The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Moving car around w/o reard diff bolted up

89coltgt

Is it safe to roll the awd cars around without the rear diff bolted to the subframe or will this damage the subframe? Only reason I ask is, years ago I remember parting a car that had the rear diff removed and it seemed to have allowed the subframe to flex around and sit funny when it was sitting with weight on it.

JNR

I dont think the diff housing is intended to be a structural member, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to place weight on an extended arm, for instance...Maybe make a quickie wooden dolly or something?

H05TYL

er, the diff housing joins the rear subframe with the rear cross brace, without it the subframe is only located by the front two mounts, so clearly it is a structural member.

Without the diff housing the subframe will pivot upwards until it hits the floor of the car at it's rearmost point, which is less than ideal.

JNR

Quoting H05TYL:
er, the diff housing joins the rear subframe with the rear cross brace, without it the subframe is only located by the front two mounts, so clearly it is a structural member.

Without the diff housing the subframe will pivot upwards until it hits the floor of the car at it's rearmost point, which is less than ideal.

I'm talking about for moving it around, which is what the orignal post was. Yuo would have to build something (like with wood) to accept the points at the frame and not put pressure on the 'dangling pieces'...

mods have delete buttons to cover their tracks, no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned