The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Palm logger help

Ok, I have been using a Palm III for data logging. My home pc finally took a dump so I upgraded to a laptop with Windows Vista and no serial port. I know of serial to usb adapters, but does anyone know if I can find software compatable with Vista, the adapter and a very old Palm? Thanks again for the help.

Steve

spoulson

You should be able to just use a USB cradle instead of the serial one.

cspetros

The Palm III only had a serial based cradle, IIRC. I've read quite a few complaints about how Vista isn't compatible with Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (The last Palm Desktop that supported the Palm III series).

I suggest using (or obtaining) an old POS computer that has serial ports and an earlier version of Windows on it. I have an old Windows 2000 PC in my basement that I use for stuff that requires a serial port.

You'll only need the PC
1] To get the logger program onto the Palm
2] If your Palm's batteries die and the logger program gets wiped
3] If you plan on transferring logs off the Palm to your PC.
4] If you actually use the Palm for keeping your phone numbers, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

A friend of mine here in Asheville just gets me to beam MMCd from my Palm over to his Palm whenever his batteries die (he has an M105). He rarely connects it to his PC.

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about just building a cheap pc as suggested. I don't know. I guess I will just get the car running and figure it out later. Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned