The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID's on your VR4 Galant

alansupra94

How many people run HIDs setups on their VR4's? I am looking to get a setup but however I am a bit afraid of running HIDs in a halogen setup. Anyone do a retrofit yet?

TurboTrader

I haven't personally seen one done in a VR-4, and in all likeliness, it hasn't been done yet. If done right, I think it would look pretty good. If one were inclined to do so, I don't see the housing as being an issue, but perhaps the diffusers in the glass lenses may cause some trouble keeping the spray minimal as to not blind other drivers. Perhaps you would be better off with a '93 lens/housing.

I had Silvania SilverStar Ultra's in #145 (stock bulb replacements), and was very pleased with the output. They looked great, and with the housing aimed properly, didn't blind on-coming drivers whatsoever. I only wish they made the corner marker bulbs in silverstar as well, since the headlights made the corner lights look dingy and washed out. I have SilverStars on my 1g DSM as well, but with the plastic lenses, the output is not near as good as it was on the Galant and sprays just a bit, but still better than standard bulbs.

If you haven't already, check out click There's alot of valuable information there on retrofitting. If you do it, be sure to post up a how-to type thread, as I would be very interested to see how it goes.

mooserage

Staff member
This has been done a number of times already. It has been done with kits that already retrofit to the cars and by a couple specially skilled people with projectors that are especially nice. Almost always people use the 93 headlight housings as they have the proper clear glass that won't reflect the light in every direction as badly.
-shamus

Search engine:
Previous HID discussion
another short discussion
nice long discussion
Example of 93 headlights
A BADASS retrofit

Members Ride's search:
Cory's GVR4
Jesse W
DJ
Andres

There are more too if you look through member's rides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

i have HID's in my 93 halogen housings. My lexus had HID's stock and did not have projectors. These are just as bright and i'm not blinding anyone like you would with a 92 or older housing (fluted lens)

DDM tuning sells them on the cheap, get 4500k so it's not all gay and blue, im running 35w on stock wiring without any issues, if using 55w i'd suggest the extra harness
click
drop down menu allows you to choose bulb type and wattage as well as color.

bad example of mine
dsc_0745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoodoo

Like the links above say, it's been done before but please be sure that you do it right. HID headlights have been engineered to disperse light a certain way. If it were me, I'd get some 93 headlights and retrofit a whole light assembly from a car that has factory HID's.

Nartanian

I have 8k hids on my 92 headlights. I would prefer 93 headlights but the are definitely not eye blinding or an annoyance. I've driven behind police cars and never got a warning/ticket, and so far I haven't had anyone flash their highs at me.

alansupra94

Quoting mooserage:
This has been done a number of times already. It has been done with kits that already retrofit to the cars and by a couple specially skilled people with projectors that are especially nice. Almost always people use the 93 headlight housings as they have the proper clear glass that won't reflect the light in every direction as badly.
-shamus

Search engine:
Previous HID discussion
another short discussion
nice long discussion
Example of 93 headlights
A BADASS retrofit

Members Ride's search:
Cory's GVR4
Jesse W
DJ
Andres

There are more too if you look through member's rides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I suck at searching...I tried and didn't find anything.

I have 93 headlights according to my previous owner so I might just drop in white HID's with yellow foglights. Right now my foglights don't work so I gotta do some electrical chasing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between 92 and 93? I just want to double check.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

turbowop

I still say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock halogens and just throwing HID's in them will make them worse. The stock lights are some of the best I've ever seen in a car. If you want HID's that bad, do it right and retrofit in some real projectors.

I love all the Hondas that run around locally with their cheapo HID kits. They run them during the day as well to show them off. LoOk At MY f***ing HiDS mAn OMG! It's f***ing ghey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Street Surgeon

I wouldn't say that throwing in a set of HID's (in the '93 housings) looks "worse" by any means. Brighter? Yes. Anyone want to retrofit in a set of projectors to my '93 headlamps?

prove_it

I'll try......

outcome not guaranteed though, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im with wop on this, do it right or don't do it. I want HID's too, but I'm waiting for a new set of 93 lenses first with a good HID kit. Around here there are a lot of Honda's doing the same thing, same for fords and trucks. Complete with ballasts mounted in socks and just shoved in a tight spot. God I hate it, looks like ass and everyone thinking they are cool as hell for spending 60 bucks on a dirt cheap kit made with inferior electronic components.

Ever wonder what the difference is between the $300 dollar kits and the $30 kits? hmmmmmm It's either a large mark-up or built right and tough and able to endure years of service without issues. Sure would suck to be in the middle of nowhere at night and have your headlights shut off at 75 mph....

my two cents.

Our headlights are brighter than most cars of that generation, if you have factory fogs, aim them to match the headlights and you'll have more than enough light.

DR1665

Quoting turbowop:

I love all the Hondas that run around locally with their cheapo HID kits. They run them during the day as well to show them off. LoOk At MY f***ing HiDS mAn OMG! It's f***ing ghey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Word.
Is.
Born.

HiDz OnLy UsE hAlF tHe PoWeR tHo So U cAn RuN tHeM aLl ThE tImE!

mikus

I've had halogen & 93+HID vr4's and strongly prefer the latter - night and day difference, pun intended. Never had any problems with the HID units or other drivers.

As far as HID kits, DDM's low-priced 35w have been reliable in my experience. 55w is overkill for any metropolitan area.

alansupra94

Quoting turbowop:
I still say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock halogens and just throwing HID's in them will make them worse. The stock lights are some of the best I've ever seen in a car. If you want HID's that bad, do it right and retrofit in some real projectors.

That is the reason why I asked if there has any retrofits done. That way when I go to pick up ballasts and lights, I can pick it up the projectors as well. I tend to get Lexus or Mercedes ballasts or a phillips ballast.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

Ralli380Gvr4

These are the ones that I got from Jeremy (JSchleim18), He basically put together a whole kit - retrofitted TSX projectors (5300k bulbs) in 93' headlights, used with a custom wiring harness made for the Galant and uses Phillips ballists. Supposedly the driver side is a little cock eyed but hopefully I can fix that after I install them. I may take them apart and re-do them to get the angles right but we will see how bad it is when they are installed.

On a side note, we worked out a trade and I don't think he will want to make any future "kits," but I'm sure he can chime in on the details.

alansupra94

Thanks for the details. TSX projectors it is then.

I might just try out the HID's in the regular housing for shits and giggles to see how I like it.

Thanks for all the input guys,
Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned