The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve Cover Still Leaking

Hittman

Ok so I replaced my cracked VC not long ago and have realized that it is, in fact, STILL LEAKING.

After I pryed off the VC for inspection, I visually inspected it for cracks...nothing.

BUT...the valve cover seals/gaskets (stem seals as well) seem to have taken a considerable amount of wear (but they are brand new), they are partially melted :/

Im not sure but I think the leak is coming from the top left bolt? Has anyone else had this similar experience? Did i buy a crap VC gasket replacement kit (form eBay)?

Any help is a appreciated as usual.

Last edited:

vtecds1

How much did you tighten it? I usually put a sealer with it.

turbowop

Have you checked all bolts to make sure they're tight, but not overtight? Sometimes it takes me several times around the pattern of bolts to get them all tight with certain gaskets. I've also noticed that with some you need to be careful when putting the cover back on the head as some of the silicone type gaskets can come out of the groove and get smashed wrong under the cover, or torn by a bolt. You should only need RTV in the corners of the cam caps and a bead across the top of the half moon.

Do you have a hyundia(shaved) valve cover? Is so, you'll need a little longer bolts. The OEM ones won't tighten it down enough.

call it overkill but i never reuse a valve cover gasket unless im in a pinch. but if its reused always clean it thoroughly.

this is how i install/change them...
1: remove the old one and try not to damage the head surface.
2: remove the old RTV and gasket material with a brush very gently not to gouge the surface.
3: clean the valve cover gasket area
4: use brake cleaner on the surface to remove any debris and oils.
5: put RTV grey or black on your hand using latex gloves and RTV the whole new gasket

Last edited by a moderator:

4nmscle

get you an OEM valve cover gasket set and tube seals. get a half moon from and evo. you only need to use a little bit of rtv. put the rtv in the crevice of the havf moon. make sure your threads are good and clean, and tighten from inside to out.

SleepinGVR4

I haven't seen anyone mention that your valve cover could be warped. I had the same thing happen to a Hyundai VC I had. I had no idea it was warped, replaced everything and it still leaked. Put and OEM vc on and it stopped leaking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned