The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 point harness

prove_it

I got a free Corbeau 3 point race harness and I was wondering where everyone has installed the mount points? I know the top belt needs to be as perpendicular as possible so I was thinking the rear rear belt top bolt, but what about the lap belt mounts? could you install them at the seat bolts? I want to remove and install the belt easily since I only need it for auto-X.

prove_it

A seat belt that connects to the frame at three points and helps hold your butt down in slippery leather seats.
Click and peek.
click

curtis

I built mounts for my seat and have tabs welded on but I have built brackets that simply bolt under the back two seat mounting points as for the rear you can find a place in the back package try and drill a hole and then take two large panel washers to make a doubler or get two 3 x 6 x 1/8 pieces of steel and drill holes in each corner and bolt together, put one under and one over the package tray and have a mount of some kind sticking out the top. Just want to make sure its not just a hole with a bolt going through it cause that could easily pull out in a crash.

CarRacer

Are there harness bars available anymore? Are 3 speed ones still available?

turbowop

There are two plugs in the rear package tray. I thought those were threaded under the plugs for a strap that runs to a baby seat? Possible to use them?

If not, the rear lap belt mounts don't put the shoulder belts at a terrible angle if you use them.

prove_it

my shoulders sit just above the seat, if I mounted the top harness to the rear lap belt mounts, I would crush my spine in a crash. not quite the safety I want.

CarRacer

Those lap mounts would work for autox only use I'd think. I'm not sure hitting a cone is a spine crushing affair.

number3

prove_it

Quoting CarRacer:
Those lap mounts would work for autox only use I'd think. I'm not sure hitting a cone is a spine crushing affair.

Your right it wouldn't hurt you, but you have to pass a safety inspection and improperly mounted belts will disqualify you.

turbowop

If you wanna get really technical, you could say harnesses are too dangerous to use in a car without a roll bar, because if the car were to roll over and crush the roof it could break your neck as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I doubt you'd get flagged by tech for having them mounted at the rear lap belt location.

prove_it

true true, how very true. I appreciate the positive feedback from all.

Polish

I had my 3 points mounted to all factory points. The upper belts were mounted to the factory bolt holes in the upper rear seat belt mount on the C pillars. It put them at an odd angle and pulled harder on one shoulder than the other. Not ideal at all but it held me in the seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8377540035_large.jpg

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
There are two plugs in the rear package tray. I thought those were threaded under the plugs for a strap that runs to a baby seat? Possible to use them?

If not, the rear lap belt mounts don't put the shoulder belts at a terrible angle if you use them.

I would suggest checking out what Mark says. Those are reinforced mounting points with weld nuts if they are there.

turbowop

I just went out and checked on my car. The threaded holes are there, but they're not as big as the lap belt points for the rear seat.

curtis

A fix for the spine thing is find some bushings with the id the same as the headrest posts. Then mark the height you need to clear your shoulders, then weld in a larger bar/tube etc from side to side. Then route the belts under the headrest but above the new bar.

prove_it

if i did that though, I wouldn't be able to take the belt out and return it to stock after racing. I got installed at the rear top seat belt mount. It seems to work good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned