The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 no longer looks like a monster truck - new pics

NateCrisman

I did some new mods on #139 this week since getting back from vacation in florida:

641424945_JfnUk-L.jpg

Set of D2 coilovers I picked up. They are used, but seem to be in great shape. Cleaned up nicely.
Weights: Fronts are 12.25lb each, the rears are 8.25lb each
Replaced standard type shocks that came in at 18.75lb & 13.5lb each respectivly.
Total weight loss from coilovers: 23.5lb

641425516_uTJQb-L.jpg

I left the height adjustment at what the previous owner had. I'll work on the adjustment and alignment over this week. I'd like to find a height setting that rides well and can fit my track tires without having to raise it. if not, no biggie to raise the car every time the tires change. I'd like to find the correct wrenches for the shock instead of using the hammer/punch method..didn't get the tool with the shocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

641426541_dA6jE-L.jpg

YEAH. I got a nice set of green roof rails. Thanks Matt! That was the last exterior part I was missing. (still need to change the rear bumper cover and ditch the 50lb support)

641424520_xP378-L.jpg

Also picked up a set of Hooser QTP's (26 x 9.5 x 16). Mounted them to a set of 16x7 prime wheels I had around, unfortunatly the wheels are hefty 18.75lb. The hoosiers are 17.5lb each for a total wheel/tire combo weight of just over 36lb. The 17" street wheel/tires shown above are just over 39lb, so another 12 lb off the total weight. That's 12lb of rotating weight too.

641426142_tfqV8-L.jpg

While I should gain a TON of time in the 60', I will lose some gearing due to the tire height as these are quite a bit taller than my street tires. Whatever, Ill take 1.5's over 1.8's and spinning through first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Can't wait to get back to the track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
That looks like a decent height Nate. Hopefully the Hoosiers will clear at that height.

NateCrisman

Iv still got a good 2 or 3" of thread left on the shock to raise both ends. I'm sure it's going to have to go up atleast an inch more just to get the tire inside the fender. Most likely Im going to end up having to raise/lower the car when going from street to drag tires. no big deal I guess.

CarRacer

If you are forced to move the shocks when you change tires, make a mark on one side of each adjuster ring and count the number of turns you make. That should help keep the weights of each corner the same and not throw stuff too out of whack. I think a full turn of the adjuster rings equaled 5 pounds of corner weight iirc from weighing my car.

NateCrisman

I guess I should try and find someone in my area with the corner scales to set this thing up before I got nuts on trying to get the alignment perfect.

quick question to anyone that might know. seems there are two adjustments on the shock:

the lower coil mount is obviously threaded as well as the lower mount. I'm not really sure on how to go about adjusting it. Lowering the spring perch lowers the car, but also reduces shock travel. So should I be adjusting the vehicle height via turning the shock body within the lower mount?

turbowop

Changing the height of the spring perch compresses the main spring, changing its rate. If you wanted to go lower than the height of the spring, it would rattle around like a set of Ground Controls. Since you have adjustable bodies, adjust those for ride height instead.

My Tein HA's don't have adjustable bodies, but they use helper springs under the main springs so I can adjust the height of the spring perch without compressing the main spring or letting them dangle. The helper springs compress under the weight of the car so whether they're compressed or not at full extension doesn't matter.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
Changing the height of the spring perch compresses the main spring, changing its rate. If you wanted to go lower than the height of the spring, it would rattle around like a set of Ground Controls. Since you have adjustable bodies, adjust those for ride height instead.

My Tein HA's don't have adjustable bodies, but they use helper springs under the main springs so I can adjust the height of the spring perch without compressing the main spring or letting them dangle. The helper springs compress under the weight of the car so whether they're compressed or not at full extension doesn't matter.

Ok, ground controls are the only "coilover" setup Iv ever used myself previously, where the only option was moving the perch. But this really does make alot of sense in that you can adjust the ride height without changing the shock travel. Nice. Can't wait to play with it tomorrow. hopefully there is enough thread left on the shock body to raise it an inch or so to fit the taller tire.

I'm going to try and use the Iphone angle finder to setup the camber & toe. hahaha. It worked when building my apartment to cut all the sheetrock angles, should be ballpark atleast.

Will take some new pics of the car sitting on the hoosiers once I get it off the lift.

JSchleim18

Looking pretty sweet Nate!

I am happy the coilovers cleaned up so well. They almost look new. I am sorry about not having the tool for the D2's. The previous owner didn't have them. I am happy that you were happy with the slicks and coilovers

Good luck at the track!

2of9

car looks goood! and those Hoosiers look massive.

NateCrisman

Quoting JSchleim18:
Looking pretty sweet Nate!

I am happy the coilovers cleaned up so well. They almost look new. I am sorry about not having the tool for the D2's. The previous owner didn't have them. I am happy that you were happy with the slicks and coilovers

Good luck at the track!

Thanks again, yeah, it was a real good deal, Im super pumped about the whole thing. (other than the drive home with a massive headache...cig smoke gets to me real fast, that's why I was so anxious to get out of there, but I was trying to not be rude).

anyway, the tool is no big deal. Franks has an extra and Iv sent an email to D2 to see about them sending me a set along with any instructions/papers. Ill get a set somewhere along the line. All I did to clean them up was a quick rinse in degreaser w/ paintbrush action. Boy you aren't kidding these are stiff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The hoosiers all hold air fine and have plenty of meat left. Can't wait to get them on the car and try a 7000rpm launch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif If they pull my 60' from a 1.82 down to a 1.5xx that should take my 11.9 @ 120 to something in the 11.3 to 11.4 range. oh, I can't wait. Im thinking next wednesday for a track trip.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting 2of9:
car looks goood! and those Hoosiers look massive.

yeah, they are pretty big tires, Id say a solid 3" taller and 2" wider than my street tires (215 45 17). Plus they grow at speed.

Spent yesterday afternoon and a couple hours this morning going over the car with polishing compound. Then onto wax this afternoon.

curtis

Mile per hour should jump as well from the tire height. 12 pounds off resip weight is a tenth as well and the sping rate increase will definitely help plant the tires.

Should be rocking the next trip to the track.

NateCrisman

Also will drop the 39.5lb rear bumper support & 8lb of foam. I really want to get my nicer rear bumper cover on, the one on the car now was spray bombed without clear and doesn't even come close to matching.

so 47.5lb from the rear bumper, 23.5 from the coilovers, 12 from the tires: 83lb off the car total is worth just under a tenth of ET as well. The car should weigh right about 2877 without me. (was 2960 at Etown before these mods). I can cut 45lb of wasted weight off the drive too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

No matter what, the car should go faster than last time, just a matter of how much faster.

I better order a wideband today! my LC1 has decided to just stop working all together. Guess Ill order a new one today, swap it out, then send the old one back to Innovate to see if they can fix it under warranty. then offload that one when it comes back.

Last edited:

Where did you pick up those Hoosiers? I want a gently used set in 16 that are not as tall.

JSchleim18

I sold them to him when I bought a set of used 16x8 Volk TE37 in bronze. The slicks were already on the wheels and I had no need for them. I figured I'd hook him up with the coilovers and the slicks.

NateCrisman

646428351_vZuHi-L.jpg

646427842_5KrCG-L.jpg

646429259_3yUgo-L.jpg

646430085_fBy5S-L.jpg

646430524_yPm4B-L.jpg

Fresh coat of wax after a full body rub with polishing compound. Rear bumper cover needs to be swapped for a matching paint one, and front cover need TLC for tar/bugs/chips

646429797_BHqdP-L.jpg

Love that AEM Tru-boost controller. works awesome.

atc250r

Staff member
That's f'ing HAWT!

John

a2vr4

"thats one badd b*tch!!" is what immediately came to mind when I saw the pictures with the hoosiers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif awesome! nuff said.
~Brian

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned