The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT Disk in non-ACT PP

CarRacer

I tried to install an ACT street disk in my car this weekend using a pressure plate from an Advance Auto parts clutch kit. My Fidanza pp was too f'ed up too reuse and the holidays made it hard to locate parts in my timeframe. After install the clutch would not disengage, so I had to remove the trans again. It turns out the clutch sprung hub was rubbing on the pressure plate fingers when it tried to release. The ACT hub, which I assume is the updated version, appears to be a 1/4" thicker than the Advance disk hub. I've never read about this issue before but I assume that most use the entire ACT assembly.

belize1334

I was told by an ACT rep that you could not pair an older style ACT pp w/ the newer style disk because the newer disk has larger springs and the pp had to be redesigned to accommodate them. I presume that this info carries over to nearly any OE replacement style pp and that it should be assumed that ACT disks are not compatible w/ other manufacturer's pp designs.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I used a new ACT disk (with the big yellow springs) with a CenterForce DFX pressure plate. No issues.

belize1334

I'm sure that there are disks that will work but I think that unless otherwise indicated you should assume that they won't. I would suggest, however, that we start a thread listing known_to_work clutch combos as that would be some useful info.

edit I started a thread to this affect so we'll see if it picks up steam.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts