The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3" Ebay downpipe - doesn't fit

Dan D

I've had one of these 2g awd downpipes sitting around for a while to replace my old rusted one. I finally got off my butt and tried to fit it up to my mofugas/certified exhaust. It in no way, shape, or form fits. The neck and flange fits the o2 fine, it tucks nicely between the transfer case and oil pan and then it goes all wrong:

The pipe hits the subframe near the steering rack. The hanger lines up, but the pipe takes a bend down toward the ground at the hanger. From the hanger back, the pipe is bent down 10deg an ends up with the flange hanging 6-8" lower than it should be.

What gives? I know people have used these with good success. Did I get a dud or am I missing something? It seems like they bent it backward. Too bad I've had it for 6 months. I'm sure I can't try and return it anymore.

TSimage

2G exhaust don't work.. The exhaust exits on the opposite side. That's a no brainer..

Boostdtalon

The downpipes are similar. The 2G's are longer, after the dp is where it goes to the other side. Id see if it was possible to return for refund or swap for a different one.

524of1000

Sounds like that downpipe is effed. I am currently running a 2g AWD downpipe and a 1g AWD catback with a test pipe and it fits great.

MMCVR4

I now wonder about this, because I have a 1G AWD A'PEXi N1 front pipe & exhaust, but had to lengthen the exhaust by a foot, to fit the VR-4. If I got the 2G AWD front pipe instead, I probably did not have to modify the exhaust? So how much longer is the 2G AWD front pipe than the 1G AWD front pipe?

Last edited:

524of1000

with the 2g AWD dp and the 1g Catback you WILL need an extension/test pipe to make it fit.

Dan D

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Just to stay on track here:
I'm not trying to use a 2G exhaust
I don't have a 1G exhaust

I'm replacing a testpipe and old mofugas downpipe with the Ebay piece. For those who havent been around over a decade, it is well documented that a 2g AWD DP is the best option on a galant when doing this. This one just doesn't seem to fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The flange orientation is correct as well as the length. The centerline is even on (so I know it isn't FWD). Has anyone who used of these found they needed to bend, dent, or otherwise tweak them to work?

Muskrat

Quoting tsiboy:
maybe they accidentally sent you a fwd dp??

+1 confirm what you actually got.

Contact the seller and see what he will do for you.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting TSimage:
2G exhaust don't work.. The exhaust exits on the opposite side. That's a no brainer..

you = moron.

Sounds like it was either FWD on accident or faulty. My guess is fwd since they use a jig. I used one of these on my blue galant. Fit perfect.

TSimage

I have a 2G DP that didn't work either and was given as a 2GAWD DP. Don't get your panties in a twist small fry. Its nice to see that some of them work. Either way I made it easy and just went ahead used my buschur down pipe from the Talon when I went to the 4" exhaust.

deez

Or do the smart thing and find a local muffler shop and have them make you one. It fits right and you keep your money local rather than giving it to some jerkoff who knows where. Now that's a no brainer.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting deez:
Or do the smart thing and find a local muffler shop and have them make you one. It fits right and you keep your money local rather than giving it to some jerkoff who knows where. Now that's a no brainer.

You're not going to a full stainless downpipe that fits perfect for anywhere near as cheap as the megan downpipe.

and as for fitment issues, ive never seen the megan downpipe have a problem with fitment, as long as it's an AWD downpipe.

deez

No Garfield, you're not a jerkoff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess my point is rather than buying from some random internet seller, who you don't know and they really don't give a damn about you or what they are selling, buy from someone you know preferably local. Supporting your local economy is a good thing, and most people don't think about that. And most of the time you will get as good as if not better service, product, and you establish relationships that can be beneficial in the long run.
I work/manage a bicycle shop, and we always see people buying parts online, then have issues with installation and what not. Sure they got a great deal, but if they bought it from me, well, its may have cost more, but I would have thrown in installation for free. And in the future I would have bent over backwards to help them because they chose me over internet. On the flip side, they choose the internet over me and my business, I raise my labor rates on them. My way of showing my appreciation for them choosing the internet.

PJGross

I guess pics would help. My Megan 2G is great, I just haven't finished it up in several years w/ the flanges, but the fitment is fine. Somewhere I snapped shots of what I received as a Megan 2G AWD pipe, you might be able to compare them.

I'll search for it.

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts