The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV location for my new IC setup

belize1334

Some of you may remember the 6x6 PWR air/water IC setup that I was running. I found that it wasn't quite as awesome as I had once hoped and as such it is being replaced by the monstrosity you see here.

To finish the install I have to adapt my turbo outlet elbow and I also have to mount the BOV (and find a nice curvy upper radiator hose). From the research I've done there seems to be a bit of debate about whether it is preferable to mount the BOV before or after the IC core and there seem to be arguments both ways. As a simple fitment issue it either comes down to hard-mounting it on the end-tank AFTER the core or incorporating it into the j-pipe. That being said -- and with my flame suit securely in place -- I await your comments and suggestions.

P.S. I know that there is also debate about the suitability of air/water intercooling on a daily driver. Let's please leave that discussion for another thread and restrict this conversation to the fitment issue at hand and theoretical debates about BOV location and functionality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

belize1334

I think if I do it on that end-tank it'll actually be on the underside with the flange facing down. The tank is flatter on that section which would make it easier to weld a flange. Also, since I'm recirculating it seems like finding a hose that will have 2 90 bends in just the right places is less likely that finding a hose w/ one bend and a long straight section.

turbowop

Oh, yeah, that sounds fine as well. Sounds like you know what needs to be done, so have at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

CarRacer

I agree with Wop's analogy to a balloon. It doesn't matter where you pop the balloon with a needle, the air rushes out the same. Put the BOV wherever it's easiest to mount.

Good luck and it looks like an interesting setup. Nothing wrong with being different.

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i tried finding the thread but it was from years ago... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quoting CarRacer:
I agree with Wop's analogy to a balloon. It doesn't matter where you pop the balloon with a needle, the air rushes out the same. Put the BOV wherever it's easiest to mount.

Good luck and it looks like an interesting setup. Nothing wrong with being different.

Actually, for shits. I did find it and it was a year ago. Didn't take that long.

click

I just need a public apology. That's all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

CarRacer

My mistake.

I guess I mistook a crackhead look alike with a beard for a former dirty hippie with dreds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif :rofl

^Worst apology ever!

Anywho, I like the new IC but I would a big j pipe made if you aren't already.

belize1334

I'm not sure how I missed that BOV thread. I usually keep up w/ all the tech discussions on the boar but I apparently let that one slip by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. Anyway, I think I'm just gonna get the j-pipe that I have rewelded so that it points straight up. It's a RRE mandrel 1.875" which is already bigger than the turbo outlet so I don't think it'll be a flow restriction. Getting it pointed straight up I can connect it to a 6" piece of 2" mandrel aluminum that I have and then couple straight into the IC. I know alot of people run bigger than 2" but I really can't see 6" worth being a restrition w/ a gentle bend basically right on the turbo outlet.

CarRacer

Sorry for crapping on your thread.

I just remember that pic of Mark with the seashell crack pipe. I know Jay doesn't look or act like a hippie either.

Hertz

Staff member
After the core will give you twice-chilled air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

belize1334

Well it's done. Got the j-pipe welded and I got a flange put on for the bov. I have to give a Huge thanks to 324vr4 (Ryan and Richie) for contributing their time to help a poor grad student like me get this going.

Anyway, I did the Dejon BOV mod and now the BOV is fluttering (compressor surge?) when I let off at low boost. Does anyone know where I can get a 3-way pressure actuated pilot valve like the one they sell in their kit? I'd rather not pay them $50 for just the valve if I can find it on my own for cheaper.

324vr4

Lookin' sharp Roger...I'm curious to see how much "better" this setup will be compared to your previous setup...Where did you decide to mount the IC? Tranny, subframe? Face?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts