The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cel 14

971of1000

I have been getting an intermittant cel 14. It is the tps sensor. What could be wrong with it? The cars runs like a top and only comes on during some acceleration and decel. any help would be awesome

MitchooO

did you have a chance to check the voltage and set it to the spec that mitsu give you? i think if you search it on here you should be able to find it, i cant remember what it is off the top of my head

Brunoboy

do you have a logger? its suppoed to be at 10 or closest to 10. also is it bolted down all the way? if its loose, it will move i assume under throttle.
-Shane

stevep

Quoting 971of1000:
I have been getting an intermittant cel 14. It is the tps sensor.
What could be wrong with it?
The cars runs like a top and only comes on during some acceleration and decel.

Both the IPS and TPS and their wiring that can cause the 14 fault.
The TPS does wear out over time and get bad spots in the resistive element. Your TPS voltage needs to change smoothly from it's idle setting of about 0.5v to it's max of about 5v.

stevep

Idle Position Switch. It's the throttle closed switch on the back of the throttle body. It grounds the wire from the ECU when the throttle is closed. I'm not sure it GVR4 also have a throttle body ground strap like DSMs do but the IPS depends on the TB having a good ground.

Brunoboy

I dont recall any other wires coming off the Throttle body other than the Idle Position switch. If someone would please take a pic of this, to show how many wires are where, that would be nice.
-Shane

971of1000

other than a logger is there a way to check voltage?

stevep

Quoting brunoboy:
I dont recall any other wires coming off the Throttle body other than the Idle Position switch. If someone would please take a pic of this, to show how many wires are where, that would be nice.
-Shane

The throttle body has the IPS, TPS and ISC attached that are wired. It may also have a ground strap running between one of the bolts attaching the throttle body to the IM and the top of the throttle body. The IPS needs a good TB ground to function.

I don't have any pictures of a stock GVR4 TB/Intake to confirm. On a 91+ DSM it looks like this.

TBAttach.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned