The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 - CF hood & Nitrous install

NateCrisman

#139 got two new mods today:

CF hood that came off #255/2000. No vents (and no rain water rusting up my turbo & manifold!). The fit is ok, but the curve on the front edge is too tight and doesn't match the angle of the fenders by the headlights. Oh well, it fits good enough. Uses stock latch, but Im going to put hoodpins on soon since the hood was already cut for them. It had some cloudy haze which 20min with a buffer & polishing compound took right off. It could use a little more cleaning/polishing work and a coat of wax, but Im happy.

The oem steel hood was just over 40lb. This CF hood with FG underside brace was 23.5lb. So it saved about 17lb.

702736753_fg6tK-L.jpg

702737235_grgAa-L.jpg

Next mod was a single fogger NOS nitrous kit. Just have jets for a 50hp shot at 30psi fuel pressure (.037/.022). I'll have to back the fuel pressure off as I currently run about 48psi base which will make this run "stupid rich". Next year I'll jump the jetting up in the 100-125 range. The kit with a full bottle is about 28lb, which more than sunk the weightloss from the hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

It should make 5-6mph more with the nitrous on, which would put me in the 128-130mph range. More than enough to go in the mid 10's if I can keep up the low 1.5 to high 1.4 60' times without breaking the driveline again.

I got the mechaincal part of the installation done tonight:

[*]Bottle brackets mounted in trunk
[*]-4 feed line ran through interior
[*] Solenoids tested and mounted to firewall
[*] Upper ic pipe drilled and tapped for 1/16-27 NTP
[*] Fogger nozzle threaded on, all SS hoses and fittings are tight. (jetting checked 3 times due to OCD)
[/list]

Tomorrow I need to do the electrical half of the install which consists of wiring up a solenoid relay, a throttle microswitch, a main arming switch in the interior. I also have a bottle heater that needs to be hooked up, which is a simple relay & thermo-switch and I can pull the 12V from the fuel pump rewire. I also have a purge kit, but Ill likely save that for next year as Im going to remove all but the hoses during winter for daily driving after one trip to the track.

Bottle mounted in the trunk on passenger side. -10 SS vent hose that goes outside through floor in the event the bottle gets over pressure and blows out the burst disk. -4 SS feed line to the NOS solenoid. There's an electric heater under the blanket, which is a must for fall/spring use to keep the pressure consistent at ~900-1000psi.
702738307_prUBm-L.jpg

Pics of the solenoids, fogger placement, and hose connections. The tuning jets are in between the fogger nozzle and the -3 SS hoses. Two wrenches are all it takes to change jets, going from as low as 25hp to as high as 150hp hit. Easy to get greedy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
702738817_HaNgR-L.jpg

702739382_puYkv-L.jpg

Tapped the fuel supply into the -6 line going between the fuel rail and the aeromotive regulator using a -6 pressure gauge port adapter that I had laying around. Fuel line from there to solenoid is -4 SS.
702740010_HsWYd-L.jpg

I also picked up a Buschur 1gawd SS 3.5" complete exhaust. Basically brand new, still has the UPS label on it. One day next week Ill get the car up on the lift and see where it needs to be lengthened to fit GVR4. I'll bet the muffler is going to need to be rewelded too as it sits on an angle on a DSM and likely won't line up with the bumper shape for the muffler.

Here's my current engine bay:
702740655_YnUh5-XL.jpg

Going to make one more attempt to see 10's this sunday before the car goes into winter daily driver mode. Wish me luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Looks good Nate. Your hood looks to be a carbon creations witch is the same as I have. You for sure want to put hood pins in. Ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Just like yours the fit is ok. My hood does the same thing by the drivers side head light. I can live with it to get rid of some weight.

You still heading to the track one more time this year? I wish I could but tracks are closed for the winter over here now.

RedTwo

When I read NOS I was expecting to see some neons too, as is the customary according to the racing documentary 'The Fast & The Furious" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif :rolf:
Would have been awesome to run 10s without out the laughing gas, oh well. Roll on the 10's!

Quote:
No vents (and no rain water rusting up my turbo & manifold!).

I don't understand this comment. You don't need a vented hood for rust to form on your various prone engine parts.

Good luck in your quest for a 10 sec slip.

NateCrisman

Quoting RedTwo:
When I read NOS I was expecting to see some neons too, as is the customary according to the racing documentary 'The Fast & The Furious" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif :rolf:
Would have been awesome to run 10s without out the laughing gas, oh well. Roll on the 10's!

Neon lights is for wanabe fags, just like chrome dual nitrous bottles, and purge kits, and intercooler sprayers. (personally I put JDM bumpers, anything AMG in the same boat as neon lights) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Nitrous kits are for real performance guys who want to go fast. It's no different than if I took off the 50trim and bolted a 35R on there and ran the same time. Oxygen is oxygen, makes no difference where it comes from. Actually slapping on a bigger turbo would be significantly easier and in my mind "cheating".

It most likely can run a 10 without it anyway, I'v only got 6 runs on the slicks and broke an axle on the best launch yet. Plus the car has/had boost control issues and air temp issues both of which I think I should have improved since last time out. It's far for completely sorted out and perfectly efficient, the car could likely be tuned/driven to a 10.8 @ 125 or even better without nitrous with just practice and time.

Unfortunatly, Im out of time for 2009 and going as fast as I can trumps "with or without" nitrous claims. I want a 10 second pass in any way and have one more chance to do it, Im not leaving anything on the table.

Nitrous is also pretty much manditory for next year, as Im going to put an automatic awd trans in. N20 allows you to effectively adjust the stall of the converter, and unless you have matched the converter to the engine powerband just right, most likely your going to need to spray it on the line to get the car to 60'.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting 3of1000:

I don't understand this comment. You don't need a vented hood for rust to form on your various prone engine parts.

Good luck in your quest for a 10 sec slip.

The hood that came on #139 had fiberglass JDM vents cut in, but nothing to route water. On wet days if you open the hood, the turbo & manifold would be soaked and the spark plug well full of water. So driving the car in the rain, every time you came to a stop or hit the brakes, but pluffs of steam came out the hood. It was annoying and the engine being soaked in water every other day is a good way to end up with rusty bolts, especially on the turbo area.

I'm happy to have a non-vented hood is all.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting Brianawd:
Looks good Nate. Your hood looks to be a carbon creations witch is the same as I have. You for sure want to put hood pins in. Ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Just like yours the fit is ok. My hood does the same thing by the drivers side head light. I can live with it to get rid of some weight.

You still heading to the track one more time this year? I wish I could but tracks are closed for the winter over here now.

If you think it isn't safe, Ill take it off before going to the track on sunday. The hood was cut for pins, had the latches on the hood, but the pins are MIA. I suppose i could find a set of walmart/autozone pins to get me by for now. Yeah...function trumps form. The hood might not be perfect and has some blemishes, but 17lb is 17lb and Im not running a show car here.

Going to the track this sunday. I changed boost controller vac source, made that 4" cold air intake, starting with the best racegas tune from last time....it would go faster regardless of the nitrous. But with the nitrous, Im pretty confident.

JSchleim18

Are you going to try a few runs without nitrous to see if you can hit that 10 sec time without it?

I'm confident you'll hit the 10's. Now it's time to get some more pictures for the calendar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

NateCrisman

Quoting JSchleim18:
Are you going to try a few runs without nitrous to see if you can hit that 10 sec time without it?

most likely no. If the nitrous tuning is going well and the car is going fast, why would I want to stop trying to run faster ET. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to run slower. Only way I'll run the car slower is if I am forced to by either the track due to lack of rollbar or a malfunction of the nitrous kit. I might never make a non nitrous pass again ever if I had my choice.

onesickcrx

I would make first pass nitrous free then you have a base to see if what you did fixed boost issues and see how she is running. From there on spray away bring bigger jets with you just in case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

NateCrisman

Yeah I'll make one pass without first to get a feel for track conditions, set boost, check af ratio. But those first passes are never good and I'm not going to waste runs chasing a 10.99@124 perfect pass off bottle when I could be using those runs chasing a 10.5@130

Brianawd

If you don't have pins its not a good idea. I lost my first hood do to the fact it opened up on a 2nd and 3rd gear pull. Slammed the roof and broke the hood and also put a nice dent on the roof of the car. The hood just has to much flex in it for the latch to hold it down.

Just don't want to see the same thing happen to you.

JSchleim18

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting JSchleim18:

most likely no. If the nitrous tuning is going well and the car is going fast, why would I want to stop trying to run faster ET. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to run slower. Only way I'll run the car slower is if I am forced to by either the track due to lack of rollbar or a malfunction of the nitrous kit. I might never make a non nitrous pass again ever if I had my choice.

It's not a question of running slower...it was more for the sake of saying you ran 10's without nitrous. I don't know I thought that's what you were trying to go for initially /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif?

Whatever though have fun either way

NateCrisman

I don't distinguish between either. Faste is faster. I'd rather run 10.95 with nitrous than 10.99 without. The end goal is the beat et I can muster within the limitations I have (budget-time-ability)

2of9

car looks great! good luck on the mid 10s. Great to see a car like this as a DD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Keep us updated!

GreenGSX

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting Brianawd:

If you think it isn't safe, Ill take it off before going to the track on sunday. The hood was cut for pins, had the latches on the hood, but the pins are MIA. I suppose i could find a set of walmart/autozone pins to get me by for now. Yeah...function trumps form. The hood might not be perfect and has some blemishes, but 17lb is 17lb and Im not running a show car here.

Going to the track this sunday. I changed boost controller vac source, made that 4" cold air intake, starting with the best racegas tune from last time....it would go faster regardless of the nitrous. But with the nitrous, Im pretty confident.

The pins are in my tool box. I forgot to give them to you when you picked up the car. I could send them to you if you like but there isn't anything special about them and it would be a lot quicker to just pick up a set at a local parts store.

NateCrisman

Ok guys, so I in spectacular fail fashion: Shattered my windshield, put a ding in my roof, and beat up the CF hood. I pulled the car out of the garage after finishing the nitrous relay, pushed the hood down and felt the latch click. The engine was running really really rich and stumbling, so I figured Id just nurse it up the road for 1/2 mile or so to warm it up and see if I actually had a real issue. I got no further than 50ft out of my driveway and the hood blew up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I was at maybe 2500rpm in 2nd gear.

I don't even know what to do: laugh at the irony of all the talk of hood pins and the hood flying up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif or be pissed at myself for putting a ding in the roof of a mint body and now need to spend a couple hundred on new glass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The thing Im most pissed off about is that now I can't run on sunday without a new windshield. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

so I nurse it home on what feels like 2 cyl, pull plugs, 4 plugs are totally wet with fuel and black. I pull off the -3 fuel line to the nos nozzle, it's completely dry so I know the fuel solenoid wasn't leaking or stuck open. I'll stick a new set of plug in it, bring palm logger to the garage tonight to see if something oddball is causing the "stupid rich" condition that fouled all the plugs. Maybe coolant temp sensor broke. I couldn't even keep it running long enough to get it to idle to where I could get out of the car, check fuel pressure gauge or diagnose anything. CEL is on, but that often comes on for o2 sensor when the car is started before the wideband is warmed up.

So today has not been such a good day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

EDIT: looks like Diamond Auto Glass is going to be $288 installed for the windshield. They can do it tomorrow at my place, so I can salvage the weekend if I can come up with $ three bills to get it done. GUYS-->hit up my partout threads.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts