The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NO dash badges!!! wtf!?!?!? ....rant....

381gvr4

Not trying to offend anyone with my opinion below.....

Quick Bio.....
I've been on this forum for about 2 yrs. My story with 381 is I bought a bone stock 1G with a blown motor for a drag car back in 03. Bought a few, parted them out and kept what I wanted. I had all the parts to put it together but clutch, turbo setup and exhaust. Spent all the money on OEM parts, used TRE trans, super clean shell. I got side tracked with other builds and this one never got off the ground. Years past. I had all the parts but decided I didn't want to be part of the DSM scene because the nature of DSMers drove me crazy!!!! I never even drove the thing.

Then I remembered the VR4 a buddy Wes had back around 2000. All the same drive train, that I already had. So I started my search and here I am today. I planned on building my car and daily driving it. Once I realized how rare these cars really are, the condition of mine and met the diehards on here, I quickly changed my mind.

Today, I am completely obsessed with my car and the site. This is collectively one of the nicest groups of people to befriend!!! I have VERY limited forum experience as this is the first forum I ever joined. I have read through ever post in every category that has not been erased due to time.

In these readings, you see who has been on here as a regular over the past decade. You can also see the sh*t TON, of people who picked these cars up and proceeded to destroy them. Taking a dash plaque off a numbered car to sell it is BS!!!!, unless its getting crushed! Kids come on, get in over their heads with a 20yr old car, take the dash plaque, sell the car and never return!!!!!! The reason this is coming to light is I am already planning my next VR4 built with far less parts and pure daily intensions. Countless cars are being sold in running condition or shell stripped of the badge. If the car meant so much as to keep the badge and its not going to the crusher, then why the hell are you selling it?!?!?!

One mans garbage is another mans treasure. What you might think is a lost cause(again ROTT like Nate's 255 partout DOES NOT APPLY) may be a restoration that one of other obsessed, slightly deranged individuals like myself may want to tackle. Personally, my next VR4 will WITHOUT A DOUBT still be numbered or I'm not buying!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif That's it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Not sure I agree with you completely. Yes, if I am buying a VR4, I want all that stuff. But being in the opposite position, bringing a car back from the dead, you have a lot of your time/money/sweat etc. in the car.

Maybe pictures or duplicates will suffice, but I know I will want something to remember all of my wasted years by when I finally sell my cars. It will only make your cares more desirable anyways! I guess the key is to at least NEVER throw away a badge or lose a keychain.

Last edited:

jcgalntvr4-244

Word /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone wanna buy a dash plaque i have a few for sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting 381gvr4:

One mans garbage is another mans treasure. What you might think is a lost cause(again ROTT like Nate's 139 partout DOES NOT APPLY) may be a restoration that one of other obsessed, slightly deranged individuals like myself may want to tackle. Personally, my next VR4 will WITHOUT A DOUBT still be numbered or I'm not buying!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif That's it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif

#139/1000 is hanging out safely on my lift getting an engine transplant (again). This is MY car.
#255/2000 is the rotted white 91 I last parted out. dash badge sold
#931/2000 green one I parted out and used everything to built 139. It's crushed. dash badge sold
#828/1000 black car..also parted and squashed. It was totally rebuildable

While 255 was parted and destroyed due to rot, the green and black cars were perfectly rebuildable. Unfortunatly they are worth more in parts, as is every one of these cars. THEY ARENT RARE. They are easy to find. Go on the for sale board, they languish there for months until the owners either part them out or nearly give it away. Or I buy it and part it out and crush it. (I have 3 more GVR4's on my list to buy/part/squash if they don't sell soon).

Even #139, which I consider to be a top 5% car, will eventually be parted out most likely when Im done with it. Unless someone will give me about $8000-$10,000 for it( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif fat chance), then it's worth far more in pieces than to sell whole.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

I've seen a ton of clapped out and beat down Galants that had the dash badge, and a few nice one's that didn't. At the end of the day USDM Galant VR-4's are just quirky old cars that very few appreciate. Maybe you wouldn't buy one because it didn't have the badge but there are plenty that would.

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting 381gvr4:

While 255 was parted and destroyed due to rot, the green and black cars were perfectly rebuildable. Unfortunatly they are worth more in parts, as is every one of these cars. THEY ARENT RARE. They are easy to find. Go on the for sale board, they languish there for months until the owners either part them out or nearly give it away. Or I buy it and part it out and crush it. (I have 3 more GVR4's on my list to buy/part/squash if they don't sell soon).

No offense but there are plenty of dsms you can buy and part and kill yes the vr4 is easy to find now im sure in the near future it will not be the case. its seems to me you only killing them for money why not do this with the dsm? if your simply just doing it for money why not get a job? again no offense it just pisses me off when people only see a dollar sign..

jepherz

Staff member
This world revolves around dollar signs.

I'd say these cars are pretty RARE. However, they just aren't that desirable being that evos are available and vr4's are so old. As we all know, the right combination of supply AND demand will determine their desirability.

NateCrisman

Quoting Jesse_W:

No offense but there are plenty of dsms you can buy and part and kill yes the vr4 is easy to find now im sure in the near future it will not be the case. its seems to me you only killing them for money why not do this with the dsm? if your simply just doing it for money why not get a job? again no offense it just pisses me off when people only see a dollar sign..

#1 DSM's dont have most of the desirable parts, but I do part out DSM's just as much as GVR4's.
#2 noone wants these cars anyway, so who cares. If a car sits on the "for sale" board for 3-4-5-6 months an noone buys it, doesn't that say enough about how much you guys value it?
#3 I'm not only killing them for money...I do get a little tingle of excitement every time I post a new partout out and you guys get all pissed off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Trust me, there's value in that!
#4 This is my job. It's a pretty good job, I make as much parting out a car a month as I did working a normal 9to5. If I worked for an official junkyard, would you be as pissy?

No offence but it pisses me off with the hypocrocy of everyone who bitches and moans about parting out a supposed rare car, but doesn't go out and save the car yourself, and worst of all...BUYS USED PARTS!

Last edited:

381gvr4

Nate, if thats the case, and you could give a damn about the unique VR4, why would you strive to do 10's in a car deemed not that special?? Its the heaviest example of this drive train. Can't really wrap my mind around that?!

"OPINIONS ARE LIKE A$$HOLES! EVERYONE HAS ONE!"

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting 381gvr4:
Nate, if thats the case, and you could give a damn about the unique VR4, why would you strive to do 10's in a car deemed not that special?? Its the heaviest example of this drive train. Can't really wrap my mind around that?!

"OPINIONS ARE LIKE A$$HOLES! EVERYONE HAS ONE!"

I didn't say anywhere I that I don't like the car, don't admire the uniqueness, or appreciate the quirkiness myself. Really, I love #139 and I wouldn't put the effort into it that I have if I didn't enjoy it. I do think it's special, and I wish more people thought they were special enough to actually want to own them. If that were the case, I wouldn't be looking at cars with $4000 of parts for sale on this board with the owners begging for someone to come buy it at $2000. If that were the case, we wouldn't see every car that has a minor problem end up parted out rather than fixed.

I don't set the market. YOU GUYS set the market...and the market says these cars are borderline worthless. #78/1000 for instance....ITS FREE RIGHT NOW. The guy has sold off the performance parts and he can't even give the shell away.

My OPINION of this situation is that many of you guys have this crazy ideal in your heads that if someone like's GVR4's then that person must want to save EVERY SINGLE ONE, even the shitty ones. I have always looked at partouts like organ doners. By parting out the crappy cars and making the better ones even better, the community is served for the best. I would rather there be 300 really exceptional condition awesome GVR4's driving around in 2015 than there be 1500 utter piles of crap missing doglegs, with ripped seats, ratty carpet, and barely running. That's a recipe for all of them to end up in the scrap yard.

In the end...yeah, I love my GVR4 and I can't see myself wanted to be rid of it anytime soon. The best is going to the track and running deep 11's in it and having a big crowd come over trying to figure out WTF it is. That's cool.

But am I going to sit here and pass up opportunity after opportunity to make money and at the same time help service this communities hunger for replacement parts just because I like my car and don't want it's siblings destroyed....HELL NO.

Maybe if I destroy enough of these cars in the next few years I can bring the supply for nice ones down to where Ill someday be able to sell #139 for what I have into it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

If you were close enough and would sell the shells for little more than you would the crusher hell yes id buy them. im not sure it so much as people don't want them as much as it is most people have no ideah what they are and the people that do are to cheap, and the fact you think its funny to kill them and piss people off is pretty shitty some people still think of these as amazing cars.

just my .02

Jesse

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting Jesse_W:

#1 DSM's dont have most of the desirable parts, but I do part out DSM's just as much as GVR4's.
#2 noone wants these cars anyway, so who cares. If a car sits on the "for sale" board for 3-4-5-6 months an noone buys it, doesn't that say enough about how much you guys value it?
#3 I'm not only killing them for money...I do get a little tingle of excitement every time I post a new partout out and you guys get all pissed off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Trust me, there's value in that!
#4 This is my job. It's a pretty good job, I make as much parting out a car a month as I did working a normal 9to5. If I worked for an official junkyard, would you be as pissy?

No offence but it pisses me off with the hypocrocy of everyone who bitches and moans about parting out a supposed rare car, but doesn't go out and save the car yourself, and worst of all...BUYS USED PARTS!

I disagree, I think people like these cars for their late 80's early 90's nostalgic character coupled with 4 door accessability but there are too many hacked up and that scares people away.

Another factor is these are hobby cars now for the most part. What is the percentage of people who are JSB vs those who have a reliable DD? 50/50? Problem is, the parts on these cars are 17 years old. Parts do not last forever and when it compounds it costs a lot to fix it and put it back to original oem reliability. Not to mention hard to find or obsolete parts. Banks don't loan money for that. EVOs are easy to get a hold of and have warranties.

EVOs will be just like dsm's and GVR4's, or worse, in the coming years, used up with no one there to care enough or have enough money to rebuild the car, so they just go buy a new one. Thast how the auto industry works and its how cars increase in value. GVR4's aren't there yet. Keep parting them out and crushing them for all I care, just helps increase the value of mine. Me personally, I would never buy a GVR4 that doesn't have a dash plaque. If the car is beyond repair its understandable but ripping them off a good car that you plan to sell is gay.

381gvr4

This has turned into talking about parting/scrapping. What I'm trying to point out is if you have a structually sound car that needs some love......... ahh forget it

381gvr4

Quoting Jesse_W:
If you were close enough and would sell the shells for little more than you would the crusher hell yes id buy them. im not sure it so much as people don't want them as much as it is most people have no ideah what they are and the people that do are to cheap, and the fact you think its funny to kill them and piss people off is pretty shitty some people still think of these as amazing cars.

just my .02

Jesse

Quoting 3of1000:
.........I think people like these cars for their late 80's early 90's nostalgic character coupled with 4 door accessability but there are too many hacked up and that scares people way..........
........... Keep parting them out and crushing them for all I care, just helps increase the value of mine. Me personally, I would never buy a GVR4 that doesn't have a dash plaque. If the car is beyond repair its understandable but ripping them off a good car that you plan to sell is gay.

WELL SAID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
Nate I have a trailer and am in CT so let me know the next 92 shell you get worth bringing back.

Quoting NateCrisman:

My OPINION of this situation is that many of you guys have this crazy ideal in your heads that if someone like's GVR4's then that person must want to save EVERY SINGLE ONE, even the shitty ones.

Are you kidding here?? I have raised the dead click LOL Barnes!!!
I have worked to bring back cars 4 times as old!!!! What I'm saying is if you have a good car, dont pull the badge when you sell it!!! Thats it!

Last edited:

DR1665

You know, it's kinda funny. I'm a passionate believer in the potential future value of these cars. I hate seeing a good Galant die for any reason, but the badge issue really stands out.

They weren't related to VIN, so they're purely aesthetic. Sure, it's nice to know you've got the original badge there, but I don't see it being the crown jewel of value traits. In fact, when I'm introducing myself on Mitsubishi forums in other countries (which I do regularly to meet new owners for interviews in the magazine), I'm actually embarrassed to mention the badge numbers. These cars were sold for something like FOUR YEARS before we got them and we got de-tuned models with fancy badges stuck to the dash in a Long Beach parking lot.

So yeah, the badge is cool. I love that I have the original badge and keychain for 464/1000, but I yanked the one from 195/2000. I'm keeping it, because when 195 get his, there will be no course of action other than part out. (I plan on bending it.)

The best way to address your frustration over others parting out and irrevocably destroying a GVR4 is to treat yours right and keep it forever.

PS - KBB and all that use data from listings on Autotrader and Ebay to determine value. The more expensive GVR4s listed on those sites, the better the values will trend on the books. Just saying. (Got this info from KBB.)

381gvr4

Quoting DR1665:
but I yanked the one from 195/2000. I'm keeping it, because when 195 get his, there will be no course of action other than part out. (I plan on bending it.)

WAT?!?! Run that by me again???

Stick to the script! No one is saying dont part these car!!!! Dont part the badge from the car and sell it. Jeff said he's keeping his which shocks me. Its not like it will tell the stories of the hard work and B/S/T! Let it stay with a nice example.

As far as future value.... I have heard countless stories of muscle cars passed up in the 80's for dirt cheap. Fully restored examples going for $100k+ in recent years. Do I own this for future value?? f*** NO!!! I find it cool and know that cars are a depreciating asset!

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting Jesse_W:

just my .02

Jesse

I offered to GIVE #931 to anyone that wanted it. It sat behind my shop after I pulled the drivetrain from may until december, and still had carpet, most interior plastics, all the door panels, dog legs, fender moldings, and both bumpers and hood. It was in pretty ratty shape with peeling paint and 42+ dings/dents. Not a single person called or expressed interest in taking it to rebuild. I bought the car with intent on restoring it since it was straight and rust free, and mechanically sound. But after taking it to two body shops and getting $2000+ estimates for body work and paint, I started looking for a better shell. I bought #139 for $1500 and it came with lots of good parts (4bolt rear, 5lug hubs, AGX's and coilovers, battery relocation, SS brake lines). How stupid would you have to be to spend $2000 on body work on a 200k mile chassis vs buying a $1500 mint shell and swapping the drivetrain? I actually turned a profit for the effort, I sold more than $1500 out between the two cars and came out with a stellar example of a GVR4. It cost me NOTHING but effort. I'm all about rebuilding.

I assume no one wanted the beat up shell to rebuild was that there were plenty of nicer shells available in my area for nearly free as well....why start with a beat up 200k mile old shell. I had three different VR4 shells to choose from within 3 hours of my house at the time I bought 139. And 139 had been for sale for months with no takers and no interest. The guy I bought it from was seriously ready to start parting out the body/interior since he had no takers on the whole car. And THAT is where the real tragedy would have occured....that a mint body, nearly perfect paint low mileage GVR4 would get taken apart. (while people still drive around ratty POS galants).

Yes...the problem is that people don't know what GVR4's are and the people that do know what they are are too cheap. It also doesn't help that our community doesn't recruit new members as fast as old members move on to nicer/newer cars (evo). I would give an honest guess that a vast vast majority of GVR4 enthusiasts already own one and aren't interested in owning another, BUT are very interested in upgrading and maintaining the one they already own. Hence the strong demand for part out pieces and no demand for whole cars.

I THINK THESE ARE AMAZING CARS! I love mine. And feel I support the community by supplying parts to make the amazing ones even better. I really really disagree with you that by parting them out Im hurting the community. Without a source for inexpensive used parts, nearly every one of these 18 year old cars would be in the scrap heap sooner. By parting out the least desirable cars, it allows the better ones to live a longer life and be faster, more reliable, more complete, and worth more in the long run.

So, Ill have another GVR4 shell in maybe 3 or 4 weeks...I'll expect to see you with $100 in hand to save it from the crusher after Im done "restocking inventory"

Back to original topic. Yeah, I can agree with OP about not removing the badge as a keepsake when selling a car whole. It would be nice if we could really keep better track of which car is which in history by it's badge #.

Last edited:

streetmasters

I say Keep On Crushing! I makes mine worth more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Plus, from recent experience, its true- why save a rust box when you can make someone elses car much nicer and cleaner- believe me, if someone hits your car and you are looking for a door or a bumper and a board member is selling a shell that no one wants, you will probably beg that member to part out the car- not promote saving the car for the sake of rarity. but thats just my 2 pennies.

Last edited:

for me its not about being cheap. its the fact that im on unemployment and i had to move into my brothers basement. ive spent every cent i have on 1036 and i got it running and driving in less than two months. it was only jsb for two days. it has some issues but shes worth saving. i did alot of research before i deemed 1036 worthy of fixing and if i hadnt picked her up she would have been scrap. now if i was in a situation where i had multiple gvr4's or had the option of buying them i would definitely weed out the less desirable ones. also i bought my car with the dash badge and it will never get removed but if it werent there i would have still bought the car. i just want to fix some kids f***-ups and have a nice rare car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts