The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New solid Prothane front motor mount bushing...

moduleunknown

As I'm sure most know, Prothane's front motor mount is no longer the two inserts that compliment the factory mount, but rather a solid piece that needs to be pressed in.

Before I pass the point of no return and cut out the metal sleeve, I'm wondering if anyone thinks that I might run into any problems being that the bolt hole for the original mount is off center and the prothane is centered. All three other mounts will be replaced with Prothane pieces and I don't imagine there will be much give being that they're solid and pretty firm. I just don't want to have a problem getting the bolt through the front one when then engine goes back in. What do you guys think? Install this one, or leave it alone?

Maybe I worry too much... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have that new one pice MM. It helps to have an extra person to work the jack while you try and slide the bolt through the hole.

I put the jack under the transmission and lift the whole assembly slowly, little bit at a time while I try to push the bolt in. Once you get the mount bolted to the support bar you will see which way the motor needs to go in order to get the bolt in.

And FYI the front and rear are the two that are most commonly installed on gvr4's/dsm's. Most people don't mess with the sides because our motor really doesn't shift side to side as much as it does front to back. Installing poly mounts will transmit more vibration to the cabin but the trade off is reducing a ton of slop from the old oem MMs.

moduleunknown

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues. In it goes!

I don't mind the additional vibration. I did all the mounts in my old 2G and removed my balance shafts, so I know what I'm in for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Part number for the front piece?

Terry Posten

Damn you. Now you have forced me to ordered one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

It only money right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My old one was the two piece that I never liked. This should be much better.

Dialcaliper

If you'll notice that the motor mounts are off-center to the top, but when the engine is installed, the weight of the engine causes it to sag approximately to the center of the mount. Shouldn't be a problem.

turbophein

i can't seem to find these going through the year/make/model search! i am looking for the rear mount as well!

Adorsey

That insert was a little tough to get in, I took the mount right out and used a floor jack and the frame rail to my truck to get it in without going in sideways. If there is trouble getting the bolt through the mount, try mounting it first then, bolting the mount in place

turbophein

found it...

part # 13506 for the rear mount

belize1334

Digging up an old thread.

I just installed this front mount. Prothanes instructions list it as a two piece mount that can be pressed in by hand. Had me going for a while thinking they'd sent the wrong mount. I was contemplating going down to the shop and pressing it in but I figured, the whole rest of the kit is split bushings, why should this one not be. So I grabbed my smooth-serrated bread knife and VERY CAREFULLY cut it in two. Got a really nice clean cut and pushed it together from the outside just like the other three.

Can anyone see a reason that having this be a split mount would be a bad thing?

Terry Posten

I just used my 6" bench vise and a bit of axle Greece and pressed it in.

However, can't see any reason why it would hurt the bush if you cut it in half. The bracket that bolts to the motor will fully encapsulate the bush so it can't slide out once installed.

gramkrakr89

I just pressed mine in with a vise and lube as well, went right in with minimal fuss...

I personally can't see why dividing it in half would be an issue since the bracket squeezes it together, but they might've done it for some reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

tektic

I did this today and ran in to two distinct issues. The urethane bushing is like 4mm less than the hole it's supposed to go in and the bolt hole in the metal bushing is entirely too big for the bolt.

I didn't take all the old rubber out of the old mount before I pressed it in. If I was smart about it I would have offset it like the original center hole was off set.

As for the metal bushing I used the center from the stock rubber part and cut an equal length of 3/4" copper pipe and pressed the bushing inside the pipe. This made a decently snug fit.

It was still a great big pain in the ass to get the new mount in. 3 hours and now the side mount won't line up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts