The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The new turbo makes my crotch move!

324vr4

Threw the BNIB FP MHI e316g on last night...an AMAZING difference when compared to the eBay. It sounds completely different...which I'm assuming is b/c the WG is working properly...and it feels amazing...have the MBC set at 12psi for a while to sooth my boost addiction...spools 8psi by 2800 and full boost (12psi) by 3100....feels great...even sounds different....er...like a turbo is supposed to sound...I'm all smiles...I do have a question I'd like to address before I use the car more often. After operating temps are reached...the oil pressure is sitting around 20psi and under WOT at 12psi its hovering int he 75psi range...I am feeding it from the OFH and I'm thinking I need a restrictor....is this a valid assumption? What are the "ideal" oil pressures with such a turbo configuration? at idle and at full boost under WOT...full boost meaning the actual FULL boost of say 22-25psi...? I read somewhere that anything between 20-70psi is ideal...what size of restrictor would i need to try to reach those pressures instead of the higher one's I'm seeing now....Should i swap to a different type of oil? Currently using 10w30 non-syn...for another 500 miles...Or can I just clip a part of the metering spring off to accompany the lower the pressures I'm seeking...?

deez

I don't know about the oil pressure, but quit screwing around and crank it up to 20psi! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

324vr4

Lol I know I know...I have a frightening reminder that I always stray from...Every time I get something done on this thing as soon as I test drive around the block another thing pops up...er...starts leaking...so I'm being more careful and making sure it'll be able to hold up to what i want it to do...for every 3 psi I increase I want to be SURE it's not going to take me another week or two to find and fix it....but damn...I am SOOO ready to crank it up...motor's broken in and now I'm just going to keep the new turbo as close to OE specs as possible so I'm not wondering what happened if anything else occurs...I guess a good base point to start with...blah

I did locate a restricor that is supposedly worth a try for only $17 shipped...
click

324vr4

yeah that's not happening...took too long and too much work to make the OFH method work...I know that's the preferred method but I'm going to now attempt the restrictor option...have others done this? or is this looked down upon?

Polish

Well the stock oil feed line has a restrictor built in, so obviously Mitsu thought it was needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've seen with my own eyes a Mitsu Turbo smoke when hooked to the OFH, then the smoke cleared instantly once it was corrected and fed from the head like it is supposed to be.

324vr4

Nice call on the OE standards on the restrictor "built-in." But Polish, would you assume that if I tried this restrictor that's linked above, would that be sufficient? Or hasn't anyone had luck with such a compromise like I'm trying?! Either way, I know it can be remedied back to OE standards for about $20 worth of parts to cap off the OFH and feed the turbo from the head...I've already bought the inline oil restrictor and I'm hoping it will work close enough to Mitsu standards....thanks for the feedback on your experiences and if anyone HAS done what I'm attempting I would greatly appreciate any feedback...

324vr4

and for peace of mind, can someone help me remember what size the banjo fitting are coming off the head and going to the turbo itself?! M14x1.5? M12?

*****Found it... 10x1.25 (head banjo)

Last edited:

Polish

Quoting 324vr4:
Nice call on the OE standards on the restrictor "built-in." But Polish, would you assume that if I tried this restrictor that's linked above, would that be sufficient? Or hasn't anyone had luck with such a compromise like I'm trying?! Either way, I know it can be remedied back to OE standards for about $20 worth of parts to cap off the OFH and feed the turbo from the head...I've already bought the inline oil restrictor and I'm hoping it will work close enough to Mitsu standards....thanks for the feedback on your experiences and if anyone HAS done what I'm attempting I would greatly appreciate any feedback...

I'd say that should do the trick, I didn't click the link the first time I replied. I am not sure what size hole the stock feed line has but it's pretty small, much like the restrictor you linked. Should work fine but I've never tried it that way to say for sure.

GVR4_1057

I know that on the FP ball bearing turbos they recomend a .8MM (.032")restictor in the OFH feed line.

mikus

14x1.5
Call FP about the restrictor question, you're a customer and they know their stuff.

Terry Posten

I would not use dino oil unless your breaking in rings. Use only synth. It has a higher heat range and will not "coke" inside the center section.

Yeah, what they said. Turn that up to at least 18 as long as your ecu has been chipped.

8psi lol.. turn that sucka up with the supporting mods. I run mine off the head with a micro filter inline. #78 see's 25+ psi with our evo3, thats which 750's and a stg3 kd chip along with all other supporting mods, all with 0 knock throughout the rpm band. Push that thing and then you will really crap your pants.. nothing beats 25psi before 3500 on the street.

BluFalcon

FP sells an inline filter for MHI journal bearing turbos running off the oil filter housing. I believe the restrictor orifice is sized at .100. Personally I'd rather have a larger volume of filtered oil going to my turbo, so I run mine off the filter housing. But I do know that everyone has their own opinions on the subject.

Last edited:

324vr4

Stock feed line has a .125" orifice, but running off the head it has less pressure to start with...the restrictor I'm going ot try is a .078 orifice...paired up with the higher pressures it should be just about right for what I have. I will not have an inline filter to the turbo...not yet anyways...

Also, the reasoning behind the use of the "dino" oil was due to the fact that I had several oil leaks last few times of working on it and literally did 12 oil changes on this thing trying to locate it...fill it, test drive it and find more leaks and drain it and repeat the steps....I just kept buyign the "shitty" oil until the leaks were all found and addressed....so far there's one more small leak from removing the oil pan several times where it mates to the tranny housing, the motor block and the oil pan...nothing too major but it NEEDS to be fixed prior to throwing it on the Dynometer...

And 8 psi is only what i observed when it started to boost at 2800RPM; the MBC is set to 12 psi and it rips for just being at that...almost feels more potent then when I had the eBay Chinese sh*t turbo set at 23...so I AM excited to turn up the boost but I'm trying to be more careful on how I get there so its not down for another year sitting int he garage as I regain the patience to work on it...I know it should be fine to 25 right now but there's nothing wrong with starting slow and edging it closer to it's sweet spot...

The AFRs are looking dialed in and the chip seems to be doing its job...no knock as of yet but the low boost is the reasoning behind that....My buddy and I are doing more tuning endeavors on the chip and look to get the most out of the beast here soon...more timing down low, extended map, smoothed fuel/timing curves...blah blah blah...its close....

324vr4

Got the oil restrictor installed...took 7 mins...reeeal easy...and after driving it now there is no more James Bond smoke screen under boost...so that is a relief. Car feels great...its loud as sh*t with that screamer pipe but other than that its a rollin' strong...the oil pressure on cold start ups is around 55 and after it reaches operating temperatures it hovers down to 15ish at idle and up to 57psi under WOT (MBC set to 15.2psi now) so I'm assuming once we increase the boost to 20+ we should be in the "safe" range of no more than 70psi...

Going to drive it around a while at it's current boost level and gradually increase...looking forward to feeling it's full potential after we tune it...Thanks for everyone's help and advice on this project...will post photos once its ready and clean...

Rausch

Oil pressure should not change with more boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifIf you rev higher, maybe, but other wise it should stay about the same.

324vr4

Awwwwe touche' Rausch...then it looks I am well within the "safe" zone...time for more boost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

324vr4

I have a concern after romping around on my lunch break in the beast...I cranked the boost to 20psi...its solid as it hits it...BUT with my setup I'm not sure if its normal I bought the FP e316g in it's OE form and threw it on...the WG opens or starts to open at exactly 9psi...I have a screamer pipe so its not recirc'd but it feels like it is not AS thrusting above 15 psi as my old Chinese setup...could the WG be opening prematurely? I am reaching 20psi boost but the WG opens earlier than I assumed it would. Doesn't the OE WG open at 14.7 or is that only open FULLY at that level? Or should I just tighten the WG actuator arm so its as tight as possible...and I suppose if that doesn't work I'll call FP for assistance...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned