The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What size tires should I get?

alansupra94

I got my hands on some Racing Hart C4 wheels. What size tires should I be getting for those 18x7.5?

IMG_0030copy.jpg

Going to paint them black and strip the lip for a polished look.

Thanks,
Alan

belize1334

For a 7.5" wheel 215 is your MINIMUM and I'd think that 225 or even 235 would be better for tucking the lip in a little. I hate when the wheel is wider than the tire...looks retarded.

Things to keep in mind are the rolling diameter, whether it's gonna tuck under the fender, and whether it's gonna rub on the splash shields.

At 225 your tires are wider than the wheels so the wheel width becomes irrelevant. All that matters at that point is the tire size and the wheel offset which determines the location of the center of the tire relative to the hub. Figure out the offset of the wheel before you proceed.

From personal experience I can say that a 225 tire with 40 offset tucks nicely under the fender (though not by much) but that it also rubs (just barely) on the inboard splash shield. I also get rubbing on the forward splash shield but that's because of my tein caster bushings which place the wheel about 1/2" forward in the well. 235 and 245 add just a little under a half an inch each to the total width of the wheel. You could probably run a 235 tire at 40 offset but at 245 I'd think you'd need more like 45 offset to keep it under the fender so you'll want to check that.

To keep it at under 25" rolling diameter (but over 24.2" which is stock) your options are 225/35/18 (24.2"), 235/35/18 (24.5"), 245/35/18 (24.75"), and 225/40/18 (25.08"). For comparison my setup that I was commenting on is 225/50/16 (24.9") so neither of your 0.35 series options is likely to rub the front splash shield the way mine does. Both of them will likely rub a bit on the inboard splash shield if you turn hard...but who cares?

Moral is... I recommend either the 225/40/18 which will give you little to no inboard/outboard clearance issues but may rub the front splash-shield, or 235/35/18 which will be a little smaller, a little wider, and probably still give you no rubbing issues. But make sure you know the offset of those wheels.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Holy sh*t.

That was possibly the best post I have ever seen. You answered my initial question so well, it even answered questions that I didn't post and were thinking of posting after getting a tire size.

I

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned