The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

794/100 Green VR4 Project

willyp20

I have been posting some info in the newbie section and I figured I would go ahead and start a progress thread. Not sure if this is the right section or not. If not mods feel free to move it.

I recently aquired a 1992 Galant VR4 #794/1000. I am the third owner and it has been sitting for a year and a half in a pole barn. I have been into dsm's for awhile now and have built up my gst to where its not any fun anymore so this is the replacment. My goals for this build is for reliability and comfort. Along with fast and handling of course.
Engine specs
6bolt base bored 20 over
Wiseco Pistons
Manley Rods
Clevite 77's
MLS HG
ARP ROD and Head studs
BC 272 cams
Manley springs with TI retainers
Venom SMI
PTE 680cc injectors
SAFC NEO currently but switching to DS-Map soon
As I said this engine is still in the gst but will be removed and transplanted into 794.
These are the first string of what is to come of this project. I picked it up last night and brought it home. This weekend will be cleaning, Gunking and powerwashing the engine bay and retaping and fastening everthing back to where it goes. I will keep everyone posted and take alot of pics. Plan on this thread to picture intense as I go along. Thanks everyone for welcoming me and I look forward to get this thing rolling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

Quoting "willyp20":
I have ... built up my gst to where its not any fun anymore so this is the replacement. My goals for this build is for reliability and comfort. Along with fast and handling of course.

Good on you for setting some goals before starting this project. Question though. If the GST was a pain in the ass and you're after reliability and comfort, how much of the GST PITA was due to the engine setup? Any thoughts on scaling the engine back a bit in pursuit of livability? Remember, on the street, a flat torque curve can be more fun (more often) than a peaky, big turbo mill.

Just throwing it out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

willyp20

Most of the pita was the clutch setup. Which is what it is suffering from now. I am planning on going with a 2600pp and a street disk. I plan on doing a very little amount of detuning to get it more family friendly on the streets. I am really going to concentrate on tuning now. I had a safc and I am planning on switching to DS-MAP. I want to get good at making good safe power without being on the edge. I am going to try to gather up the funds for a good trans so that will not be my weak link considering that is one of the expensive and hard to find parts of the drive train.

willyp20

I took a few more pics today. I am going to start tearing into the gst this week I think. Pulled the ecu out today to prepare it for socketing. I am going to also try to order my ostrich this week too.
P1020780.jpg

P1020781.jpg

P1020782.jpg

P1020778.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BoostedAWD91

good luck with the build and welcome to the board. Nice to see your saving a shell from the scrap yard

willyp20

This is the powerplant that is going in the VR4. Should be fun... Working on getting my ecu socketed this week and getting my ostrich. So when It comes time Ill have everything ready for the first fireup.

ccdcbac0.jpg

e4ea8982.jpg

3bbfcd62.jpg

766cc8b8.jpg

c7257aad.jpg

brisvr4

Are you planning on using that exhaust manifold and waste gate as well? I think you might have some radiator clearance issues with it?
Looks like a nice build.

curtis

Agree the hks pineapple may need to be turned and whats up with the diet Mtn Dew. That's like caffeine free Mtn dew ....whats the point.

yeah clearance is a lot different in the vr4s over the 1gs. i had to have a custom manifold made for my car to fit my turbo.

willyp20

I hope this not be the case. I cant afford another manifold. My wife already wants to casterate me. And john. Your an ass..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

You wont have to have another manifold built but you could get an aluminum radiator to put under the support or do a half cut civic radiator in aluminum.

thecman02

Just as long as you have a good rad fan should have no problems.

willyp20

Quoting 9t1tsi:
what you dont need AC!

You can talk to chrissy about that one. Oh and charlie and zoie too. Let me know how that works for ya... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

willyp20

Well I was not planning on getting to this so quick but I want to make it to the import nationals the 30th of this month. Here are some pics of me tearing apart the gst for the powerplant. Im planning on dropping the block into the galant this sunday and hopfully I will have my clutch so I can put my tranny in by the middle of next week and be driving it. Holy sh*t I cant wait.
8e62843d.jpg

e03d9f3b.jpg

willyp20

There is going to be some work routing the piping for the innercooler though. I am not looking forward to this part. I will not be using the same piping as what you see on the eclipse BTW.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts