The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

mad ground clearance

turbowop

I got a set of GGSX wheels for my snow tires from Brian since I can't stand the '92 wheels and while I had them off to get mounted I raised up the car another inch or so. It sits pretty high now and clears the 205/70r15's with ease. Should be great this winter.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

944af4b6e76b9e0.jpg

944af4b6e7a699c.jpg

Polish

Rally jump videos stat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

turbowop

They were pretty dingy so I went and hit the carwash to cleanz them up. The look a little cleaner and nicer now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

944af4c556608bd.jpg

944af4c55694720.jpg

atc250r

Staff member
Do you get it aligned to compensate for the changes in toe and camber when you alter the ride height?

atc250r

Staff member
Just didn't want you to ruin your nice tires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

656of1000

The ride height looks so... stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like it!

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting atc250r:
Just didn't want you to ruin your nice tires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My $50 craigslist snowtires? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting 656of1000:
The ride height looks so... stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like it!

I think it's a little higher than stock actually. It looks like stock clearance by looking at the fender to tire clearance, but those tires are 2" bigger in overall diameter than stock. It's a little more obvious in person but you can really tell when you get into the car.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I know you got them cheap but you've put the money into having them mounted and balanced, I figured you'd like to get more than a couple of months out of them.

turbowop

The toe is still within spec as well as camber. Raising or lowering the car an inch from stock doesn't change things enough to warrant a full alignment. Even dumping a car as far as possible usually only requires a camber change in the back to get it within spec again. If I raised the car 3" I might be more inclined to get it aligned.

atc250r

Staff member
Like I said, I was just looking out for you. It seems you've taken offense to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

turbowop

What? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'm not offended. I'm just explaining why I think an alignment is unnecessary which may help others looking to do the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Polish

Quoting turbowop:
The toe is still within spec as well as camber.

Do you have a gauge toe/camber gauge setup or are you just eye balling it?

I know on my Honda (Yea, yea not a GVR4 but it still has tie rods) when I lowered the front 1.X" it gained a CRAP LOAD of toe out and the tie rods were not adjusted at all. Obviously it depends which angle the tie rods are at on the specific car but mine must have angled down towards the wheels from the factory which effectively makes them shorter. Then when I lowered the car they are now more level thus pushing the rear of the wheel out a fairly significant amount due to them being effectively longer even without adjustment. Once lowered it was extremely obvious even with the naked eye that the wheels were toed out a bunch. It took me a bit to figure out why but after discussing with some other people more knowledgeable on the subject it made sense. I know you're set in your ways and don't want to argue but I just wanted to share this so others aren't under the false impression alignments (or just getting the Toe set as I think it's most important for safety and tire life) aren't necessary after suspension adjustments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

I don't have a toe/camber gauge. Just from having GVR4's at various heights over the past 11 years is what I base my conclusions from. I've raised/lowered cars similar amounts in the past and then went to get an alignment only to have the tech tell me everything is still within spec. If you're dumping the car from stock height 2.5" this is different obviously.

Did your Honda use the MacPherson strut type front suspension, or a double wishbone a-arm setup? Different suspension setups do different things when lowering a car. A double wishbone setup might give more camber when it's compressed, effectively increasing toe-in. Anybody that's cambered in the front of our cars knows the toe angle changes like mad when you add some negative camber, requiring a realignment. Lowering a strut suspended car like ours, however, doesn't really change the camber angle when the suspension is compressed so the only change is due to the angle of the tie rod changing, which isn't much.

Polish

frontassemblydh8.jpg

Sorry to chutter with a dumb Honda pic but I yanked it off Google. I am pretty sure it's the same type setup as a GVR4 with MacPherson struts, at least to me it appears so but I'm not a suspension expert. So I wanted to include a pic.

And also good explanation, it could have just been a freak thing with my car as I didn't expect it to change as much as it did. Well that or the car actually got dropped a lot more than the springs were advertised at, I never even measured to be honest. There is a noticeable amount of negative camber up front now as well so that isn't helping things, nor is the fact it's not adjustable unless you buy camber bolts.

Anyway, I'll quit chuttering up your thread up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Weird. That definitely looks like a regular strut setup like ours. I don't know why your toe angle would change so much, unless it lowered it over 2" or more.

I don't mind the discussion. This beats 90% of the sh*t that gets asked in the n00b section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

464/2K

Wop just get that monster truck aligned. Save your self the hastle of wearing your tires. Might as well keep them for next season too. Even if you get told it's within spec, you know for next year...... So it will total what? $150 for snow tires. Seams rediculouse to not.

Muskrat

It's really easy to get an estimate of toe and camber if you know trigonometry.basically measure two point on the tire (front and back for toe, up and down for camber) based on a reference and you can construct a triangle and figure out what the angle is.

If you're really concerned just measure it and you'll know.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts