The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'90 TSI on Craigslist ... Worth it?

belize1334

Here's a link to the Craigslist post.

Cliff-Notes...

170k '90 Tsi w/ bad rod-knock for: $650.
Cost of transport from Great Falls to Bozeman (400 miles round trip): $150
Total expense: $800

The car:
Fidanza FW w/ Exedy Clutch
Recently (500mi) rebuild engine w/ spun rod bearing
Typical high-mileage transmission
Typical high-mileage paint (fading / pealing a little)
Rebuilt head w/ Ti retainers and Crower springs
ARP everything
3-G lifters
510cc injectors
GT manifold

Non-listed stuff that is probably of value:
'90 OFH w/ cooler and lines
5-bolt conversion
Rear Diff (IIRC these had a 3-bolt but may or may not be LSD?)
Misc. chassis stuff

So, the question is...is there say $1,500 of value here? That'd make it worth my time.

Id say there's 1500 if not a bit less listed. I mean you can always lowball him a 100 less too and see what he says. But selling everything, the rods, the pistons, the trans ,the head blah blah. Might be worth it given the time and the place.

belize1334

I'm thinking I'd actually keep the long-block and 90 OFH for my GVR-4 but I'd still consider that in the value (i.e. sell those parts to myself on the balance sheet). The rear-diff is 3-bolt LSD (confirmed) so I'd probably sell that. Rear subframes etc. have value but nobody is gonna pay shipping on them from Montana.

Main problem is that I'd have to spend a day going to pick it up and I'd have to absorb the cost for the next two months till I have the time to deal with it. Of course it might be moot if he sells it to someone more local which would be simpler for him. On the other hand. I could just drive out there for the day...pick the bones clean, and then haul it to the local wrecking yard and drive home w/ the parts in the back of the truck. It'd be a shame though to just write the car off w/o even looking at it. So much awesome in that '90 Tsi body style. Gr...indecision is killing me.

Last edited:

Yeah I totally see where your coming from. If you do end up picking it up in the next week, I would take the coolant lines for the turbo along with the banjos and copper washers. I think there would be enough interest between this site and some DSM sites if you posted it else where also.

5 bolt conversion? They all were 5 lug are you saying it comes with spare 5 lug parts?

NateCrisman

He's saying he'll take the 5lug hubs off the car, save the engine for his car, throw the shell in the scrap heap. Crushed shell's don't need hubs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

324vr4

Dude...I'll help you anyway I can...lemme' know...I "need" some parts from it too so perhaps a deal can be worked out...BANZAI!!!

belize1334

Quoting NateCrisman:
He's saying he'll take the 5lug hubs off the car, save the engine for his car, throw the shell in the scrap heap. Crushed shell's don't need hubs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Exactly...
What's your take on this Nate? You've got more experience in part-outs than most of us. Does the profit margin seem reasonable?

NateCrisman

It doesn't have much for aftermarket parts, but then again $650 is freaking cheap.

Put it this way:
5lug swap...you can get $100 for that
good trans $350
Xcase $75
rear $50
head $200-$300 since it's rebuilt and got aftermarket parts
the clutch & flywheel: $250 or so easy.

you already made a profit on 5 parts.

One thing I will say: it takes the same amount of work/labor to dissassemble, inventory & clean parts, take pics, make ads, deal with emails, deal with shipping no matter what. I buy parts car that I KNOW will double my investment or more. Buying a $650 car to make $650 is the same amount of work as you would put into buying a $6500 super highly modified DSM and parting it out to make $5000+ profit. Plus the big $ performance parts are quite a bit easier to advertise and sell than $5 and $10 stock parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts