The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1900 - 'GOLFBALL' build - 2.4-AUTO-NITROUS.... Street car?

GolfBall

UPDATE: Feb 15th 2013

BUILT 2.4
BUILT 2g AUTO
AEM EMS
E85
40psi
NITROUS on the way

trackday_zps7abb699e.jpg

============================================================
hey everybody names Josh and i finally got me a vr4 project.

saved it from a field outside dallas texas.....

Code Name is Project Golfball - due to being white and lots of hail damage dents.

I MUST WARN YOU.... THE FOLOWING PICS ARE NOT PRETTY AND MAY SADDEN YOU....

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo2.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

Backstory is it has unfortunately been sitting for about 6 years.... after a lot of work we got er loaded up....

photo7.jpg
\

forgot to get outta the car befor we loaded it and i got stuck.... it was interesting gettin out....

photo8.jpg

anyways got big plans for this car....

the interior is in really good shape because they had it all covered but everything else is really rough.

Last edited:

GolfBall

Goals:

Number one goal is i wanna make it fast
then i wanna make it look good.

going for e-85, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, dsm link, prolly a t67 turbo, front mount.

Looks wise im gonna try my best to fix all these dents, pop em out, bondo em smooth, repaint the whole car.

Sadly since it has been sitting so long everythings got a nice heathy layer of RUST..... which sucks. the biggest victim so far seems to be the brakes.

WHAT brakes will swap into the vr4????

Welcome to the board. The first step should be getting it running, making sure everything is sound, change the timing belt, do a compression test and fix the brakes. The stock brakes are pretty good. There are people here that make brackets for 3000 gt calipers and pretty much you name it, you can put on these if you have enough skill to make your own brackets and a big enough offset on your wheels.

Just get it running and drive around for awhile and enjoy it. Don't over do it and get in over your head. Just make small changes at first and get used to the car.

NateCrisman

I suggest trying to find a cheap non rusted 1g awd parts car, just a shell without motor/trans would be great. you will find it very handy if the suspension, subframes, bolts, and such are all rusted up on this car.

Plus you can snag all the parts needed for 5lug hubs, 4WS removal, abs removal and those type of typical mods that many dragstrip oriented vr4's end up with. Get the larger rear swaybar, full set of brakes, and maybe even a good rear & axles.

good luck with the rebuild. Keep posting pics as you dig into it.

Any ideas on the condition of the original drivetrain?

Last edited:

Also a T67 turbo is super old school. They make alot better turbo's these days that will make much more power and spool twice as fast.

chucklesas

More Okies... if you need help with anything let me know. I've been playing with these cars for 10 years now.

jepherz

Staff member
Looks and sounds like it is in close to the same shape as my second one a year ago. After 4 months of hard work, I had a shiny coat of paint and a running car. I trusted the car to a 6 hour maiden voyage in 20* temps.

I hope you have the same luck I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hertz

Staff member
$5 says the ECU is a mess. Get that thing capped and repaired straight away.

You might have better luck replacing those body panels than pushing out so many dents. I know someone in IA who has a modified hood (white)...

NateCrisman

Not to mention saving the weight of 20lb of body filler!

fivestardsm

Woot, a Vigrin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif (I mean the car, unmolested)

Welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

How many miles? Hard to tell, but looks like driver's seat doesn't have the typical wear on the bolster; i'd say low mileage?

Did it go thru a hailstorm(s) or something? hood is easy to replace, hows the roof and trunklid. anyhow, looks like it has potential and good luck on it. As mentioned above, do all the basics first and get a solid foundation going then the mods are the easy and fun part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DR1665

I think I remember seeing that car listed here a while back. Wasn't it a soldier's car or something? I want to say I remember those pictures (or pictures like them) and the seller was talking about how it didn't run and had been hit by several hail storms while parked outside over the years.

Thanks for saving one! It's always good to hear stories like this.

Now click the link in my sig and drop me a PM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

GolfBall

yeah i guess i could have gave a little more detail.... i tried to post this up befor i went to work....

IM a huge car guy and have plently of mechanical and fabrication skill to take this car pretty much any direction i wanna go....

i did a full custom turbo setup on my 97 jetta vr6 AKA the screen name.... so im still trying to decide what direction i wanna take this galant.

AS FOR THE CAR....

got it home sunday night about 830pm.... got home from work monday about 6 and had the car up and driving around the block by about 11.....

seems the drivetrains ok... tranny is really difficult to shift... hear thats pretty common with 1g's....
motor sounds really strong... OH has 170,000 ish miles....

PIC_0381.jpg

when i took the valve cover off to check everything and pour oil and what not all over so i could start it up it all looked spotless....

PIC_0376.jpg

PIC_0377.jpg

POWER STEERING IS GONE..... i believe the pump is fine, pulled spins true and free but i found two of the lines going under the bottom back side of the engine bay are toast and leaked all over my driveway as soon as i tried to back out and turn the wheel....

i wanna just delete the rear steer and all that stuff and just run new lines for the front.

BRAKES: Not sure what the brakes are gonna take, im fine with using stock brakes but i have a feeling the calipers are pretty trashed.... it stops fine but doesn't let off when you release the pedal.

BODY: the car went through a really bad hail storm i was told... there is hail damage on pretty much every single pannel... hahahah... SAD THOUGH. im gonna try and just replace hood and trunk but the roofs gonna have to get some lovin....

Interior is deff nice.... im really glad they covered it all up befor it got parked....

PIC_0380.jpg

PIC_0379.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

i also have a white vr4 ....they are kool cars ...lol

p.s the white ones always go faster lmao

Terry Posten

I second the ECU repair ASAP.

Don't make a $300 mistake.

GolfBall

Quoting Hertz:
$5 says the ECU is a mess. Get that thing capped and repaired straight away.

You might have better luck replacing those body panels than pushing out so many dents. I know someone in IA who has a modified hood (white)...

Quote:
I second the ECU repair ASAP.

Don't make a $300 mistake.[/qoute]

what yall talking about.... if my ecu was trashed wouldn't it not run and drive.... is this a specific to galant issue?

turbowop

Yes, it's a gvr4 specific issue. If it hasn't had new capacitors installed, the old ones are ticking time bombs just waiting to leak acid on the board and ruin it. Or they already have but it hasn't eaten through any traces yet. Best to get it sorted and cleaned up before any issues.

deez

Nice find! Its not that bad, it will just take a lot of time and patience to make it what it could be. As everyone has already said, do the maintenance stuff first....timing belt, tensioners, ecu caps, etc. then once you have something solid and issue free, start modding. It helps to ask the people here how to attain your goals and what steps to take to get there. Whatever your goals are, someone here has done it.

chucklesas

I should be able to help you out with parts since I have a parts car. I can do your caps for you as well. Even have a spare non-eprom ECU if you need to use it for a little while. Although I'll still be busy with my car the next few weeks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts