The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

$3.33 catch can special

JNR

Well, I was talking about this in another post, so figure I'll add a thread...this is for the GTO (vr4 already has one similar), but thought I'd post it up anyway.

Got the (blue) stainless can on sale for $3.33 and had all the other stainless stuff. Made he nipples on the lathe and inside the longer tube ('inlet') slotted and screened on the and will probably put some steel wool in there. The 'outlet' (vacuum) nipple is just welded on the can. Put some hose and bam, instant cheap catch can!

Started off blue:

you can see longer screen nipple in this pic...the magic of stripper:

Looks like it's just floating:

But, made a bracket to attach to existing 'studs':

Anyway, I was real happy with the progress until the shop messed it up with the welds and I had to mickey mouse some JB weld to keep it sealed (vacuum); luckily it's on the backside and you can't see it...still, shame after all that cutting and drilling by hand, lol.

cheekychimp

Damn that looks good. Did you incorporate anything to drain it or do you have to take the whole thing out?

Polish

That is pretty sweet for so cheap, where did you get the can at?

Olson

ummm deatatch it and drain from the lid..... it looks like a SS mug :p

AWDnot2

The shape looks exactly like my LL Bean thermos. That's an awesome ider!

CarRacer

Don't lie, it's secretly a bong. Just hidden in your engine compartment.

J/k it looks like a very cool project on the cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

AWDnot2

What did you spray on it to get the finish off? Aircraft stripper?

slobra

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Thats awesome.

You can get them at cheap retail stores like Marshalls. My girlfriend just got one of these at the Christmas Tree Shop.

Brianawd

Nice. My friend and I just made one just like yours about 4 months ago. Tuned out nice and works great. I was going to make one for my car to but ended up finding something I forgot I had. I think I got this back in like 2001 and its been sitting packed away in a box all this time. I so forgot I even had it.

I am going to to a little bit of modding to it. Like add a drain at the bottom and two more fittings on the side. So I can run two breathers from the valve cover to the can and then two lines from the can to the intake pipe.

JNR

That's cool and looks good...if you got it, hook it up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I may do another one down the road, but wanted to get something on there, as it's something I should've done 50k miles ago! I had some scrap sitting around and enjoy making things, so figured I'll thro something together.

I thought about a drain, but it's easy enough to remove with the two bolts and at that time, I'd do a thorough cleaning of the unit, also. Might add one though later on down the road...depends how frequently I'll be dumping it out, I suppose.

I used some of that wood stripper (good for metal too) that we had in the cabinet. Stuff works great, but I wish I was more patient, so I wouldn't have to keep putting more on, since I didn't wait long enough. It's messy and still need to scrub a bit, but sure beats sanding it down!

I made the bracket, nipple and gusset plate out of 304 ss that I had around and sure sucks having to cut that by hand (i.e. wished I had a bandsaw and my drillpress working again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )..All that and the guy who welded it got overzealous and burned right thru it, then tried to fix it with a big glob of weld, lol. There was still a pinhole and part of the canister got pulled in (dent), but least it's all in the back. I ground it down and put some trusty jb weld, let it dry, put the vacuum pump n it and found another leak from a welding crack, argh...more jb and now it holds 25" vac, so I'm happy.

Ha ha on the bong...yeah, should've heard the rumours going around work and the shop, lol.

oh yeah, walgreens had these on a sale a few weeks back...thinner than I expected, but it works...As I mentioned, probably come up with something else down the road, or better yet, better the vr4 one I have.

I posted my vr4 one a few years ago and the only pic I have on my hdd is the one below..it does not show the air breather I usually run on that one...The GTO's is a little different, where it routes the crankcase right into the intake plenum. I don't think it would work properly using a breather filter on the GTO, since you would have to plug off the intake nipple (or vac leak) and there would be nothing to help 'pull' the gasses from the crankcase...the mitsu (turbo) works a little different of course, and if I ever go forced induction, I better remember to install a check valve, or the pressue going backwards may not be good, ha ha

Last edited:

JNR

I have a screen in the tube (and open slots) to catch some oil from the vapors, but I was thinking about putting some steel wool in there, also. Probably not a bad idea and can't imagin it causing too much (vacuum) restriction. I wanted to take a look inside after a few days and see if I can see the oil 'mess' coming up towards the top (where the vacuum nipple [outlet] is) and see how much it is 'sucking' up the actual oil. I have some 4/0 steel wool, but thinking maybe I should get something a little more course (open).

cheekychimp

JNR,

Ever thought about doing something similar for the One Lap Guys? They need a catch can and they are on a budget. They need guys with skills like yours to get them sorted out on a shoestring budget.

Paul.

JNR

Well, I do like doing things on a budget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've thought about making things similar to this, for other things; mostly car stuff...it's just something I would like to do. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources (time, money, and some equipment) to do many items (onesies-twosies are no prob) and I'm quite particular on making sure things look nice (nicer than this piece with regards to the welds; I don't blame the shop, but it's just a shame as it would've came out really nice, I think).

Nowm if I had access to a CNC machine and could weld like Chris, well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Perhaps you can diagram some parts on graph paper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned