The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tein or hotbits?

Whoodoo

Im gonna get some camber plates and it looks like I have a choice between tein or hotbits. The thing is, the hotbits plates will be ~50 bucks more. Are they worth that much more? I really like the idea of supporting a smaller, more local company but $50 bucks is quite a bit more expensive. Any input is appreciated.

jepherz

Staff member
I think the Tein plates are Aluminum, aren't they? The Hotbits I have are steel. That doesn't really say much about durability without knowing the thicknesses but I have seen bent up Cusco aluminum plates.

$50 is a lot of money....

turbowop

Save $50 and get the Teins. Hotbits coilovers are better, but the top plate differences between the two brands are negligible, IMO.

*edit*

Jepherz beat me to the reply and I didn't realize the Hotbits top plates were steel. That said, my Tein plates are doing well after seven years and I can't say I've ever seen a set that were bent due to being aluminum.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

Quoting jepherz:

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not... How much adjustment is possible with the hotbits. How much with the teins?

turbowop

The Teins on my car allow for -2° camber. Camber bolts can be used to add additional negative camber as I've done to get about -2.4°.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Whoodoo:
Quoting jepherz:

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not... How much adjustment is possible with the hotbits. How much with the teins?

Nope, not sarcasm. $50 is a lot of money when you're talking about an additional 50% cost. I think in terms of adjust ability, they are going to be about the same.

I've never heard of anyone having any bending issues with the teins, and like I said, I only saw it in cuscos. I'd personally get the Teins if I were you.

jasonvr4

Hi,

Well i tossed up on the thought of both of the questioned suspension set ups.

And i ended up buying BC Coilovers and I am so so happy with them the handiling is outstanding
I believe they are better than Tein and Hotbits --- Have a look at them you wont be dissapointed !!

Jasonvr4
Sydney

Whoodoo

Im not talking about a whole coilover setup, just the front camber plates. I will be running evo struts and springs and will need to have camber adjustment when I either cut the front springs or get some espelirs. Does BC sell camber plates?

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting jasonvr4:
Hi,

And i ended up buying BC Coilovers and I am so so happy with them the handiling is outstanding
I believe they are better than Tein and Hotbits --- Have a look at them you wont be dissapointed !!

Jasonvr4
Sydney

What exactly makes you say they are better than Hotbits or Teins?

fivestardsm

The price is the only thing I would say would be better.

belize1334

FWIW you can also get GVR-4 specific KSport camber plates. Also, Ground-Control makes a really nice looking DSM camber plate that has four slotted bolt holes for caster adjustability. I've spoken with their tech guy who assures me that they also work on the E39A chassis with the sacrifice that you have to use up some of the caster "room" in order to get the bolts to fit our elliptical bolt pattern.

Olson

Quoting jasonvr4:
Hi,

Jasonvr4
Sydney

Looks dont mean squat to me. valveing and spring matching are the biggest things. Jap tend to ramp there rebound and damping up so you get more of a jaring feeling out of it. While the hot bit that are on my car fell nice and smooth, also at the same time you can crank up the adjustment on them and they handle a hell of alot better than teins and ksports. Ive driven all three setups at thunderhill and i will say again hotbit all the way.

On to the camper plates i can get -3 degrees out of my hotbit camber plates. More camber is good on a front heavy car like ours. also tire size makes a diffrence on how much camber you want to run.
Jake

grocery_getter

Quoting turbowop:
The Teins on my car allow for -2° camber. Camber bolts can be used to add additional negative camber as I've done to get about -2.4°.

Wop, I might not remember this right but I think I've gotten up to around -3.5deg of camber on my Tein plates a while ago without using any camber bolt.

turbowop

I don't know how. Mine are maxed out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Notice that the center bearing is as far in as it will go:

944a90561d68dd2.jpg

belize1334

^^ Sorry for the off-topic post but where'd you get that strut tower brace?

turbowop

It's just a Cusco bar. I bought it used and the end brackets were in pretty rough shape, so I had them powdercoated to match the valve cover.

AWDnot2

Now that is one clean engine bay!

Whoodoo

So I was looking around and trying to compare the available camber plates for our e39a's and apparently Tein has invented a new material... Their mounts are made from 'Ultra Duraluminum A2017S-4'. What the hell is that? If you google it, the only hits you get are tein related. Anyone know what they hell this stuff is? How have all your tein mounts been holding up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned