Quoting Chim55117:
First technical question - The block has never been bored and is still stock bore. The bores have no real scratches or glazing. Should I simply rehone it with a brush, or should I overbore to 0.02 over and start from there?

Best thing to do is just have it measured. Then go from there. You can't really tell anything just by looking at it. Find "a machine shop near you!" (In my best tv announcer's voice)

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting Dan D:
Two things you need to measure to decide if you have to bore it: Out of round & Taper

You'll need a good dial bore gauge to check them properly.

Oh you beat me!

Chim55117

Thanks Paul, I'll keep that in mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, I'll have to bring it to a shop sometime to have the tolerances checked.

Adorsey

Pretty cool man, have some fun with it!

sixsixtwo

Actually, when this build is completed, it will promptly be swapped into my VR4, he just doesn't know it yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts