The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear pads for track days?

jepherz

Staff member
I'm needing to throw on some new metallic compound rear brakes for a track event in a few weeks. What is everyone using that fits the bill for the rear calipers? Where did you buy them? Worst case scenario I guess I'll just pick up some semi-metallic pads from the local parts store...

GreenGSX

You can always just use a set of cheap organic rear pads and get through the event. The rears aren't doing much to help braking anyway. I've run them in the past and they would last two days or 8 20-25 minute sessons. I have since switched to Axxis semi-metallic rear pads I got on closeout at RockAuto for $2.50/set. I think I bought half a dozen sets at that price. With the Axxis pads I normally go through two sets a season.

You can find them at RockAuto for under $13/set.

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0821446

jepherz

Staff member
That's what I was leaning towards. Organic are pretty worthless, right? semi metallic should be a much more robust pad?

GreenGSX

Worthless depending on your perspective. They stop the car and the rears do so little you most likely won't notice the difference in stopping power. The organics just can't take the heat. Once they get hot the pads dissapear quickly. They also are super easy on the rotors. The semi's easily last twice as long but they wear the rotor a little more. I have yet to kill a rear rotor due to heat or time on track so I go with what lasts. Now if your calipers are sticky you can toss all of this out the window as no rear pad is going to last a full day (4 lapping sessions) dragging around the track. I always inspect, clean, and normally turn in the pistons to make sure they won't drag before every track day.

Don't forget some sort of front brake cooling ducts..

Last edited:

I use Axxis pads in the rear of the car for track days. FWIW the Stoptech calipers in the front come loaded with Axxis pads.

Daryl

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, I meant worthless in terms of falling apart under the high heat. I don't have brake cooling ducts yet, but so far haven't had any problems. Thanks for the replies.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned