The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Grease

vapid

What grease are you guys running in the lobro joint or other drivetrain related parts? Anything special?

prove_it

I used mobil1 wheel bearing grease once. It seemed to work good.

vapid

I used Mobil 1 on a couple of things recently, and it seems to be separating and the 'watery' part is just leaking out. Which is kind of why I asked this question.

Almost every bearing grease will do the same thing unless it is constantly churned. Soon as it sits for a while, it seperates.

prove_it

You might be able to get your hands on some CV boot grease. If you buy a boot kit it should come with a pack of grease. That stuff is meant to be used in that sytle of joint, could work better.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting prove_it:
You might be able to get your hands on some CV boot grease. If you buy a boot kit it should come with a pack of grease. That stuff is meant to be used in that sytle of joint, could work better.

^^^Good call, and very good advice!

For traditional applications, it's the way to go. Prepackaged with the correct quantity of a grease suitable for the apllication.

However, if you run a lot at higher speeds, what you're looking for is a product called Redline Cv 2

Chassis style greases are not a very good match for the speed/loading a c.v. "sees". While they generally have a moly additive package, and will handle the loading well, their drop point (temp where it runs away from the loading is much too low)

Traditional lithium driveline greases are getting harder to find. In addition they are really more suited to u-joint service, where centrifigual force keeps the grease in the area of the load.

Mixing greases with different bases is bad juju, so be sure to clean the joint thoroughly before regreasing.

Redline CV2 is specifically engineered for this application and has served me well for many years of high speed motoring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

Barnes

Now the hardest question to answer. How much grease should you use? I still haven't found a clear answer to this one.

prove_it

I've always just packed it full. Could be wrong, but I feel that if you pack it then it's harder for the grease to become contaminated. Plus it insures that all pieces are covered.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting BarnesMobile:
Now the hardest question to answer. How much grease should you use? I still haven't found a clear answer to this one.

Good question, Jon!

A c.v joint places some rather specific demands on the lubricant, and one of those is about the effects rotation places on the lubricant. At normal highway speeds, just about any grade in any quantity will do.

However, Sustained high speeds will allow the grease to creep away from the load.

Grease is very viscous by nature, but under high heat and centrifugal force it will "flow" and end up in the the bellows of the boot.

Grease won't do sh*t if it's not where the loading is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grease that has migrated away from the joint will also cause the c.v. boots to ballon at higher speeds.

This overexpansion will cause the accordian section of the boot to assume all different manner of interesting shapes at speed.

This will shorten their service life considerably as they flex in the valleys of the accordian sections and the outer sections of the bellows rub on each other.

The very outer bellows will feed it back into the joint, but any exccess grease that's in the inner bellows of the boot doesn't do much good.

In actual fact, it will shorten the service life of the boot considerably as it will resist allowing the bellows to flex, and will add to the load they "see".

One final word on the subject, the factory gives a spec for how much lubricant to use.

Following that guidleine will ensure the longest possible service life for the joint and the boot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

vapid

Thanks for the input. I'm going to get some of the CV2.

prove_it

Go toybreaker, I never ever put that much thought into the physics of the cv boots while driving.

Now how does that apply to the lobo joint?

Barnes

Quote:
the factory gives a spec for how much lubricant to use.

Ahh, I did not know that.

My question stemmed from a conversation I had with an engineer friend. He works at the Columbia Generating Station (Nuclear power plant) here. I guess they had a guest lecture guy come and talk about motors, bearings, and lubrication. One of the things that was interesting to me, that I didn't know, is that the grease doesn't really do the lubricating so much. I guess what happens is when it gets hot, a portion of the grease becomes liquid. Kinda like coming out of solution, not melting. So when things get hot, the liquid starts to separate out from the grease and provide lubrication. It sounds like the problem with over loading a bearing/lobro/cv joint with grease is that the liquid will have no where to go. Packing it so tightly will prevent the liquid portion of the grease from transporting to the appropriate places. At least that's what I've been able to determine from these conversations and other place. My problem was with finding out how much is appropriate for each application. A question which you answered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts