The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

555/1000

mitsuturbo

Picked up this beautiful Washington Native (Port of Entry: Tacoma) Kensington Grey specimen for a GREAT price today. It's got a misfire, could be a boost leak, doesn't seem like a HG, isn't the ECU (tried 2 others). Only blows out clouds of (black) smoke if you keep your foot in it. Seemed like a telltale sign of an ecu going south.. but I'll nail that down sometime this week and have it running right! It came with 3" turbo back, an E316g, 255lph, original glovebox folder, original window sticker and VR4RS fmic. (14b is in the trunk)

According to the folder full of records i got, it's been well pampered, spent some time in Klamath Falls, Salem, and a short stint in Spokane. The last 10 years it's been here, around Seattle. NO RUST! It's got VERY few dings/scratches (barely any noticeable) sunroof, cruise works, BOTH foglights are fully intact (No rock chips!) 212k miles, tranny shifts great, everything feels very solid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's dark out now, so photos come tomorrow after i get off work and snap some.

Last edited:

Nice grats.. You said it had a 255 by chance do you have a fuel pressure regulator? that could be a problem with the black smoke.

Get some pics up!

Jesse

DR1665

Kensington Grey = KG = Kickass Galant.

Cheers mate. Sounds proper. Nice find. Were it not what sounds like a stellar specimen, I'd say paint it blue and put yellow stripes on the side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

files.php

mitsuturbo

nah, the 255 is actually still in a box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's had a bit of work done last year. New rings, new valves, timing belt, head gasket... i'm going to do a boost leak test on it after work today.
Prior owner stated that it was running great up until end of june when this current issue started.

2of9

looks great man. not bad for a Washington vehicle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Most PNW rigs are rust free since we don't use salt on the winter roads. Seattle is far enough from the actual coast (ocean) that rust issues aren't that big of a problem.

mitsuturbo

Compression and Leakdown tests yielded some unwanted results. Cyl 4 has 90# compression and it seems it's all going out the exhaust valves. Cyl 3 is at 130, and everything seems to be sealed up pretty well. Cyl 1 and 2 are letting a little bit past the rings and exhaust valves with compression of 115-120.

It seems the engine is tired. I guess i'll be refreshing this one. I think i'm going to try just tossing a good head on it and see how it goes. Being that it's only 2-3 hours worth of work, i'm not really out much time/money/effort if the bottom end is too far gone. This is a damn shame, especially considering the prior owner paid some shop over 2600 bucks to do what must have been a half assed valve job and put in new rings. All this just one year ago.

I'm also considering putting my current engine-build-already-in-progress into this vehicle. I've got an engine off at the machine shop now being reworked. Block is being cleaned, bored to 3.386", honed, decked and align honed. I've got a new set of Eagle rods and Mahle 9:1 pistons to put in when i get that back. Crank's been polished. Head is getting resurfaced, seats cut, new bronze SI valve guides installed, Stainless 1pc undercut valves, new 3g lifters, supertech duals/ti retainers, and brand new kelford 272's. Since this car already has a 3" turbo back, it'd be well suited for my GT3076r, link v3, 1000cc injectors, new 255lph pump, new WBo2, new ACT flywheel and 2600, and some other goodies (like the 4 bolt rear) off of 1411/2000.

I'm thinking I may as well put the better parts into the better car. I just don't want to neglect 1411 just because i got a new puppy (so to speak).

toybreaker

iconoclast
If the engine has been sitting for a long time, it might be worth your while to give it a chance.

Valves can have carbon on them, and if the engine was just sitting with that cylinders exhaust valves open, the carbon can absorb water and start to flake off. If any of that get's caught between the valve and seat, it'll cause the valve to not seal well, giving every indication the engine needs work.

I'd try some seafoam/combustion chamber cleaner, and then drive it for a day or two and repeat your compression and leakdown checks.

If it doesn't improve, then you get to tearing into it knowing you gave it a chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mitsuturbo

It's not been sitting much, actually. Prior owner had driven it daily, and was driving it back from Wenatchee when it started cutting out under boost. I'm guessing there's a burnt valve. This is the problem it had a year ago when it got all this work. Either the work was shoddy, or the valve burnt due to some other problem.. such as a fuel delivery problem.
As i typed the last response in this thread, i pretty much convinced myself that this car should be the one i put the goodies into.
I've got to start with something decent if i want to eventually end up with something remotely close to as nice as 1051. (isn't mark's car the one we should all strive to have ours look like?)
1411 is a decent car and all, but it's got more dings, faded BG paint, and general wear (not to mention a minor bit of rust.. typical inside bottom of doors). Maybe someday i'll get a summit white one, like i want, but for now it looks like this KG car is getting the goodies.

1411 can have a near stock engine put back in it, along with the evo3 turbo out of this car.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ I see ...

Good luck with your build

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Look what i found whilst tearing the engine down today.
It's a good thing it wasn't running right from other causes, because some fucktard idiot did a piss poor turbo install.
I think we all know how this COULD have ended up....
Inhaled1.jpg

Inhaled2.jpg

Inhaled3.jpg

Inhaled4.jpg

Inhaled5.jpg

Inhaled6.jpg

Inhaled7.jpg

Inhaled8.jpg

Inhaled9.jpg

Inhaled10.jpg

Inhaled11.jpg

mitsuturbo

Yeah, if you're running a 14b. E316g fits the stock intake pipe w/o this spacer.
It would have really sucked to pull this apart and find the evo3 to be shot because some assmonkey screwed up the install.

BTW. Working on this car has reminded me just how much i hate working on STOCK 4g63t cars. Ugh. So much worthless sh*t everywhere!!!

curtis

Man inspect the wheel and clean out the compressor housing and the IC pipes as well as the hot side of the IC. Those little pieces of rubber moving around can grenade a compressor wheel. I used a piece of those sh*t spectra hoses from Auto zone once as a spacer on a Garrett and it dried out and cooked and a piece got sucked in to the turbo and went boom.

curtis

Oh one more thing if you don't want to remove the IC. Remove the throttle body end and pour solvent/parts cleaner down the pipes then put the water hose in if for a while then dry it out with a leaf blower. I've done this on old Volvos and it works great. They have a problem with having 3 quarts of oil at the bottom of the IC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

mitsuturbo

the head and manifolds are out and never to return to this vehicle.. they're to be cleaned up, reconditioned, and put in 1411.

This car is getting a fully built engine (FULLY "built"), an engine bay diet, and BB GT3076r to start with. No original plumbing will be present. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Therefore no risk of any foreign matter seeing the new engine.

After pulling the head and the only 2 valves i removed were bent.. i slated this engine as a core only. The car is worth what i paid, and it'll be worth a whole lot more once i get it on the road again. Not only did i make an investment of sorts, I acquired a new baby. It may not be white, like i wanted, but it sure as hell will do!

The new engine, 4 bolt rear, clutch and other go fast parts from 1411 will work out nicely with this chassis.

1411 will still be taken care of, as it's to be my DD with the evo3 16g and basic mods. I'm not about to let a decent VR4 get parted or hit the junkyard.

^^^^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Nice. I'll be watching this. I love it when a plan comes together.

mitsuturbo

So far i've got the following NEW parts that will be going into it (that i can think of).
Kelford 272s, 3g Lifters, SI valves and guides, Mahle 9:1 +.040" pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Bearings, Cometic MLS HG, ACT flywheel + 2600# PP + 6 puck unsprung, 1g short shifter. I've been buying new parts weekly lately. I'll be buying a new FMIC setup for this before it runs, and hopefully shortly afterward, a SMIM.

Of course i've got some slightly used parts that are coming over from 1411. This will include Supertech Dual valvesprings + Ti retainers, MSD 1000cc injectors, Stillen AFPR, DSMLink V3, 3" GM Maf, GT3076r turbo, Hafe cast exh mani, Tial 38mm WG, Blitz SBC-iD + Power Meter-iD + DC-II Turbo Timer, 4 bolt rear, KYB AGX's, Eibach lowering springs, brembo/drilled slotted rotors, 93 headlights, and 89 underdash.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts