The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headliner Overhaul!!!

turbophein

so i was planning on redoing my headliner soon, mainly because of the stains on it, plus adding some foam number inserts under the headliner(#1755/2000) i think it would look awesome to have the # on the roof... but for now i just overhauled it real quick. it came out like a charcoal color not pure black, but it matches great with the interior, way better than stock.

all that is needed:

Spray bottle
2 bottles of black RIT dye

i did a 50/50 mix with water, and so far only 1 coat of the dye.(i ran out, only bought 1 bottle)

i did the headliner and visors. so far they look great. there drying in the sun now.

SSPX0449.jpg

SSPX0451.jpg

SSPX0453.jpg

SSPX0452.jpg

SSPX0454.jpg

SSPX0455.jpg

SSPX0456.jpg

DR1665

Came out pretty good, dude. How do you apply the dye? Mix with water in a spray bottle or something?

I don't think I'd try the dye on the floor (concerns about wearing off), but on the headliner, that's not such a bad idea.

fuel

cool

the only thing I would be worried about is would the black headliner make the interior too dark now? I quite like the lighter colour from the base of the pillars up, brings a bit of lightness into an otherwise dark interior. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my carpet with red carpet, wonder how that would contrast with the black dash and black leather seats. Perhaps it would make the interior seem sporty to match the sports car theme.

turbophein

so i ended up just recovering the headliner with suede. it was cheap and easy.

with the dye if you scratched the fabric it would leave a grey chalky line. it just plain didn't work. don't try it!

maybe removing the factory headliner and putting in the washer machine to dye it, like your suppose to would yield better results.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Ha Ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Gotta love trial and error. I think we all have parts laying around that seemed like a good idea at the time, then quickly found out it was not.

Pics of the new suede liner please. I was gonna say if it worked good, I'm with you.
Fuel,
Red carpet?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Are you out of your mind? Might as well paint your suede inserts red and white like another member on here, I won't mention names!! If your that rice-en loud, you should roll honda's. Strictly opinion though. To each there own.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

haha it was only an idea. It looks good in other cars which have dark coloured dashboard and seats, for instance a Peugeot 205 GTi springs to mind and it doesn't look so bad at all - it adds a sporty flair to the interior which the VR-4 severely lacks and is always criticised for.

205gti_3-L.jpg

std_1992_Peugeot_205GTI-black-redblack_interior-mx-.jpg

Doesn't look so bad does it?

cheekychimp

I guess driving a genuine JDM Civic Type R, I can't say too much, but I really could do without the bright red Recaros and carpet. I like the seats a lot but if I was offered the exact same ones in black from an Accord Euro R I would swap them in a heart beat. And I am still tempted to pick up a plain black carpet from a UK spec car. The ironic thing is the bloody red interior actually makes the car worth more being JDM. But if I decide to keep the car, sooner or later anything red is going ... sorry!

Last edited:

blacksheep

^^^^^^ Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Red is mad tiite JDM. Ship the car to me - ALL RED! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cheekychimp

KC,

Seriously Dude if shipping wasn't so bloody stupidly expensive from here, I would ship you the seats and carpet to sell to some Civic Si, Type R wannabe driver and put the money towards a UK spec carpet and some Brides!

Paul.

^^ great minds think alike.
Red accents are one thing, but when it makes up a quarter or more of the interior /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Fuel, everyone's taste is different. If you like it, rock it. That's my opinion on the matter. Just not my thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

In for pics of suede headliner. I have been wanting to do this for a while but its hard to find good adhesive.

A local shop wants 300 bucks to do a headliner in suede. If I can just find the industrial strength adhesive then I can do it myself.

Also, how did you work the headliner out of the car?

boostedinaz

Mike I used some 3M adhesive that the cute old lady at the fabric store sold me when I did the trunk in 1101. Once it dried there was no way I was going to get if off. I can see if I can find the info on what I used and I may even have the can sitting in my garage.

4thStroke

I just posted pictures of my suede headliner in my "updating the interior" thread just a few posts down.

I used the medium strength 3M adhesive and it sticks well. The Permatex I used prior wasn't near as tacky and I was able to peal it off without a problem when I decided to redo it with the 3M product.

Be careful when removing the trim pieces around the liner, I broke a few. I wrestled it through the rear passenger side door.

Wizardawd

click

A buddy of mine in NC that did some headliners for me a while back. Quite simple and cheap to do actually.

Wiz

Quoting boostedinaz:
Mike I used some 3M adhesive that the cute old lady at the fabric store sold me when I did the trunk in 1101. Once it dried there was no way I was going to get if off. I can see if I can find the info on what I used and I may even have the can sitting in my garage.

Cool thanks. When I get a chance I'll swing by a few local places and price fabric.

Scientist

I'm considering doing quite a bit of my interior in Suede including the dash (Covering and fixing the cracks) but I don't think there's anyone local to me good enough to get the job done.

vtecds1

Looks good!!! I did the headliner on my 92 eg a couple of years back. I bought some vinyl from Jo Ann fabrics and used the spray on glue to attach it. Turned out good and match the leather gsr seats.

turbophein

i used the high tack/hold 3m adhesive at autozone.

as for the suede. EBAY believe it or not. i got 4 yards shipped for under $30. i can almost do the whole car with the amount of material i have left!

turbophein

here is a couple quick pics. i haven't figured out what i am going to do for the handles and lights yet. i've been working on more important things...

SSPX0881.jpg

SSPX0879.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned