The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car is suffering from depression.

I checked vfaq and searched here, but I can't find if I put the zoloft in the oil cap, or if there is another way. I have reason to believe my car is trying to kill itself. I know this is a lame story, but its my birthday, and I'm going to tell my story dammit.

I was driving to the local grocery store, when I was about to turn left into the parking lot when... My shifter got stuck in third and the revs were building. I was trying to come to a stop but the car just kept building up. I forced it into neutral and now it was bouncing off the launch control, I quickly turned the car off and glided to safety.

So, I pop the hood, there is oil every where (popped the dis stick tube out). The throttle cable is loose..so why the hell is the car acting like its at WOT? I put a quart of oil in and see that there is slack at the pedal, and at the throttle body. Confused, I pull the wiggans clamp off the throttle body to see if I broke the throttle plate.

I then saw something I would of never imagined... There was the dipstick I thought I lost, stuck in the throttle body. It has been in the UICP for at least a hundred miles. My car tried to off itself.

needless to say, yesterday I got a face palm.

cheekychimp

How on earth did that happen? I thought you meant the dipstick had been shot out, was lodged in the engine bay and was interfering with the throttle plate linkage. How the hell did the dipstick get INSIDE the UICP?

I must of put it there when I was pulling the motor and forgot about it. I went to the junkyard and scooped a new one, I thought I lost the old one. I now understand why people put rags in the pipes. I learned my lesson. I'm lucky I didn't blow the new motor!

When I took the coupler off and saw the dipstick, I wish I would of taken a pic. I felt like I was looking at an alien. Not what I expected.

cheekychimp

Quote:
I'm lucky I didn't blow the new motor!

Actually no, you are lucky you didn't kill yourself. Can you imagine if the throttle had got stuck wide open on the freeway whilst you were overtaking or doing a pull? I'm not making fun of you, we ALL make stupid mistakes. I'm just saying you are lucky that happened the way it did and allowed you to find a potentially lethal problem.

Last edited:

oh no totally. This happened right by the grocery store, I had to avoid all of the old ladys. I am very very lucky. In all seriousness.

Last edited by a moderator:

524of1000

Wow. Glad everything is ok. Don't worry though, we all make those mistakes, Thats why my title is crossed member lol.

jepherz

Staff member
Good thing it's not a Toyota and you can actually shut the car off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LOL! An entire dipstick? I've found lighters smashed up in oil pans before never a dipstick yet!

Someone needs to test the vr-4 from 100mph full throttle full brake to see if it passes the car/driver stuck throttle braking test.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts