The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heater core - Aftermarket or OEM? Help me decide.

moduleunknown

So, the car is currently torn apart as I have recently repainted the engine bay. Prior to this, there was a faint smell of coolant in the cabin, but the heater core wasn't to the point that it had soaked anything inside the car. Being that it's out of the car at the moment, I will replace it. However, I'm having a difficult time trying to convince myself that the quality of an aftermarket core will be on par with that of an OEM unit and that it would be a good idea to save $200 by not buying OEM. The stock unit lasted damn near 19 years... and with the amount of work involved in replacing the thing, I'd rather not have to go through it for another 19 years.

I thought I'd gather some opinions in a poll (except I failed twice at creating a thread with a poll) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. So, Spend the money for OEM and feel slightly more secure, or chance it with an aftermarket unit?

And to anyone who has replaced their's with a non-OEM unit, how long ago? I'm just curious on how they're holding up. The only aftermarket core I seem to keep finding is from 'Ready-Rad' - every place I check, their part number leads me to that company/brand...

Thanks for the input! I need to make up my mind and start putting the car back together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BoostedAWD91

OEM!!!! I bought a aftermarket one for $100 and it was junk and didnt barely work so i had to redo it and switch with a oem one

Barnes

Used? I bought a CarQuest heater core when I *first* did my heater core. It worked REALLY well. It has a much higher fin density so it would pump out some serious heat. However.. after a year or so it developed a pin hole leak. So I swapped in a ~18year old used OEM core and it has worked well ever since.

Street Surgeon

ASA seems to suggest that the pn for our GVR4's is the same as any old DSM?

p/n MB439468

moduleunknown

Yup, they're the same. I'm just gonna stop by the stealership and bend over. Don't trust used, and if I can get new (even if it is expensive), I guess it will be worth it if it lasts me another 19 years.

Muskrat

Check out JNZ Tuning. They can get you OEM parts, and usually (read, always) at a better price than the dealer.

moduleunknown

That is where I ordered from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Checked the dealership down the street first since the parts guy is cool and will give me a discount. I'd pay a little more just because it would be easier/faster, but comparing their price with JNZ on this, no deal today.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned