The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon fiber front lip

Status
Not open for further replies.

So my buddy had some carbon fiber front lip spoilers made up
for his SER crew and asked me about doing the same for the
galantvr4 I just started laughing and he was like what? So
I spent the better part of an hour explaining the problems
with group buys and carbon fiber here.Lips were really nice
but no cigar I told him.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Not the best picture didnt have my digital camera with me this is on a ser front bumper

Last edited by a moderator:

Its a really nice piece the guy that does them does work
for quite a few race teams in different racing sanctioning
bodies.If someone has a mold or an actual lip that would eliminate
me having to send him a bumper and the cost of making a mold which
is the most expensive part he can replicate any piece in carbon fiber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Had someone contact me on here about the carbon fiber front lips but erased his message by accident. Anyways I spoke my friend that did the group buy for the Nissan Sentra Ser guys(pics below)and what he told was that the mold is the most expensive part of the deal(1k).If someone has one of the boostx front lips that they can part with for a while I can have him replicate it in carbon fiber making the pieces less expensive. I am aware of the past issues with carbon fiber hood group buys etc so please don't bring that up. Its hard enough getting anyone to make stuff for our cars already.If you are worried about me not returning your parts don't, I will gladly have you put a hold on my credit card via paypal or whatever makes you comfortable. I would just love to see a nice carbon fiber lip on these cars.Unless I get at least 10 people interested its not worth it, it would be too expensive for a super low volume run so if you are please repost with your name.
Thanks..
Dunstan

Im really interested in this lip. Im the one who pm'd you about this too.

Ok then we need to just find someone who's willing to volunteer their front lip for a while....

Brunoboy

What's the ideal price? If it's around 250$ ish shipped or less Ill gather money and be in.

Nartanian

I'm interested depending on the price too. I have the stock USDM bumper though.

Brunoboy

btw, in the sense that you use Boostx's lip to make them, are these as well going to be two pieces?

I'm not a big fan of the boostx lip, no offense to the guy, thanks to him for getting it done but from a side shot it looks weird IMO. If you want this to be a big hit, replicate the lip thats on the red car in this thread:

click

Here:

vr4thailand07.jpg

That lip is perfection and to have it in carbon fiber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Quoting 3of1000:
I'm not a big fan of the boostx lip, no offense to the guy, thanks to him for getting it done but from a side shot it looks weird IMO. If you want this to be a big hit, replicate the lip thats on the red car in this thread:

click

Here:

vr4thailand07.jpg

That lip is perfection and to have it in carbon fiber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I agree 100%

Brunoboy

Quoting turbowop:
That's exactly the same as the Boostx lip.

right!

Quoting turbowop:
That's exactly the same as the Boostx lip.

Ah, I didn't kow that. Its been a while since I've read that boostx lip thread.

I think they definitely look better on jdm bumpers but fromt he side it angles up which makes it look strange to me.

NickDromez

what kind of price are we looking at. im in, depending on the price

curtis

You know John (boostx) probably want say anything but I will and not because were buddies but its just in bad taste and would say this in favor of anyone on here that has went to the trouble to prototype, produce and sell any product. He doesn't even have one of these cars anymore but still supports the community by having stuff made. He mentioned to me having these done in CF but I was against it for the simple fact that CF resin fails and looks like crap in a year. Everyone knows what a evo wing look likes after being in the sun for a while and that was a factory piece, yea I know mitsubishi farmed it out to another company but still they had top designers working on it and they failed as well as the wing and cost the company 10's of thousands I'm sure with the recall they did. The resin just isn't UV stable I give a sh*t what brand it is and if its a dry or autocalved piece. The lip he got was an original from JDM land and then was cut to make shipping to the end customer easier and cheaper and also so it would be a universal fit for US bumpers as well as JDM and bumpers that have seen better days and have some flex and sag. The material he had the plastics guy use was the top of the line stuff and way way more expensive than CF and will withstand impact unlike CF when a shunk decides to jump out in front of the car and commit suicide. Yea it looks ricey but really do you want your galant to be riced out with CF. and crack the first time a stone or something pops up. I was more than pleased when mine showed up and even played with it by twisting and trying to make it flex.

As for who did these for John I know where he works and whats he does and his title , He wants to remain silent in the deal but he's the head of his dept in one of the biggest companies in the south maybe the US. I think the guy knows what he's doing and this was done as a personal favor to John because there friends. But he's still buying the materials and had to pay for the mold and the construction of it. I think us as a community should be grateful instead of wanting a different material and something a few pennies cheaper.

For any of you guys wanting these lips I'm sure John can have more made and they still have the mold. I'm sure they could use CF resin instead of gel coat and make a run of these but I think he and others around here are kind of burned out about peoples word. Problem was everyone wanted them until he had them done and then everyone is out of money and this was asked to produce after they knew the price. People should be able to say I want x and be willing to pay when its done because not only are you paying for the part but someones time, materials needed, packing materials etc.

You know since I've been around this site I've been on the engineering end of most of the cool guy projects for stuff thats been produced and alot of stuff thats one off for people that most of the people on here have never heard about. I traded Paulo a old school afc for the first set of CF vents and talked him into that, sent him the original prototype for the speaker gauge pod and talke dhim into that, worked with John on the design end of the subframe and mustache brace bushings but this copy cat sh*t is piss poor taste in my opinion.

If you want to produce something try and produce something new instead of asking for someone elses work so you can copy it. Members on here don't have the last name of Gates or Trump and do this stuff to add to there income, make a living or support there car guy habit because with out it may have no money for car toys. Damn people this isn't prison ebay or some f***ing dsm site lets start helping each other instead of sliding a shank inbetween someones ribs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

Last edited:

Nartanian

I thought boostx currently stopped making them. Last year I didn't have enough buy one, get the 2 pieces together, and then pay to have it color matched and painted. I figured with CF at least it doesn't need to painted but didn't take into consideration how bad it does in sunlight or driving conditions. I apologize if any offense has been made but I only had the best of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts