The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

high idle

971of1000

I recently ordered the seals for the tb shafts from jnz and installed them. everything has been checked and rechecked, coiling the tb springs, checking the biss screw for leaks etc. The cable is not tight and the idle switch is where it should be. I was wondering if removing the faiv would help at all.

Muskrat

Check to make sure your ISC motor is functioning properly. See VFAQ.

Also, what is your tps reading? At idle? At WOT?

Did this problem just start with the rebuild? Does it get better after the car warms up a lot?

971of1000

It started with the rebuild of the tb and doesnt ever get better. the isc may be an issue. would the faiv have anything to do with this?

check your ECU, make sure nothings messed up with it, i'm fairly certain my high idle is due to my asploded ISC driver in the ECU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Adorsey

I think that the FIAV should be your second or third guess, I would get your Ohmmeter out to test the ISC motor on the tb via Vfaq first, then probably a boost leak test.

grocery_getter

Quoting 971of1000:
I recently ordered the seals for the tb shafts from jnz and installed them. everything has been checked and rechecked, coiling the tb springs, checking the biss screw for leaks etc. The cable is not tight and the idle switch is where it should be. I was wondering if removing the faiv would help at all.

Did you set the idle switch right? If it is pushing down to much just a tiny bit, it will make the tb plate slightly open. You don't need the tb plate to be even slightly open much to raise the idle. Have you tried backing off the idle switch all the way, take it out and just close the switch manually?

971of1000

the isc driver has been replaced.

971of1000

It has also been hard to start lately with the weather in the 40s and 50s. Would any of this be attributed to the possible isc problem.

GVR4_1057

Did you also just bypass the coolant flow to the TB?

971of1000

nope i am running coolant through the tb.

grocery_getter

Quoting grocery_getter:
Quoting 971of1000:

Did you set the idle switch right? If it is pushing down to much just a tiny bit, it will make the tb plate slightly open. You don't need the tb plate to be even slightly open much to raise the idle. Have you tried backing off the idle switch all the way, take it out and just close the switch manually?

^^^^^^^^^^ TRIED THIS?

971of1000

last night i tested the isc and the idle switch to make sure they worked correctly. I put everything back together and adjusted it. sometimes it idles at 2k but if i rev it and let off it goes back between 1000 and 1500. it is doing alot better but it can still troublesome at times. i am going to mess with it a little more but at least i can live with it i guess.

stevep

I ruined one TB by cleaning off the sealant the factory used on the back side of the throttle butterfly when doing my seals. That's how little a difference it can be between surging and not.

ghostinthevr4

Loop those coolant lines and install a FIAV plate and that will help a lot. You'll just have to give her some gas in the morning when you first start her up. Worked for me but I also used DSMlink to play with the TPS range. Even without the link it'll help your idle if everything else isn't to far off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts