The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 crunch

NateCrisman

NateCrisman

Quoting jepherz:
Damn, I could have used that back window!

There will be more soon, but Im sure shipping glass from NJ to IL is going to be a couple bills!

NateCrisman

BTW, it was 1260lb. It had these junk parts tossed inside:
carpet
front subframe with steering rack and tie rod ends
the three straight "bolt on" front sub frame members
one broken 4 bolt axle
one broken drivers front axle with jack shaft

exterior wise it still had 4 doors with glass and window motors, the trunk lifting arms, 2 fenders
still had all the factory glass (sunroof was removed)

At 4 cents a lb for steel, it was worth $51.

Next time I take a DSM in comparable "gutted-ness" for scrap, Ill be sure to note the weight for interesting comparason.

Last edited:

Muskrat

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Always sad to see one go to the big dirt road in the sky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Interesting side note, I found this.

Watch out for those junk yard motors!

ApexHunter

^That thing is a monster. It's like watching national geographic or something where the predator rips out its prey's entrails.

Here is another little gadget from the same company. Mmmmm Dodge Daytona nom nom nom

DR1665

Quoting NateCrisman:

Next time I take a DSM in comparable "gutted-ness" for scrap, Ill be sure to note the weight for interesting comparason.

7 months ago, I got $161 for a decent 1G. Engine/drivetrain were removed. Full interior. We couldn't give the thing away.

click

Check out the comments I got. You'll get them soon enough.

Polish

I love people who make comments like that. It's the same people who will offer to *buy* your shell for $30...

IIRC this was the badly rusted GVR4 shell, it served it's purpose and had no hope left. They can't all last forever.

NateCrisman

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting NateCrisman:

7 months ago, I got $161 for a decent 1G. Engine/drivetrain were removed. Full interior. We couldn't give the thing away.

click

Check out the comments I got. You'll get them soon enough.

After I pulled the drivetrain and modifications off this green GVR4 (931/2000) I offered it up for free! It had zero rust and was straight, but the body cosmetically was very bad. noone wanted it. Not a single personal contacted me asking info about it or saying they would take it. FREE GVR4..noone wanted it.

Even the people bitching about how rare these cars are and every one of them deserves to be saved. yeah, hypocrites! noone would even come take it for free.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap about rarity, and Im planning to buy and partout more GVR4s so long as it stays profitable and I need parts for my own projects.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, that shell was trash with all that rust. It's gone to a better home with all its scrap brethren.

The car shown in the original topic link on youtube is #931/2000 a green 91. I bought it last november from Rich Clemente as a daily driver. Quasimondo sold it to Rich. I wanted a really really nice VR4 and it was cheaper to buy a really nice shell and make one good car vs paying a couple grand in bodywork and paint to fix the old shell....not to mention TMU title and 200k miles. (#139/1000 I swapped into has mint paint, 86k miles, and a good title) I actually turned a profit doing the swap as I sold more duplicate parts than I paid for #139 shell.

The rusty one from Rochester NY was #255/2000 a White 91. That one was utterly destroyed by rust. I don't have video of it getting squashed by the claw on 12/29/09, but I do have a few pics I took of the rust issue when it was in my shop.
750340840_4WmUY-M.jpg
750341048_KAfr4-M.jpg

750340928_RD8dy-M.jpg
750347159_XwTaK-M.jpg

750347070_QQgUk-M.jpg
750347287_aGzhJ-M.jpg

I was pulling on the engine harness while still attached and was able to easily pull loose about 2 square feet of the firewall...big enough hole that I could kneel on the passenger side floor and put my head into the engine compartement through a giant rotted hole int he firewall. (I sat in pass floor and easily kicked my foot right through the firewall) Pass front fenderwell was also completely rotted. If I spend 15 minutes with a BFH, I could have knocked the whole shock tower away from the firewall and broke the front end completely off. That's pretty much what happened when the claw crunched into the pass front door: the front of the car broke off!

That white one was completely unsafe to drive on the street. It was one pothole away from a complete steering/suspension failure. sh*t, the floor was so rotted, I wouldn't be suprised if a heavy person sitting in pass seat broke through the floor if suspension bottomed out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Damn that is the worst rust I have ever seen in a gvr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jepherz

Staff member
HOLY CRAP! That's the definition of rusted out.... How was anyone even driving that thing!?!?

NateCrisman

It seems the thing that killed that GVR4 was the windshield was replaced and it wasn't sealed up right, which allowed water to run down the inside of the A pillar. So the carpet on the pass side was perpetually wet and that held moisture against all the sheetmetal on the floor and firewall area. I had originally thought "oh, it's an upstate NY car, snow and salt did it"...which is what rotted the lower frame rails under the side skirts and all the undercarriage was nasty. But the real killer was the rotted frame/floor/firewall which isn't a salt issue...it was a windshield glass leak! This could have been a deep south car just as easily rotted the same way from a water leak.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned