The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ATTENTION: Evo Owners....

charmcity

Alright Dispite the fact that I have owned 357/1k for 3 1/2 years I have never driven the car so I have no referance point. last night I drove my buddys evo for the day and I have to say it was the most fun ive had on 4 wheels...EVER. Anyways I need to know is the GVR4 is as much fun or better. What are the difference and if you have owned both which do you prefer. Damnit I think Ive jacked my life up....

4Grim

I don't own a Evo..but I feel I can give you a fair opinion since I used to work at my friends shop that mostly catered to Evo owners and have several friends with Evos and have driven quite a few of them.

You can't really compare the GVR4 to a Evo...15+ years seperate the 2 in technology and engineering. The Evo is hands down a very fun car to drive...predictable and responds very well in almost every aspect. The GVR4 just can't really compare mostly in the handling area. Straight line drag style racing...yes, you can compare both, but if you are into cornering, this is where the generation gap of technology and engineering shows ...the Evo will own the GVR4. Maybe a circuit/AutoX well prepared GVR4 can compared to a Evo..but stock for stock or stockish for stockish comparison, Evo is superior.

If you take the GVR4 for what it is..it is a fun car to drive, its still better than most cars out there in handling and power potential, you just have to take it for what its capable of.

Last edited:

broxma

I do own an Evo so I can give you an objective opinion.

For reference my Evo lays down about 378 WHP at 24 PSI. I have about 2K in mostly bolt on parts, HKS cams, Exhaust, QTP cutout, 1050's, Perrin intake, Custom ignition, Evo 9 Turbo, DNR Tube manifold. I bought every part used. It runs 11.86 in the quarter.

I also own 379, which you can see in my build log which is quite extensive.

Here is the issue. Which is more fun to drive? The Evo Hands down. It is a better handling car, makes amazing power off throttle, is 4g63 refinement at it's factory best. The steering response on the Evo is probably the greatest single part about the car. It is like driving a 3000 pound go cart. The worst thing, the steering radius sucks. It's worse than an F-150. It makes tight fast turns, but can't turn into many parking spaces. I love the car, the seats, the shifter feels great, everything about the car is phenomenal save the spartan interior which I do not think matter is what is essentially a race car detuned for the street. My evo has 111K on the clock, has perfect compression, runs like a top, has never given me on ounce of issue or problem. It is the car I always wanted since the early 90's and when I could, I bought one.

Which car do I want to drive. The Galant. Why? This is where I cannot be objective because I will be unable to make you understand or experience the same thing. When I get in my GVR4, I am happy. It has no AC. I'm elated. The seat is still ripped, Wonderful. It reeks like gas inside. Breath it in buddy. I would wager if there was a happiness test, and the test involved me driving my noisy, smelly, seat ripped up, no AC having GVR4 and random citizen with a new Vette, I win every single time. The satisfaction and enjoyment I get from knowing how long and hard it was to get my car in the shape it is in, the time, the money, the research, there has thus far been no greater experience in my automotive career which is now well into it's second decade. I love my Evo, I am sure that Vette owners love their Vette's, but dropping 50K to buy happiness and creating happiness out of what should have been at the junkyard do not compare.

Not to prove or provide premise for this point, but my wife has a car. A Beetle Turbo S. It's fine, she likes it. We don't need 4 cars.
I have the choice of driving the Evo, or the GVR4.
11 second, AC having, tail getting, hey nice car man Evo, or the rust spot having, no AC, smells like gas, dented hood, clear coat peeling 4 door grocery getting, hey is that a Camry, GVR4? She's driving the Evo. I drive my GVR4. The GVR4 is mine. The Beetle is just a car.

You cannot answer your question without some form of subjectivity.

/brox

14bCrazy

Nice way to explain the difference. I have also seen a big difference in the type of people that own Evo's. Most don't even know what our car is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

thecman02

Here's a story for you. I was a sophmore in highschool in 2003. My rich friend had his choice of many cars and I told him to get the new Evo's just being released in the states. This car was one of the best handling, quick cars you could get at that time. No STI's and anything similiar in performance cost 2x as much. I got to drive that car out of the show room and for many miles while teaching my friend how to drive stick. I was soo spoiled and had so much fun with that car. It handled amazing.

Fast forward and I now have a pretty trick Galant VR4 and a friend of mine has an EVO. The evo has a decent amount of bolt on parts and what not but I'm not nearly as impressed as I used to be. I love/like my car more. The handling of my car is pretty much equal to my friends car on the streets because you can't go fast enough on public roads to really find a limit anyways.

Sure the steering is a tad bit quicker, but on any given day it isn't that big of a deal. The Galant can be pretty much the same amount of fun if you take the time to get the car where it should be.

solidviper89

Quoting broxma:

Which car do I want to drive. The Galant. Why? This is where I cannot be objective because I will be unable to make you understand or experience the same thing. When I get in my GVR4, I am happy. It has no AC. I'm elated. The seat is still ripped, Wonderful. It reeks like gas inside. Breath it in buddy. I would wager if there was a happiness test, and the test involved me driving my noisy, smelly, seat ripped up, no AC having GVR4 and random citizen with a new Vette, I win every single time. The satisfaction and enjoyment I get from knowing how long and hard it was to get my car in the shape it is in, the time, the money, the research, there has thus far been no greater experience in my automotive career which is now well into it's second decade. I love my Evo, I am sure that Vette owners love their Vette's, but dropping 50K to buy happiness and creating happiness out of what should have been at the junkyard do not compare.

/brox

That is signature material right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

codeofdastreets

I like evo"s a lot I been in a few, but my opinion is ull get more respect nd turn more heads in a fast vr4..yes the evo out performs the gvr4 on conering like others have said, but you defenity leave ppl thinking wut the gvr4 is when you fly pass them lol.. Great feeling having a fast vr4.

1qkfwd

Ive driven both and tuned both. I had my choice last november to get the evo or by the gvr4. I chose the gvr4. I couldnt have been any happier driving home a car that was explained above, the seats, cracked windshield, little bend in the hood, that whole ive been sitting for years look. Why the GVR4? Its a whole different breed. It was cheaper and with the aftermarket support, dollar for dollar the gvr4 spanks the evo for straight line racing. Plus not every punk kid has a GVR4 that there parents bought them.

evo8ya

I just sold my evo. I could drive the evo for a couple days maybe a week before it would get kinda boring. I like driving my galant better, even though the evo was faster and newer... there's just something about the galant that I love. I mean, out of the 2 cars the evo was the one to go. You've seen my evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Umm not so much^^ You can get a stock turbo evo deep in the 11's with a tune exhaust and intake so if you go with an e-bay 3in tbe cheap intake and tune it your self you could do it for less than 500.00 so there is no way you can do that with the gvr4 or a dsm.

Evo is leaps and bounds better than the gvr4 but it is also over a decade and a half new as well.

Galant vr4 is a classic type of car now with some super old school technology but it has it's place in the history books and not to many clean examples left anymore.

charmcity

Well your are all correct and I love the insight. Evo8ya I loved your evo and I know you have put alot of time into the vr4.
I am not going to get an evo, the reason I got the vr4 was the exclusivity/ unknown'nist ( yeah I know not a word) but I enjoyed that evo and I am looking forward to enjoying my vr4 if an when I finish the thing( soooooon). thanks again guy I again am greatful for the honesty and support.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't own an Evo, but have driven them and also came close to buying two or three times. If I had one, it would be my daily. It would be great. I would love it, but...

I think I would still keep the VR4. There is something about these cars (what they were maybe more than what they are. Perhaps what they represent) that gets in your blood and brain. You've seen it time and time again. Former owners with sellers regret, returning to the fold. Others buying 2, 3 at a time, or 9 or more of them consecutively.

Maybe I am just loyal too, but I was taught to respect my elders. I love classic cars. Yeah, modern cars are outstanding, and I would give them up, but I love watching gvr4s in action, be it old rally footage or people's videos posted of them launching on some poor sucker.

I haven't driven either of mine in over a year. It's starting to hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

bobdole

I would say Evo hands down faster and better in the corners but the GVR4 has a feeling to it that the Evo doesn't. Just makes me smile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TurboTrader

I love my Galant, and always got more looks, waved down in traffic, thumbs up, etc., than I ever would with an Evo. To me Evo's are dime a dozen, in that you see them everywhere, at least I do in my neck of the woods, and almost always the same mods done. They are almost like the SRT-4's of the DSM world, IMO. Not to bash Evo owners, afterall, what works, works. I do have a deep respect for the truly unique built Evo's.

I have test-driven an Evo 8, and I did love it, absolutely. I also test drove a 2003 WRX STI, and the Evo won hands down. I would own an Evo any day, if the insurance wouldn't be such a bear, and I hate car payments, but alot can be said of a good solid daily driver, and I would own one just to keep it stock for 90-100k miles, at which point I would begin modding just as I would any DSM/VR4. They are absolutely fun to drive, even in comparison to 145 that had pretty good handling characteristics through suspension mods. It's all through development over the years and technology. As a DD, I would change nothing in the Evo, they handle incredibly well, and have more than enough power for the street.

But needless to say, I am somewhat old-school (and feeling old at 25), and love the VR-4 for what it is. Unrefined, raw, noisy, and all around, demands attention while driving, and that is what I absolutely love in a vehicle. It may be the ADD in me, but I get way more enjoyment out of a car that constantly demands my attention than a car that seemingly drives itself unless I get on it hard, which is my initial impression of the Evo 8 anyway. And that right there should sum it up well.

Olson

Quote:
Unrefined, raw, noisy, and all around, demands attention while driving, and that is what I absolutely love in a vehicle.

That right there is the big thing for me.
My buddy has a basic bolt on tuned 03 evo 8. like someonel else said its a 3k lbs go kart, and again it not a 19 year old car either, The galant was the development for the evo's.
but again its the raw nature of the beast, i'm not held back on doing diffrent things that might destroy a new car or be to expensive to fix.
Plus when you on the road course and you pass evo's and sti's in teh vr4 its priceless.
nothing a little time love and money cant fix/improve on an older car

cheekychimp

I think you would be hard pushed to compete with some of the superior technology that comes standard on some of the modern EVOs. But in all honesty I don't think that many people have really tried. I don't dispute the fact that it probably isn't cost effective to do so, especially when you can pick up a used EVO for around $15,000 or less. BUT at the same time, I think a lot of people are basing the disparity between the EVO and a VR4 on their experience driving a car with Bilsteins and an Active Centre Differential against their 20 year old daily driver on GR2s and AGXs with nothing but open diffs.

I am not suggesting that you can ever bridge the gap completely but I think some of you might be surprised how well a VR4 handles with some really good suspension, a full compliment of 'real' differentials and some adjustable camber plates/control arms etc

Last edited:

Nate

You can definitely make a Galant handle, stop, and accelerate like an Evo. The difference is that the Evo, stock, does a lot better, as you'd expect from another 12 years of development time.

I have both, and love the Evo, but mine is almost stock. It runs great that way, and it's nice and quiet and doesn't get noticed by the cops.

I barely drive either of them, since I have a work van, but the Galant is still fun, as is the Evo. They're just different.

donniekak

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Umm not so much^^ You can get a stock turbo evo deep in the 11's with a tune exhaust and intake so if you go with an e-bay 3in tbe cheap intake and tune it your self you could do it for less than 500.00 so there is no way you can do that with the gvr4 or a dsm.

Evo is leaps and bounds better than the gvr4 but it is also over a decade and a half new as well.

Galant vr4 is a classic type of car now with some super old school technology but it has it's place in the history books and not to many clean examples left anymore.

I can get a dsm into the 11's for around $3,000, including buying the car.

dsmless

I have a very good friend that tunes builds evos all 400+ hp cars that
handle like a raped go kart, and also builds dsms, I have driven almost
all his built cars helping tune and wrench, the evo is the most sofisticaded
balls fast car that takes turns and mods like a coke addict doing a fat
line the evos show and go but the major drawback that most owners
have is the price and ontop the insurance is high and any part or to say
any high end part is not cheap and most people won't do there own
work so labor is high so you gotta have cash to make one go fast te last
10 sec E85 feed evo was 17000 fully built not including the price of the car
and at that point it just screams fast e eryone sees you coming the cops
look for you/follow you everyone wants to race so your like tiger woods
walking threw a cathouse eveyone wants some,
Now a vr4 is old sckool everyhting on it is old but it never gets the attencion
a evo gets no big wing no nostrils onthe hood you fly under the radar
with thecops and the fun factor when you whip someone in a muscle
car or a new sports car wtih a hottie trying to be impressed is just something
that can't be beat, the insurance is low that cost of maintance is low
since you or a buddy or a dsmer can come over and wrench not affraid
to mess it up, no car payment and with 17000 you can build a drag
car and a DD,
So for me it's the vr4 it's a true sleeper has comforts and is puts smiles
on your face sure my galant will never par up with theevos around town
but everytime I pull into the local cruise spot all the evoowners surround
my car amaised to see a actual vr4 and most like it more than thereevo

Nartanian

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts