The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5200 RPM luanch vs stock tranny

Vman911

Well I stripped 1st gear out at showdown yesterday.
Dropped clutch at 5200 RPM and 20lbs of boost.
Stock tranny didn't like it. Shot a tooth out of caseing.

4thStroke

Stock GVR4 first gear?

Did it break right as you launched or did you manage to get going and it let go?

What kind of tires?

I ripped 3rd apart a while back, it's a pretty shitty feeling. Luckily I didn't break the case and paint the track.

Vman911

I believe it was stock 1st gear. Just put it in last week from a buddie of mine in tenn. I was running a 90 in there for last 2 yrs.
Fusion HRI tires at 24 psi.
When I dumped clutch I had some wheel hop let out of gas for a split sec hammered it down shifted into 2nd which didn't feel right, let off of gas down the track and could hear the teeth rattling around. By the time I got back to trailer there was fluid coming out a hole from a tooh that wanted freedom from the case.

IncorpoRatedX

5200 rpms is nothing major, but 20psi is a killer. thread title needs to be changed to reflect that lol. I came in here thinking "i usually launch at 5500, whats teh deal?"

4Grim

Yeah...5200 rpms and dropping the clutch on 1st isn't much of a issue, but at 20psi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

belize1334

I always figured that you just can't dump the clutch on a DSM transmission. Ease it out of the hole and then let her rip!

Barnes

The DSM 1st gear holds up a lot better right?

blackvr4

is it really necessary to launch at 20psi? I launch at about 10psi and i feel like that WAY more than enough.

deez

Try the evo first gear next time. Its in mine, and although I am not hard on the car, I heard it holds up much better so I went with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned