The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Here we go again...

DR1665

In typical Phoenix rush hour fashion, I'm stopped in the fast lane. Car ahead starts moving, I ease off the clutch, and BAM! I'm looking at the headliner.

Sunglasses on the passenger floorboard next to the ashtrtay, whichj has exploded, showering the interior with loose change. Pen in shirt pocket now under my feet, seat fully reclined, moonroof shade opened about 3 inches. I can feel where my neck muscles attach to the side of my head. Car is still running, AC still humming away, I'm listening to "All Things Considered."

Guy in 07 Jetta and I exit the highway and pull into a parking lot. At first, I can't believe it's not worse than this. His front bumper cover has a bunch of little cracks and the lip is separated, but doesn't look nearly as bad as it felt. (Which is worse than the Kia incident.)

464/1000 will be totaled tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Drove it home, but...

- rear bumper cover deformed, sagging driver side
- trunk is cock-eyed, huge gap on driver side, no gap passenger
- rear quarter, driver side, wedged against back door, paint is chipped
- rear pillar, driver side, has a small buckle up top
- oh yeah, and the pass auto belt is jammed too

Allstate says I'm not at fault, but I heard the other guy say he hit me because I stopped too fast. I was already stopped. This will be another fight.

Will post updates as I have them. For now, just want to eat, chain smoke, and go to bed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

solidviper89

Aww man, that sucks dude. I hope that jetta driving idiot gets what he deserves.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Muskrat

Damn, man. That sucks.

Quote:
he hit me because I stopped too fast.

This is never a valid excuse. It's the driver's responsibility to leave enough room between car's so if anything unexpected happens (like the brake being jammed on) they can remain in control and not cause an accident. It's the #1 rule of defensive driving. If anything goes to court, and that's his excuse, he'll get torn a new one I'm sure.

Well dammit. Fight the hell out of it. Buy a tank as a daily while you're at it too. Get a rental car and your neck checked too.

turbowop

Hit you because you stopped too fast? Um, no. Everybody knows that if you rear-end somebody, you're at fault for either following too closely or not paying attention.

Good luck man. That sucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Muskrat

Oh, and make sure you fight for every penny from the insurance company. I'm sure they'll try to dick you over.

DR1665

So now that I've had a couple beers (and some asprin), here's some pictures. It doesn't look like much, but it's enough. He hit me off center, towards the driver side, so more force went down that side of the car. I've seen - first hand - how the bumper, because it's tied into the unibody, can pull things to one side. I might have cut the nose off 195/2000 and re-attached a new one, but this includes pillar damage, so I don't know what I'm gonna do.

In this one, notice where the ashtray ended up. It flew out of it's slot, bounced off the seat back, and ended up on the floorboard.

Driver rear door. Still opens and closes, but it's jacked. Quarter panel pushed into door. Unibody = fucked.

How fucked? This fucked.

So how'd the Jetta come out?

$1500 or so worth of damage isn't so bad when your car is worth something like $15,000. $1500 worth of damage on a car the insurance company is going to say is worth $800, on the other hand.

Here we go again...

ktmrider

Unreal the luck you and your cars have...
Like mentioned the rear-ender is ALWAYS at fault regardless of who stopped "faster". Also let him explain how a 20yr old car was able to out brake him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

mpt72

He was suppossed to leave enough room in front of him so if he was brake checked, he could stop... makes me wonder if he was on his phone maybe? This upsets me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

DR1665

Quoting ktmrider:
Unreal the luck you and your cars have...
Like mentioned the rear-ender is ALWAYS at fault regardless of who stopped "faster". Also let him explain how a 20yr old car was able to out brake him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yup. Turd's luck, I'm saying.

The thing that gets me is, if I suddenly slammed on the brakes, he would have HAD to have been travelling at more than the 5mph he tried saying he was going when he hit me. If I wasn't braking, what reason would he have for going just 5mph on the interstate?

This is going to be a struggle. I'll let you guys know what they damages are tomorrow. For now, I need to finish this pack of smokes and go to bed.

DAMNIT man!! Hope you're OK but be sure to go & get checked out by a doctor. As mentioned, you need a friggin' tank. I bet people will notice you then & won't run into it.

Barnes

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Man that sucks. This is one of the other reasons I DD my Camry. Don't give a sh*t if it gets totaled out.

DAMN!! this makes me even more anxious to get my civic running so i can stop DDing 1893... one less GVR4 in phoenix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif if they total it out are you gonna keep it?

bazeng

In Aus, you are always in the wrong if you hit them from behind. The law states you should always leave enough of a gap to stop.

raptorWagon

I do remember when I was living in VA, that their law allows it to go both ways, there are some seriously retarded driver's out there. People will literally stop in the middle of the freeway, saw one guy at a dead stop because he wasn't fast enough to get into the exit lane and merge over to the off ramp lane, so he just sat there waiting for someone to let him by. Took me a second to realize he was at a dead stop when I switched lanes, watched as a Dodge Dakota just about took him out. That right there would not have been the rear ender's fault.

What happened to Brian, though is totally the Jetta's fault, when you're coming off the freeway you should already be decelerating expecting to come to a stop. I bet he was on his cell phone, talking it up not paying attention anyway.

H05TYL

Quote:
saw one guy at a dead stop because he wasn't fast enough to get into the exit lane and merge over to the off ramp lane, so he just sat there waiting for someone to let him by. Took me a second to realize he was at a dead stop when I switched lanes, watched as a Dodge Dakota just about took him out. That right there would not have been the rear ender's fault.

Sorry but I dis-agree, yes the guy was retarded for doing that, BUT - you should be looking far enough ahead that you have time to see and react to a stationary object in front of you.
I have come across a Railway sleeper (the big bits of wood they attach the tracks to - no idea what you guys call 'em) in the middle of the road whilst riding a bike - had I hit it i'd've been dead, the fact it shouldn't have been there wouldn't have changed my deadness!

^Offtopic but we call them cross ties.

It's doesnt look too bad. With your injuries and daytime TV attorney I think the insurance company can fix a Galant.

blacksheep

Quoting turbowop:
Hit you because you stopped too fast? Um, no. Everybody knows that if you rear-end somebody, you're at fault for either following too closely or not paying attention.

Good luck man. That sucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wop - Time to get rid of your big brake it, mang. You gonna stop too quick... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Such a shame this happened. I say that the guy to court and "work" him only because he cannot man up and admit he made a mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Quoting raptorreed:
I do remember when I was living in VA, that their law allows it to go both ways, there are some seriously retarded driver's out there. People will literally stop in the middle of the freeway, saw one guy at a dead stop because he wasn't fast enough to get into the exit lane and merge over to the off ramp lane, so he just sat there waiting for someone to let him by. Took me a second to realize he was at a dead stop when I switched lanes, watched as a Dodge Dakota just about took him out. That right there would not have been the rear ender's fault.

What happened to Brian, though is totally the Jetta's fault, when you're coming off the freeway you should already be decelerating expecting to come to a stop. I bet he was on his cell phone, talking it up not paying attention anyway.

agreed, some VA drivers... maybe cuz i've been out west and seen Cali style driving, but when I go back to VA, I feel like a maniac while driving on the interstate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Is this the car that was in Pasadena? If it is, it has bad luck getting in accidents. Sorry to hear this and whether or not it's the other driver's fault (which more than likely would be in a rear end), sucks that the insurance will probably not fix it and if they do it'll never be the same.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts