The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LSD and motor question

deez

I am looking for a core to rebuild and a guy says he has a 1990 motor to sell. Is there any difference between the 90 motors? Also, I am going to do a 3 bolt lsd conversion and if I recall, all I need to get to make it work is axles from a 1G DSM. Is that accurate?

DR1665

Don't know about the LSD question, but the 90 engine will work. The engine in 195/2000 came out of a 90 GS-T with over 200,000 miles on it that had an electrical fire in the engine bay. I cleaned it up, dropped it in, and it was fine for the better part of a year, until I stress tested it with AC in July Phoenix rush hour traffic. I actually heard the death rattle when I got it off the road and let it die.

Engine got new rings and rod bearings from Parts Dinosaur and an Autzone MLS headgasket/timing belt. Purrs like a kitten.

No worries.

curtis

The lsd unit will go right in your housing and you can take off the 4ws drive gear and reuse it as long as your super careful. Make sure you swap the ring gear from yours and use it with the new lsd's, sometimes you could get lucky and it work fine but I wouldn't trust it . Always keep the ring and pinion gears together as a matching set. The axles is different on the passenger side (I think) because it drives the lsd and has 2 sets of splines but I think the driver is also larger in dia as well so get both. Use layout die on the gears as you take things apart and as you assemble so the wear pattern matches and also check the lash with a dial indicator.

jepherz

Staff member
Like curtis said, you will need BOTH axles from the 3 bolt LSD unit. One (Pass side) has an extra set of smaller diameter splines to engage the LSD, and the driver side has a shorter spline shaft. A lot of people mistakingly run the stock driver's side axle because it fits in fine and works for the most part, the dust shield just won't ever mate with the seal on the diff.

deez

Okay, so I have only the rear end so I ask for axles off a 1G, right?

jepherz

Staff member
Well, axles from a DSM with LSD. They came in 3-bolt non-lsd, 3-bolt LSD, and 4 bolt LSD (possibly 4 bolt non-LSD too).

This thread shows some useful info.

deez

gotcha, thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned