The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Would this manifold setup interfer with the IC piping?

Boostdtalon

I have the possibility of purchasing a GT3076 for cheap from a friend and was looking at possible setups for it. Now i have seen the reviews they have on dsmtalk and tuners about this kit and how well it works for DSM's and i am interested in maybe purchasing it in the near future. Do you guys think this would kits setup of the external wastegate would interfer with the IC piping? I think it would be close, but i wanted ya'lls opinion on this.

ERL T3 manifold

JNR

Would the wastegate even be very effective like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know it'll 'work', but for good control and such. Also, seems like you'd be bringing a heat source closer to your IC piping.

Depends on how your IC piping is, I suppose. Mine sort of angles toward the radiator core support (front) and doesn't go over the middle of the manifold, so it would probably work on mine, as far as clearance and imagine most are setup this way.

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

Well the wastegate would be effective as it would be central to the runners. My concerns would be like you said the heat transfer from the wastegate setup to the IC piping or even possible physical contact between the two.

JNR

I know what you're saying, but if you think abut when the gate valve is open, it just seems a hard path for the gasses to follow up and around, while letting excess gasses spend the turbine (turbo). But, that may be overthinking it. I would think the ideal location would be right at/after the primary collector, coming off in a 90 or so. But, we just don't have the room, unless it were a totally custom manifold (i.e. runners coming up, then down, collector higher up).

turbowop

It isn't so much that the gases have to follow a difficult path. The pressure is already in there, so releasing it is what controls boost. It would work just fine re: wastegate/boost-control.

Muskrat

^+1 the path is still less restrictive than going through the turbine and your exhaust system. Exhaust will follow path of least resistance.

JNR

True...I'm talking more of a part throttle condition though, where you're releasing some of the gas, but still allowing the remainder to pass to the wheel; just seems to not be 100% accurate that way, but again, this is overthinking it...Remember, it's not just pressure relief, but velocity occuring still, too (unlike the role of the blowoff valve)I'll be running my external off the turbo (on the o2 housing flange) and if it works there, should work here, too. Just not the 'perfect' setup.

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

Yeah i was considering the under path especially since my car already has a radiator other than stock (neon) and i was considering going with a honda 1/2 setup. I looked at the ETS website and the GVR-4 on there pics has a under setup. so i guess going that route would allow use of the ERL kit and no interference with the IC piping.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts